Appleby Horse Fair 2015

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dappleduck, May 16, 2015.

1. dappleduck

dappleduck

morning/afternoon happy campers......would love to visit Appleby horse fair.....don't seem to be able to get booked in anywhere.......any ideas would be welcome.......don't need elec hookup..etc.....just somewhere safe to get head down for night......... many thanks dappleduck

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

I have been up there at horse fair time and would not risk staying anywhere close as I value my wheels etc too much.;)

• Like Like x 8
  3. davanne

davanne Funster

Same here;) too many undesirables in the area when the horse fair is on

• Like Like x 5
  4. ianhyslop

ianhyslop Funster

Full of undesirables .

• Like Like x 3
  5. laneside

laneside Funster

Safe and Appleby horse fair do not really go together in the same sentence, there is a nice cl site twenty minutes walk away which I am sure does not let the undesirables in I think it is Cross End Farm.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

I would not go near the place! In my area we know every year as the "Travellers" make their way north past us. Many camp (and leave their sh*t behind) and we can measure their progress by crimes. Police of course don't want to harm their Human Rights so I have never seen a prosecution completed. Just too many J Smiths to handle! Before anybody starts,I am sure many are a great addition to the Human Race. I just haven't met them yet.
    Keep well clear is my advice.

• Like Like x 6
  7. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

As above. I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Every farmer on the route to the Fair won't leave his property until they've all gone

• Like Like x 4
  8. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Lancaster university had to plant trees around gaming fields to stop the annual stop-over.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

I wouldn't stay anywhere near. We're in Leyland approx 50 miles or so away and always very cautious when the fair is on as the undesirables stop off on the way. One year the place we keep our horse was broken into at night, they came across 3 fields to get to it with wheelbarrows and broke into 45 tack rooms clearing everything out that was sellable! A massive insurance claim! We all clear out now and keep everything at home when the fair is on, won't risk it.

If you want to visit I'd stay further away and travel in for the day.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

Here's the Town Council site about the fair. If you look at the FAQ link it gives the telephone numbers for 3 paid for coach and minibus parking sites, one of them is in the grounds of the historic Appleby Grammar School.

Live dangerously and get the most out of life.

http://www.applebytown.org.uk/index.php?page=horse

Dick

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  11. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Birmingham or Glasgow would be a reasonable place to stay IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

If you really want to stop there, Appleby Golf course is a brilliant sport, in the middle of a very rustic and wild golf course, water, waste disposal etc. pay the grand sum of £5 at the house at the entrance to the lane.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

the council provide them with toilets standpipes skips for rubbish you should see the mess they make all across the moors ,you want to keep well away they would steal the milk out of your tea.
    Oh and having a horse running like a mad thing straight at you down a narrow lane followed by pikies when your driving your van is not much fun either

• Like Like x 6
  14. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Whilst I agree with the sentiments about not staying in the area in my MH I do enjoy a day visit. The atmosphere is lively and watching the ponies being washed in the river is a unique sight. Have been a couple of times but wouldn't want to stay over.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ruthiebabe

ruthiebabe Funster

Hubby is from Appleby and we've holidayed there all our married lives. We stay every couple of years for the fair and enjoy it all but not in our van. Many ( most) sites close over the fair and I would not be comfortable parking up unless well tucked away. I suggest visiting by day on the train or by car unless you have a motorbike or other transport with you.if so there are c.l.s etc away from the immediate area that may be open. Trouble with many known wild camping spots is that they are fenced off over that period to deter travellers. But do go its a great spectacle and lots of fun

16. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I wonder if I could sue the police for racial discrimination if they arrested me for theft and trashing the countryside. Other "races" seem to get away with it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dappleduck

dappleduck

many thanks for all your replies.......however...think ive been given some duff info..........Appleby golf course states the info on staying there is totally wrong they have never allowed camping or motorhomes.........as for suggestion of coach and minibus park at school.......these vehicles would be leaving at end of day...so would be on jack todd after that........that presuming van would be allowed...which I think not as there is only limited space for coaches so they say...........I would still like to go to Appleby fair....sometimes I have to step out of my comfort zone,,,,,,,,,,,,hmmm thanks again to all advice.........dappleduck

19. icantremember

icantremember Funster

You may have already seen it but this website gives a lot of info ... Horse Fair

I'm not sure but I think we went on the Thursday and there was quite a lot going on including in the river but the drink hadn't been flowing too much so no problems. We had been advised to stay clear Friday - Sunday when many places would be closed and boarded including some of the pubs.