Applecross & Western Highlands

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Supertractorman, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

I am proposing to tour the Applecross area and further North at the end of August and I wondered if anybody has been up that way this year. If so is it very busy following from the "Monty" programmes on TV this Spring ?. If it is busy would I be better going elsewhere for better site availability and quieter roads this year ?.

2. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Was up round that area around middle of may, there were more vans and people about but did not have any particular problems.
    Scotland in general seemed to have more motorhomes and caravans about but did not stop us doing as we wanted.
    We normally go to Scotland every year, for 6 weeks at a time,I don't think it should spoil your plans. it did'nt spoil ours. We intend going again end of Sept

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  3. JayDee

JayDee Funster

We were up there in the first half of May for a few days. When we arrived at Applecross, after driving the magnificent pass from Tornapress, we were lucky to squeeze in on the end of the main field. It was very muddy and I'm surprised that nobody got bogged down; though there were some parts of the field were in a terrible state. The barlord at the pub said there was standing room only in the bar the previous day.
    A few people left soon after we arrived (was it something I'd eaten?:BigGrin:) and there was loads of space by the middle of the following day. The site owner is hoping to put more hard standings in soon and also to upgrade the EHU from 6 amp (he may have done this by now).

Of course, now it's school hols it could well be heaving.

John

4. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Went up there the first week of May. Apart from the bank-holiday weekend, it was not particularly busy (but it was particularly wet!). Did not go to Applecross - we were up around Scourie, but then came down to Locharron. The busiest area was Speyside over the bank-holiday.

Philip

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Free parking

Just back from a week in Scotland, not the Highlands, but in my home county of Refrewshire which for the most part is untouched by tourism, most are in too big a hurry to get to the North and by pass it .. but .. while there I was keeping an eye open for free parking..

Found a really great spot at Baloch, Loch Lomond ( went for a day trip) large car park designed for cars with boat trailers, right on the water with a sandy beach, a couple of vans were there.. toilets and fresh water.. plenty of room for RVs to park and manoeuvre . The Maid of the Loch Paddle steamer is moored here. Free slipway.
    GPS 56.008229,-4.590969

In Lochwinnoch, my home village, a large car park by Muirsheil Country park whch is in the Refrewshire hills.. a desolate and beautiful location, .. not suitable for large MH. single track road ( 3 miles) with passing places.
    I could see no signs that banned overnighting, two vans parked who had obviously been there all night.. but I would advise to ask a Ranger if it was ok.
    GPS 55.849171,-4.743104

Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park

Largs, Ayshire coast, a fairly large free car park in the town centre which had one overnighter, and was there for a couple of days.. not suitable for large MH . Gets busy during the day but empty at night.
    GPS 55.794591,-4.866547

Largs Online.co.uk - Official Website of Largs & Millport Tourist Bureau, for Largs, Ayrshire, Scotland - Tourism and Community - Things to do, places to stay, and lots more !

hth

Jim

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  6. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

7. Milo

Milo Read Only Funster

The Dumfriess and Galloway coast is v fine, much of the border country to the east is too. Argyll is almost entirely magnificent. The Trossachs (just north of the Glasgow - Edinburgh line) is very attractive. Loch Lomond is splendid, Rannoch Moor is impressively bleak, Glencoe is magnificent, the Great Glen is compulsory and almost everything north thereof (and esp to the west) drops into categories such as awesome and essential. And don't forget the islands.

Less talk, more travel.

Go, go, go.

But pack a bottle or two of Avon's Skin So Soft.

8. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

In full agrement most of it can only be described as :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: WOW!!!!

Dave:thumb::thumb:

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Senior moment hit button twice,

Just the thought of it

Dave:thumb::thumb:

10. keith

keith Funster

At end of August most Scottish school children will be back at school, so may be quieter :thumb:

If going to Applecross also try Sheildaig with it's open camping area ( just leave a donation in their box). Magnificent views over Loch Sheildeg & Torridon.
    Achmelvich, just up from Lochinver has some magnificent White sandy beaches worth seeing.
    In the middle of the Highlands is Altnaharra with a CC site right on the banks of Loch Naver

If midges worry you go HERE to check the midge forecast.

When travelling North remember Cressfield Caravan park at Ecclefechan. This is where we live just 10 miles North of the border. Call in to see us, a warm welcome awaits anyone who knocks on our door (when we are at home & not travelling).

11. JayDee

JayDee Funster

12. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Visited Applecross last weekend and the campsite was busy with all electric points taken, but the area around them was very wet mud in many parts. We ended up parking opposite that area on very firm ground. Spoke to some folks next day and they said that they were on electrics which were only 5 amp and their heating tripped it out very easily. Had a bit of noise on the Saturday night with a group returning from the pub and having a singsong with a guitar till very late, what made it worse was someone else shouting " Will you shut the F... up " on regular intervals :shout:
    Not enough toilets and showers for the numbers there, so they were not as good as we had hoped for.