LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
Hi all i am about embark on the longest journey i have made in MH to Marjel .I will be driving solo and i am apprehensive about crossing pyranees,can anyone give me a good safe route?The furthest south ive been is bordeaux but never travelled to Spain i am concerned about where to cross the pyranees and worried about snow,do i need snow chains?any advise would be gratefully appreciated.Booked out p o ferry to calais on the evening of the 1st march the rest are flying out on 16th .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You don't need to cross the Pyrenees. Follow the road past Carcisson , Perpignan and enter Spain that way.

Painless:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Lugnutt!
First of all 1st march is in one month ... so loads of time ! One week before departure , i 'll tell you whether you need chains on normal roads or not ! If you were to leave tomorrow i would say YES which ever route you take , do make sure you have chains as we have snow and ice everywhere or so !
But in one month ...plenty of time for temperature to raise again
If no snow you just keep on along the atlantic coast and cross the Pyrénées there (Bayonne /San Sebastian). No problem at all . If there is snow all along .... best is to wait according to me , because to cross at Perpignan means you have to get through massif Central .... NO GOOD if it is snowing . You can as well use only mortoways . Get to Bordeaux then Toulouse (you can make a stop here if you fancy to) and then Perpignan and you'll be fine if ... b****y France got the roads cleared ....And if snow only in ¨Pyrénées then just motorways without chains at all ... Any question?::bigsmile::winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
if i put marjal co-ordinates in sat nav is that the way it will take me?

I don't think so , it will drive you to Bayonne and San Sebastian . If you want your sat Nav to drive you through Perpignan , ask first to Sat Nav , Calais to Perpignan
and then Perpignan to Marjal!

Frankie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Frankie has you sorted Lugnutt.

Seems sound advice to me. I have only done the trip in Spring/ Summer so hadn't thought of snow.

Enjoy - nothing to worry about:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if i put marjal co-ordinates in sat nav is that the way it will take me?

it will if you put in Perpignon then when you get there, put in Marjel.

that's the way we went.....a few steep and long motorway hills in the massif central but nowhere near as steep the 'hills' in the pyrenees

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We are on the 4am ferry on the 1st march. Not settled on a route yet, but the western side is favoured by truckers (st sebastian), if you like, pm me and i,ll drop you my phone No just in case.

chrismacgowan

Free Member
Mar 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2005
No need to be apprehensive.

Perpignan is my favoured route as Painless suggests. By March 1st there should be a big improvement in the weather. Most of my long distance touring is solo and I eliminate apprehension by being a member of The Caravan Club and having an all year round Red Pennant travel policy. I don't know what age your MH is but do make sure you have a proper spare wheel on board; these foam fillers or space savers are get you home devices - but not from Spain!! Have a wonderful trip!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back