Approx 40l electric coolbox (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We always have a debate over fridge space. Never enough room for food, beer etc but always space for SWMBO's wine. I have decided to get an electric coolbox. Looking for approx 40 litre capacity, 12v and 240v preferred but not essential. Any recommendations or anyone have one they don't use and would like to sell?

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I bought one fro Aldi £29.95 it`s ok for beers:thumb::thumb:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Broken Link Removed

armytwowheels got one for sale in this thread:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks, but I think it was a fridge and it has gone.

chat/86858-quick-sale-shots-9.html[/url]

armytwowheels got one for sale in this thread:Smile:[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Word of caution before you spend the hard earned.. don't expect them to work anywhere near as good as a proper fridge.. they don't..

They will keep pre cooled products cool.. put warm beer in and it will take days to get it anywhere near cold.. also in hot weather they can only reduce the ambient by about 15 deg.
So when the ambient is 25deg.. box temperature 10 deg..

Check the data before buying some claim to go 20deg

I have one and found it useful, as said will keep your drinks and sandwiches nice and cool provided they are pre-cooled before travel and the box has been running for a few hours before packing.. .. but it's not a fridge..

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Word of caution before you spend the hard earned.. don't expect them to work anywhere near as good as a proper fridge.. they don't..

They will keep pre cooled products cool.. put warm beer in and it will take days to get it anywhere near cold.. also in hot weather they can only reduce the ambient by about 20 deg.

I have one and found it useful, as said will keep your drinks and sandwiches nice and cool provided they are pre-cooled before travel and the box has been running for a few hours before packing.. .. but it's not a fridge..

I've got a 40 litre one (Peltier based) and although I was expecting as you say, I find that it is actually able to cool down reasonable quantities of beer. It takes a few hours, but if I stick it on in the morning with no more than 5 litres of beer and wine, they are genuinely cold by late afternoon. If left overnight, it can be filled and be cold by lunchtime.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've got a 40 litre one (Peltier based) and although I was expecting as you say, I find that it is actually able to cool down reasonable quantities of beer. It takes a few hours, but if I stick it on in the morning with no more than 5 litres of beer and wine, they are genuinely cold by late afternoon. If left overnight, it can be filled and be cold by lunchtime.

fair comment..

just that if you've never had one you're expectations may exceed the actual performance.. useful if you understand the limitations..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i have one of the lidl/aldi ones and find that it works well on 240v but just about manages to maintain temperature on 12v. to cool it down quickly add a few freezer blocks or a bag of frozen peas. drops the temperature of the beer down nicely and you can even fit 2ltr bottles of pop in too

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Why not get one of the beer fridges that are on offer in most supermarkets at the moment being football season generally under £100 and most coming with beer

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Good suggestion and appreciated but I , sorry , we would like the 12v option as well:thumb:

Why not get one of the beer fridges that are on offer in most supermarkets at the moment being football season generally under £100 and most coming with beer

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good suggestion and appreciated but I , sorry , we would like the 12v option as well:thumb:

Not a problem.. while travelling you could run it off a small 12v - 230v inverter.. and on site use the 230v..

If not on an EHU then whether it's 12v or 230v doesn't matter as you won't be able to use it as it would flatten the battery in within a few hours..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have an Aldi 12 volt mains one sitting at home unused since I bought the Dometic 3 way. The 12 volt only ones eat batteries and are only any good if you plug them in the mains at home and chill them down before using on 12 volt. The Dometic 3 way works fine when travelling on 12 volt and I have a dedicated gas bottle in the garage for that and my oven when no hookup. When on site just plug it into the mains. The Dometic 3 way will freeze if given time so is more use.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
An expensive option (although more affordable secondhand) and SO good on either 240v or 12v.

One word.

Engel.

You'll not get better. And it'll never lose much in value, so although they're expensive to buy, you'll always get most of that back if you do ever sell.

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Aldi last had them I in June 2013 but are getting them in again at the end of this June as well:thumb:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Ok folks they went on sale yesterday in Aldi. £39.99. I've got one and it is cooling the beer down ready for the weekend trip. Another question. I have noticed a few people keeping them outside with the cable going in through a window. It says to keep it out of the rain or damp. Not that I plan on leaving it out in the rain but just though this might be a bit iffy. I have fought about placing it on its side under the moho to keep it out of the weather. Would this affect it's operation?
TIA:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason they should not be left outside is that the motor is in the lid. There are 2 vents on the top, one sucks air in and the other blows air out. If it did rain water would go straight into the electrics. Another thing I found with the Aldi model is that over a period of time dust and debris gets sucked into the cooling system and the fan becomes noisy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ok folks they went on sale yesterday in Aldi. £39.99. I've got one and it is cooling the beer down ready for the weekend trip. Another question. I have noticed a few people keeping them outside with the cable going in through a window. It says to keep it out of the rain or damp. Not that I plan on leaving it out in the rain but just though this might be a bit iffy. I have fought about [HI]placing it on its side under the moho to keep it out of the weather. Would this affect it's operation?[/HI]
TIA:Smile:

yes.. it will .. as explained by Dave, they work by sucking in air, cooling it across a heat exchange plate and at the same time, exhausting the hot air.

in the box, the cold air falls, hot air rises.. on it's side, the cold air wouldn't fall to the bottom of the box.. it will still cool to some degree but not as good.

problem I found, unless full of heavy cans or bottles, being top heavy they topple over easily and need restraining when travelling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back