Apprehensive

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by lugnutt, Feb 5, 2012.

1. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

Hi all i am about embark on the longest journey i have made in MH to Marjel .I will be driving solo and i am apprehensive about crossing pyranees,can anyone give me a good safe route?The furthest south ive been is bordeaux but never travelled to Spain i am concerned about where to cross the pyranees and worried about snow,do i need snow chains?any advise would be gratefully appreciated.Booked out p o ferry to calais on the evening of the 1st march the rest are flying out on 16th .

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

You don't need to cross the Pyrenees. Follow the road past Carcisson , Perpignan and enter Spain that way.

Painless:thumb:

3. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

That's the way I go !!!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

if i put marjal co-ordinates in sat nav is that the way it will take me?

5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hi Lugnutt!
    First of all 1st march is in one month ... so loads of time ! One week before departure , i 'll tell you whether you need chains on normal roads or not ! If you were to leave tomorrow i would say YES which ever route you take , do make sure you have chains as we have snow and ice everywhere or so !
    But in one month ...plenty of time for temperature to raise again
    If no snow you just keep on along the atlantic coast and cross the Pyrénées there (Bayonne /San Sebastian). No problem at all . If there is snow all along .... best is to wait according to me , because to cross at Perpignan means you have to get through massif Central .... NO GOOD if it is snowing . You can as well use only mortoways . Get to Bordeaux then Toulouse (you can make a stop here if you fancy to) and then Perpignan and you'll be fine if ... b****y France got the roads cleared ....And if snow only in ¨Pyrénées then just motorways without chains at all ... Any question?:BigGrin::Wink:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I don't think so , it will drive you to Bayonne and San Sebastian . If you want your sat Nav to drive you through Perpignan , ask first to Sat Nav , Calais to Perpignan
    and then Perpignan to Marjal!

Frankie

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Frankie has you sorted Lugnutt.

Seems sound advice to me. I have only done the trip in Spring/ Summer so hadn't thought of snow.

Enjoy - nothing to worry about:thumb:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it will if you put in Perpignon then when you get there, put in Marjel.

that's the way we went.....a few steep and long motorway hills in the massif central but nowhere near as steep the 'hills' in the pyrenees

9. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

10. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

We are on the 4am ferry on the 1st march. Not settled on a route yet, but the western side is favoured by truckers (st sebastian), if you like, pm me and i,ll drop you my phone No just in case.

11. chrismacgowan

chrismacgowan Read Only Funster

No need to be apprehensive.

Perpignan is my favoured route as Painless suggests. By March 1st there should be a big improvement in the weather. Most of my long distance touring is solo and I eliminate apprehension by being a member of The Caravan Club and having an all year round Red Pennant travel policy. I don't know what age your MH is but do make sure you have a proper spare wheel on board; these foam fillers or space savers are get you home devices - but not from Spain!! Have a wonderful trip!!