Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We haven't had a Windoze v Mac debate for a while::bigsmile:

I have been using a top of the range Macbook Pro for around 3 months and thought I would let users know what I think. With a quick comparison.

The hardware
This is pretty much even-stevens, the mac has some nice touches like the magnetic power connection. The mac displays are superb (mine is the matt anti glare) But at the same price point so are regular PCs. The trackpad on a Mac is far superior to any PC input system, the use of gestures and short cuts are very useful and not at all gimmicky as I first thought.

The software/operating system
The Mac, contrary to what many will have you believe is clunky, with only the most recent release allowing you to maximise a window without dragging a corner, and even now its a two handed process :Doh: Win 7 is pretty much on a par, maybe even slightly better. But they can do pretty much the same things when it comes to file management etc, both do it well.

The real world
For working on photos and videos, the Mac and its trackpad win out. In business, the mac is a mere toy compared to the PC, no decent heavyweight accounts or customer relationship programs are available on the Mac. Infact I had to put microsoft email and word-processing programs on mac to make it a viable day to day machine.

So, if i want to do proper work, I have to use the PC. The mac just won't cut it. For playing, browsing and photo editing I would choose the mac. I am lucky enough to have both, but if I could only have one for both business and pleasure, it would have to be the PC every time. :Smile:

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Interesting.

Always used PC's but have always wanted a MAC (curiosity more than anything), anyone I know that made the move to MAC sings it's praises and say they would never go back, nice to hear a different perspective.

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
I think that buying into a Mac is as much a cult thing as apposed to a computer thing.
It also enables the buyer to say that they can afford twice as much as a PC buyer for the privilege:winky:

Each to his own:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Interesting.

Always used PC's but have always wanted a MAC (curiosity more than anything), anyone I know that made the move to MAC sings it's praises and say they would never go back, nice to hear a different perspective.
thats human nature:RollEyes:
everyone who buy's something,has to prove sometimes to themself that its the bestest biggest thing on the planet and all other product are inferior:RollEyes:
jim is just being honest:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think that buying into a Mac is as much a cult thing as apposed to a computer thing.
It also enables the buyer to say that they can afford twice as much as a PC buyer for the privilege:winky:

Each to his own:Smile:

Few, apart for our worshipful leader would ever go back to a PC after owning a Mac ..

I didn't buy to boast or brag .. I bought because I wanted a machine that did what it said on the box .. end of story ...

I have owned and used both at work and at play .. until you have, .. you are not qualified to judge ..

Thanks Jim for an honest appraisal .. if you want rid of the mac can I have first refusal ? :winky:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
So what you are saying Jim is that it might not be worth my bothering to camp out on a London street for days in the freezing cold just to hand over loads more money than necessary to get a machine that most of my existing software won't run on just so I can be fashionable? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Pammy suggested I go out amongst all this rioting and get a her a Mac Lap top
Does she think im made of bricks:Doh:
Geo

EJB

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Suffolk (by choice)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1+
Quote from Scotjimland :- "you are not qualified to judge"

A rather rash statement, presumably aimed at me, without knowing any facts:whatthe:

If it wasn't aimed at me I do apologise:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So what you are saying Jim is that it might not be worth my bothering to camp out on a London street for days in the freezing cold just to hand over loads more money than necessary to get a machine that most of my existing software won't run on just so I can be fashionable? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yes, JJ, the time has finally come for you to realise that you must be frugal and no longer follow the "spend, spend, spend" mantra :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

A rather rash statement, presumably aimed at me, without knowing any facts:whatthe:

by your suggestion that they were just status symbols I assumed you hadn't owned one.. in which case you wouldn't be qualified .. if wrong I apologise ..

I agree that for some it will be a culture thing.. and that puts me off too.... same as I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a Burberry or a pair of Nike trainers , not because they are crap but because of the dick heads who wear them .. I used to like hooded track suit tops ... another item now associated with chavs and 40 watt brains..

But I've been using Macs long before they were a culture thing.. and won't abandon just because they have become a status symbol .. or used by posers... I don't like iPhones or iPads for just that reason.. great products .. wrong image

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Few, apart for our worshipful leader would ever go back to a PC after owning a Mac ..

