Approaching junctions abroad whilst travelling alone

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by solitaire woman, May 28, 2009.

1. solitaire woman

solitaire woman Read Only Funster

Just wondered how people manage with a rhd vehicle when they are driving alone on the continent. At some junctions and especially on motorways it is somtimes difficult. Previously I have always had someone with me and been able for them to confirm that the way is clear, sometimes the lead up road makes it almost impossible to see out of my passenger side wing mirror if the way is clear of traffic.
    Wondered if there were any adapters for the wing mirror (like caravan extenders) for motorhomes. Wasnt sure if a caravan extender would be at a good angle to help.
    Hope it doesnt sound a daft question!
    Thanks all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

something like this would do the trick......blindspot mirror.... from Halfrauds.

bit small but you would be at a standstill anyway normally so plenty of time to study it.

looks like it swivels right round so would be ideal on your left hand mirror.

3. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

This is always a difficulty, I am lucky as I have my wife with me but I always drive as if she is not there, IE I trust nobody with my safety.

So some of the things I do to get around the problem.

1/ I very rarely overtake

2/ I always try to arrive at junctions at 90' to the road I am joining, sometimes this means I have to sit half across the other lane.

3/ I have 2 movable mirror on each side and I am constantly adjusting them for the best view, think ahead and get ready.

4/ I use the hazard lights if they will help

Doug...

4. weejohnw

weejohnw Funster

to see or not to see

Hi there, I was troubled by this too, and am due to head off to the continent in a few weeks time - although I will have company, my wife sleeps a lot, whilst I drive!
    Fitted truck style blind spot mirrors to our A class, ( about 10- 12 quid each) - they are terrific - it is possible to see way out wide- I thought they would be great for motorway driving here , never mind away far away in foreign parts.
    Regards, WeeJohn

5. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

A second recomendation for truck size blind spot mirrors,

A truck accessory place will have a vast selection, or a truck stop (like motorway services, south mimms on the M25, Barton services up north etc)

Failing that a motorhome accessory dealer, but you'll be charged prolly double because the packaging will have the magic words 'motorhome' on it.

Can get them to pole mount for truck style mirrors on D arms, or clamp on ones for the more modern trucks, busses and motorhomes that have mirrors in fairings,

You can get some really wide angle mirrors nowadays, can almost see behind it's self :BigGrin:

if you wanted to go all high tech, and have a reversing monitor and camera, get a second camera and fix it pointing through the passengers window.

6. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

Blind spot mirrors are good.

Also, don't be afraid to stop well short of the actual junction so that you can see what is coming.

7. blue_sky

blue_sky Read Only Funster

As said before,
    Plan the junction as you approach
    Use all the road if needed (also stand a better chance of been let out this way).
    I can see quite a lot through the habitation windows on my van, so if they may be usable remember this when approaching the junction an position your van accordingly.
    Remember to open the blinds and tie back any curtains before you set off.

8. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Using hazard warning lights while in motion is illigal dude :Wink:

I use an extra curb mirror angled back so I can see up the road I am entering as I am a lone member (or Billynomates if u prefer :BigGrin:)..........................Simples! (squeek)

Boo

9. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

All the above is very good advice but remember the traffic is a lot closer than it appears with a very wide view mirror. Give it plenty use before going abroad to get used to it and try to position the van better on the road rather than relying on wide view mirrors. Consider them to be only an aid if at all possible. :thumb:

10. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

It sounds like one of the most sensible questions i have read, and just by posting it it gives me a great deal of confidence in your driving ability, as it shows you are thinking about what you are doing and that in its self makes you a very safe driver.

Braunston

11. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hope it doesnt sound a daft question!
    Thanks all.

Its certainley not a daft question. I posted the same question a few weeks ago only my hm is a class c LHD and om some occasions I cant see to my right. I'm lucky because I have SWMBO next to me but it can be unnerving when you are pulling out blind.

I have listened to the advice from other funsters but still havent come up with a satisfactory solution. Ive looked at a few mirrors but they wont do it. For the time being I just take over the road with hazard light on. Its better to be safe than legal.
    Cheers
    Jim
    :Smile:

12. solitaire woman

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will have a look at some of the mirrors that have been mentioned. It's a great site for information, isn't it! Have another question regarding trailers for scooters, but will post that seperately.

13. muz

muz Read Only Funster

mirrors

hi,i bought a great mirror on ebay its like a periscope but on its side,its mounts on the dash with a suction mounting and you set it once and its done.i have a left hand drive rv and use it all the time.i will have a look for the box tomorrow to get the make and part number,its fantastic but i havent seen any more advertized.if anyone wants to look at it we will be at stratford from monday for the week.silver white hurricane rv.MUZ

14. solitaire woman

That sounds interesting, hope you can find the name of it. In the meantime I'll try google
    though heaven knows what description I put in!

15. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi we have just got back from 8 weeks in Spain traveled from Dunkirk to Benicassim in Spain no trouble BUT on the way back we got lost in Barcalona no road markings on a Y junction we were following the satnav back to the motorway at no more than 20 mph when we was hit on the rear corner by a car that was speeding through the junction so take care as it is not only your driving you have to worry about. but it did not spoil the holiday with little damage to our van but one less speeding peaugot to worry about. Peter & Lynn:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

16. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Not true! What country? Who said while moving? suggest engage gear before letting out clutch!

Doug...

17. muz

muz Read Only Funster

mirrors

hi solitaire woman,having trouble with my pc this morning [im not very good],ive found the name of the mirror,its roadscanner,made in sweden,patent no2199001,i have tried to put pictures on,here goes,

18. muz

muz Read Only Funster

mirrors

just some more details,can be used for lhd in uk,and for rhd abroad,fits on wings,dash,n/s or o/s its made so you can use it to overtake if pointed foward or as i have mounted it to the side so i can see on aproch to islands ect,i personaly find it brill and a realy good tool,but as everybody says you have to be carefull and not to rush and have a good look.hope this helps,as i said if anyone wants a look we will be at stratford from monday.cheers MUZ

19. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Why do they advise you to use your hazards on motorway when approaching stationary traffic.:Eeek:

20. muz

muz Read Only Funster

mirrors

found the sole uk distributors richard grant motor accessories ltd.eaton bray.bedfordshire.sorry no tel number or postcode.there is a part number aswell RSM1 and barcode 5 015399 970013 this is all in smallprint on the roadscanner box.MUZ