LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Linux was always open sourced if your theory is founded why is it not more prevalent in the current market.:Smile:

Home user - Windows had the foot well through the door before Linux came along, so more software available for the home user who hasn't much knowledge of how computers actually work
Corporate user - Foot well through the door again plus maintainability & support.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Mac's? Pfft overated and overpriced. Typical Apple in my opinion. (have used both) :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Linux was always open sourced if your theory is founded why is it not more prevalent in the current market.:Smile:

As Bill G released the code for his OS, developers went with that as it was free. Corporate users followed as the GUI was easy to use and instal. Who remembers the days when you had 20+ floppy discs to install Windowz. Early versions of had a GUI that was very simular to the Apple GUI except the icons were on the left on the PC. Apple very rarely release code to developers outside their lab, consequently very little Mac software is available from outside sources. However, Open Office is available for all platforms and it's FREE!!! RedHat/Linux/Ubantu never really had a chance as it was/is aimed at the bedroom developer/Geek:RollEyes:.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As Bill G released the code for his OS, developers went with that as it was free. Corporate users followed as the GUI was easy to use and instal. Who remembers the days when you had 20+ floppy discs to install Windowz. Early versions of had a GUI that was very simular to the Apple GUI except the icons were on the left on the PC. Apple very rarely release code to developers outside their lab, consequently very little Mac software is available from outside sources. However, Open Office is available for all platforms and it's FREE!!! RedHat/Linux/Ubantu never really had a chance as it was/is aimed at the bedroom developer/Geek:RollEyes:.
I once gave up through fatigue attempting to convince an Apple enthusiast that apples are green.:winky:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
There is no perfect answer to this.

Depends what job you want to do.........and in reality both can do pretty well
everything.
I am a comic illustratior and cartoonist and it suits me to work in photoshop
with a wacom tablet.

Now that used to be the territory of macs but I use a pc....the programme
works really well for me on a pc.

I have owned and used both in the past
they are both fine........ultimately the computer is just the thing you use to run the software you need.

Given I see computers as things you need to change every 3/4 years
I tend to buy a case and have one made for me by my local expert ( who is quite cheap ) at my preffered spec...........and that tends to be a pc.

I never use the latest Hokey Cokey 2000 components as these things cost a lot...last years graphics top components etc are always a lot cheaper and have been tested

Macs look prettier......though

You pays your money....................

barry

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How is clicking the green button (top left) to maximise a window two handed?
The green button has been there since 2001 when OS X was launched. I don't remember for certain, if OS9 had an expand button, but I'm fairly sure it did.

Pete:Cool:

Link RemovedLink Removed

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Wow... I love reading all this techy talk... I have little idea what it is all about but looks really exciting...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
just add my tuppence worth i have a laptop and a mac

realy only used for surfing a few emails ebay

bit of banking & few photos

i got the m/s lappy out just to check you were behaving

as no 1 g/daughter was sleeping in her cot in my playroom

and didnt want to disturb her

it took 40 mins to get online after it had done this and that

shut down and restarted

in the 9 months i have been using the i mac

i just flick it on screen comes up off you go 2 mins
for me i can use either but prefer i mac but should of bought a laptop

but that was my fault

no frustrations well except i only get .4 meg broadband
even that went down to 250 last week
with a ghost caller joining in
4 times the cables been nicked
twice reported the same fault with differant isps
and phone providers
apparently on a new pair of wires now
so its not always the puter at fault
just seems like it:thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Regularly use PC's, MAC's, Linux, IOS, WebOS and Android. And AIX and Solaris at work but they aren't very portable :roflmto:

Always end up on the feeling far more at home on the Windows 7 machines due to the software I need to use.

The price of MAC's is also a consideration for us as we have several laptops so that we don't need to share them, which costs less than a single Macbook.

Each have their plus points and their drawbacks and people need to try them and make their own minds up.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Link RemovedLink Removed

Ahhh I see where you are coming from Jim.

I consider maxing a window and fullscreening a window as two different things.

Quite why you would want to fullscreen anything other than video escapes me.

Pete:Cool:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wow... I love reading all this techy talk... I have little idea what it is all about but looks really exciting...:ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

An explanation obviously needed.

To open a FB pie can (thus initiating the first stages of the glorious expectation of the rising of the golden pastry and visions if the succulent meat & gravy) one needs a can opener.

Can openers come in two varieties (unlike FB pies which come in several) which are manual and electrically operated. Both do the job just as efficiently but the manual ones are a heck of a lot cheaper as well as demanding less of your solar panel.

Substitute "PC" and "Mac" for "manual" and "electrically operated" and all is revealed :RollEyes::whatthe::ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I watched a robbery at an Apple store...................would I be an iWitness?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back