Jim your a one for "Facts" so can you tell me where you get the facts from to support your statement? :Smile:

I as you probably know I have used both, although only an older MAC, and to me their much of a muchness. Given a design choice I would buy a Mac, given a price choice its a PC. As the latest Mac's are near enough PC's in disguise, why spend the money unless its to be "Cool" ::bigsmile:

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim your a one for "Facts" so can you tell me where you get the facts from to support your statement? :Smile:

Ian

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: FACTS .. !!! :roflmto: whatever gave you that idea ... this is a forum.. need to go to the dark side for facts :winky:

anyway... it's common knowledge ...I read it in The Sun :thumb:

by the way ... the Mac you owned.. was that the one you tossed in the skip with valves in it ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Since he quoted your post there is no doubt.

I do wish more people would "quote post" rather than "reply" because then we all know what they are talking about.

PS. I'm firmly in the PC camp. I could not earn a living, due lack of software, on a mac.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
According to the latest "Facts" for every 10 computors sold, very nearly 1 whole one is a Mac. ::bigsmile:

Ian

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have used a Mac in the USA and was confused, how can anyone design a mouse with one button!

I have an iphone, dissapointed, its overated and locked, thats what I hate about it.

I have looked at an ipad, but cant see a reason for having one.. again did they forget to add an USB (or am I making that up)

All in all, I think I will reply on my PC's, they are like an old friend, and now I have Windows 7....

Shiftzz (not an apple expert, well not an expert on anything really)

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
this mac v pc debate is a bit like buying solar panal's over a genny.
solar panel's dont quite do what you want them to do,but are expensive enough to make you feel comfortable that you made the right choice.:RollEyes:
a genny just get's on with it:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
this mac v pc debate is a bit like buying solar panal's over a genny.
solar panel's dont quite do what you want them to do,but are expensive enough to make you feel comfortable that you made the right choice.:RollEyes:
a genny just get's on with it:thumb:

While I find you a bright, intelligent and friendly chap and agree with a vast amount of what you say here on Fun (is that enough crawling?:winky:) I am not sure that the comparison to a solar v genny is accurate when it comes to the Mac v PC debate.

I believe there are many more elements to the solar v genny debate than the computer one.

True, both systems charge your batteries but long term use of solar, dare I say it, in the real world of the full time, off site motorhomer wins out more often than genny use.

Obviously if I only spent a few nights a year away from a hook up or if I was about to launch a fabulous, new thinking business in the generator area I might see things differently...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
An analogy comparison, of Honda and Kipor Gennies would probably be more appropriate.

Both do the same job but the Honda does it with a lot less fuss.

Interestingly Apple has just become the largest company by value in the world, after Exxon lost share value last week.

Microsoft and Dell were left in the wake of Apple Corp. some years ago.

Pete:Cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
According to the latest "Facts" for every 10 computors sold, very nearly 1 whole one is a Mac. ::bigsmile:

Ian

OK Ian ... .. here is a serious question.. a challenge :

what Windows lappy would you suggest I buy .. with a similar or better spec to a 13" Mac Power book. I don't want to pay over the odds .. I want to save money .. but still want good quality .. the Mac costs £999

13-inch: 2.3 GHz

* 2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 320GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000
* Built-in battery (7 hours)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not just on the computer front are Apple having problems with the competition. The Iphone 5 is floundering even before it is launched. The heat is on and Apple are taking court action on all fronts attempting to halt the competition but alas Apple is yesterday.
Apple through the courts are delaying the US launch of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone that will operate on their 4g network, this is not guaranteed on the i5. I have recently become the proud owner of one so I can see what apple is worried about.
My son who lives in the home of Apple and works in the software business has not been persuaded by the Apple marketing team yet doesn’t feel he has lost out. He runs an Xoom for his tablet, a Sony 6gb ram laptop and a pc running Win 7 that he will probably compete with any Apple unit. He has just sent me his latest spec of the beast as he calls it. For anyone that is interested in Windoze operating systems. What do you think.:winky:

CSX CX-1000BRDL-01-GP Broodling Cosmos Full Tower Case (only 300 in existence)
EVGA X58 Classified 3XSLI Motherboard
twin 240gb OCZ SSD in raid 0 configuration (did have twin 300gb Velociraptors in RAID 0)
Core i7 980X extreme edition 3.33GHZ
2X EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked 1536 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics cards
Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition DDR3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) PC3-16000 2000MHz at 9-9-9-27 Enhanced Latency Kit PV736G2000ELK Memory
Cyborg R.A.T 9 mouse (will have this on Monday):thumb:

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The software/operating system
The Mac, contrary to what many will have you believe is clunky, with only the most recent release allowing you to maximise a window without dragging a corner, and even now its a two handed process :Doh:

How is clicking the green button (top left) to maximise a window two handed?
The green button has been there since 2001 when OS X was launched. I don't remember for certain, if OS9 had an expand button, but I'm fairly sure it did.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

what Windows lappy would you suggest I buy .. with a similar or better spec to a 13" Mac Power book. I don't want to pay over the odds .. I want to save money .. but still want good quality .. the Mac costs £999

* 2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 320GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000

How about the Lenovo G570?

OK, the battery is only 6 hours max, rather than 7, but the screen is bigger to compensate. At £449 it's half the price of the Mac :Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Not just on the computer front are Apple having problems with the competition. The Iphone 5 is floundering even before it is launched. The heat is on and Apple are taking court action on all fronts attempting to halt the competition but alas Apple is yesterday.
Apple through the courts are delaying the US launch of the Samsung Galaxy S2 phone that will operate on their 4g network, this is not guaranteed on the i5. I have recently become the proud owner of one so I can see what apple is worried about.
My son who lives in the home of Apple and works in the software business has not been persuaded by the Apple marketing team yet doesn’t feel he has lost out. He runs an Xoom for his tablet, a Sony 6gb ram laptop and a pc running Win 7 that he will probably compete with any Apple unit. He has just sent me his latest spec of the beast as he calls it. For anyone that is interested in Windoze operating systems. What do you think.:winky:

CSX CX-1000BRDL-01-GP Broodling Cosmos Full Tower Case (only 300 in existence)
EVGA X58 Classified 3XSLI Motherboard
twin 240gb OCZ SSD in raid 0 configuration (did have twin 300gb Velociraptors in RAID 0)
Core i7 980X extreme edition 3.33GHZ
2X EVGA GeForce GTX480 Superclocked 1536 MB DDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics cards
Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition DDR3 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) PC3-16000 2000MHz at 9-9-9-27 Enhanced Latency Kit PV736G2000ELK Memory
Cyborg R.A.T 9 mouse (will have this on Monday):thumb:

Just thought I would share this with you.

"5 Reasons the iPhone 5 Won’t Have 4G LTE
Posted by Adam Mills

If you aren’t already using a 4G LTE smartphone, you will be at some point in the future. Verizon’s LTE network is expanding, AT&T will be introducing one soon and Sprint seems to be headed in that direction.These are exciting times and companies like HTC, Motorola, LG and Samsung have already released phones that run on the next-generation network.

However, there is one big name missing. Cupertino-based iPhone maker, Apple. Many people are hoping that the iPhone 5, rumored to be out this year, will be coming with 4G LTE on board but I am firmly entrenched in the idea that Apple will wait, even with the competition heating up. Here’s why.

HTC ThunderBoltBattery Life Woes

It’s no secret that 4G LTE is fast but we also know that the current line of phones are suffering from major battery life woes. Connecting to Verizon’s network seems to just suck the life out of the HTC ThunderBolt, the Samsung Droid Charge and the LG Revolution. These are phones that are for early adopters though. They are last-gen devices. The next iPhone on the other hand is going to be bought up by average Joe’s.

Do you see the problem? Apple would be ridiculously dumb to put out a product that is marred with problems. And Apple isn’t dumb. They won’t put out an 4G LTE iPhone until the technology is ready and clearly, it isn’t. Just look at the delays that the Motorola Droid Bionic has faced. That being said, I think that at least one company, maybe HTC with the HTC Vigor, will have solved the 4G LTE issue by the end of this year and we’ll start seeing improved battery life on the next crop of 4G LTE smartphones.

And you can bet that the iPhone 6 will be among them.

Lack of Coverage

Verizon is rapidly expanding its 4G LTE network but it still doesn’t cover the entire United States and that’s not going to fly with Apple. You can’t sell millions of iPhone with a market that’s not prepared for it. And trust me, Apple wants to sell millions of these.

However, by the summer of next year, both Verizon and AT&T will have a bigger LTE footprint and I think Apple will be confident enough in the market that it will indeed release a 4G capable iPhone."

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
OK, now for yet another opinion:ROFLMAO:

Back in the dark days of 1993, I landed a Authorised Apple Mac trainer job- this qualification is still valid!, so I guess I am duly qualified to comment::bigsmile: Oh, I also have MCSE NT4 and MCP/System Administrator. When comparing the speed and efficiency of both, the Mac won hands down when Rastering a 200mb file in Photoshop. This was mainly down to the RISC processor used in Power Macs. We sold dozens to EMAP for their magazine editing and publishing. True the PC does have more software available for it BUT if you want the best of both worlds in 1 package, get a Mac and a copy of Parallels Desktop - there is no Mac equvillent for PC. This software installs on a Mac and allows you to instal Windowz and whatever PC software you need, while still having the speed and quality associated with the Mac and run both Desktops at the same time. Alternativly you can use Boot Camp which comes with the Mac OS but you have to choose Mac or Windowz at start up. MS Office is available for the Mac as are lots of other FREE WP titles and all of Adobe titles are available too. Filemaker is Apples version of Office so works much quicker. Also, Apple have just released a new OS called Lion which cost £20 to download via Itunes. Win 7 cost me well over £100 for a copy and took an age to install, and then the drivers for my printer didn't work. no such problem with the Mac. I also have an iPhone 4 and an iPad so I guess I am a little biased :ROFLMAO:

Just to add, if Steve Jobs had released the code for the original Mac OS to developers, we would all be using Macs now not the bloated Windowz OS.

Ramble over:thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years

* 2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
* 4GB 1333MHz
* 320GB 5400-rpm1
* Intel HD Graphics 3000

Hi Jim ASUS Lamborghini VX6 12.1" Laptop
Intel® Atom® D525 processor 1.8Ghz
12.1" screen
2 gig DDR3 SDRAM
500gig SATA 5400rpm
NVIDIA ION 2 discrete GPU
Battery 6 hours
2xUSB 3
HDMI connector
Memory card reader
Weight 1.5kg
Price? PCWorld £499.97 bit cheaper off the net

No its not a direct comparison but close enough and at half the price! Go on tell me you need to do stacks of video processing, if so you have the wrong Mac. :ROFLMAO:

Ian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just to add, if Steve Jobs had released the code for the original Mac OS to developers, we would all be using Macs now not the bloated Windowz OS.

Apple made only themselves richer, Microsoft made the world richer by making computers cheap enough for the masses to buy.

Ian

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
OK, now for yet another opinion:ROFLMAO:

Back in the dark days of 1993, I landed a Authorised Apple Mac trainer job- this qualification is still valid!, so I guess I am duly qualified to comment::bigsmile: Oh, I also have MCSE NT4 and MCP/System Administrator. When comparing the speed and efficiency of both, the Mac won hands down when Rastering a 200mb file in Photoshop. This was mainly down to the RISC processor used in Power Macs. We sold dozens to EMAP for their magazine editing and publishing. True the PC does have more software available for it BUT if you want the best of both worlds in 1 package, get a Mac and a copy of Parallels Desktop - there is no Mac equvillent for PC. This software installs on a Mac and allows you to instal Windowz and whatever PC software you need, while still having the speed and quality associated with the Mac and run both Desktops at the same time. Alternativly you can use Boot Camp which comes with the Mac OS but you have to choose Mac or Windowz at start up. MS Office is available for the Mac as are lots of other FREE WP titles and all of Adobe titles are available too. Filemaker is Apples version of Office so works much quicker. Also, Apple have just released a new OS called Lion which cost £20 to download via Itunes. Win 7 cost me well over £100 for a copy and took an age to install, and then the drivers for my printer didn't work. no such problem with the Mac. I also have an iPhone 4 and an iPad so I guess I am a little biased :ROFLMAO:

Linux was always open sourced if your theory is founded why is it not more prevalent in the current market.:Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
If I went into an Apple store and nicked something could I be done for scrumping?:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back