Apple V PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jim, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We haven't had a Windoze v Mac debate for a while:BigGrin:

I have been using a top of the range Macbook Pro for around 3 months and thought I would let users know what I think. With a quick comparison.

The hardware
    This is pretty much even-stevens, the mac has some nice touches like the magnetic power connection. The mac displays are superb (mine is the matt anti glare) But at the same price point so are regular PCs. The trackpad on a Mac is far superior to any PC input system, the use of gestures and short cuts are very useful and not at all gimmicky as I first thought.

The software/operating system
    The Mac, contrary to what many will have you believe is clunky, with only the most recent release allowing you to maximise a window without dragging a corner, and even now its a two handed process :Doh: Win 7 is pretty much on a par, maybe even slightly better. But they can do pretty much the same things when it comes to file management etc, both do it well.

The real world
    For working on photos and videos, the Mac and its trackpad win out. In business, the mac is a mere toy compared to the PC, no decent heavyweight accounts or customer relationship programs are available on the Mac. Infact I had to put microsoft email and word-processing programs on mac to make it a viable day to day machine.

So, if i want to do proper work, I have to use the PC. The mac just won't cut it. For playing, browsing and photo editing I would choose the mac. I am lucky enough to have both, but if I could only have one for both business and pleasure, it would have to be the PC every time. :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Douzeper

Douzeper Funster

Interesting.

Always used PC's but have always wanted a MAC (curiosity more than anything), anyone I know that made the move to MAC sings it's praises and say they would never go back, nice to hear a different perspective.

3. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

I think that buying into a Mac is as much a cult thing as apposed to a computer thing.
    It also enables the buyer to say that they can afford twice as much as a PC buyer for the privilege:Wink:

Each to his own:Smile:

4. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

thats human nature:RollEyes:
    everyone who buy's something,has to prove sometimes to themself that its the bestest biggest thing on the planet and all other product are inferior:RollEyes:
    jim is just being honest:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Few, apart for our worshipful leader would ever go back to a PC after owning a Mac ..

I didn't buy to boast or brag .. I bought because I wanted a machine that did what it said on the box .. end of story ...

I have owned and used both at work and at play .. until you have, .. you are not qualified to judge ..

Thanks Jim for an honest appraisal .. if you want rid of the mac can I have first refusal ? :Wink:

6. JJ

JJ Funster

So what you are saying Jim is that it might not be worth my bothering to camp out on a London street for days in the freezing cold just to hand over loads more money than necessary to get a machine that most of my existing software won't run on just so I can be fashionable? :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Pammy suggested I go out amongst all this rioting and get a her a Mac Lap top
    Does she think im made of bricks:Doh:
    Geo

8. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

Quote from Scotjimland :- "you are not qualified to judge"

A rather rash statement, presumably aimed at me, without knowing any facts:Eek!:

If it wasn't aimed at me I do apologise:Smile:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, JJ, the time has finally come for you to realise that you must be frugal and no longer follow the "spend, spend, spend" mantra :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

by your suggestion that they were just status symbols I assumed you hadn't owned one.. in which case you wouldn't be qualified .. if wrong I apologise ..

I agree that for some it will be a culture thing.. and that puts me off too.... same as I wouldn't be seen dead wearing a Burberry or a pair of Nike trainers , not because they are crap but because of the dick heads who wear them .. I used to like hooded track suit tops ... another item now associated with chavs and 40 watt brains..

But I've been using Macs long before they were a culture thing.. and won't abandon just because they have become a status symbol .. or used by posers... I don't like iPhones or iPads for just that reason.. great products .. wrong image

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  11. olley

olley Funster

Jim your a one for "Facts" so can you tell me where you get the facts from to support your statement? :Smile:

I as you probably know I have used both, although only an older MAC, and to me their much of a muchness. Given a design choice I would buy a Mac, given a price choice its a PC. As the latest Mac's are near enough PC's in disguise, why spend the money unless its to be "Cool" :BigGrin:

Ian

12. scotjimland

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: FACTS .. !!! :Laughing: whatever gave you that idea ... this is a forum.. need to go to the dark side for facts :Wink:

anyway... it's common knowledge ...I read it in The Sun :thumb:

by the way ... the Mac you owned.. was that the one you tossed in the skip with valves in it ? :Rofl1::Rofl1:

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Since he quoted your post there is no doubt.

I do wish more people would "quote post" rather than "reply" because then we all know what they are talking about.

PS. I'm firmly in the PC camp. I could not earn a living, due lack of software, on a mac.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  14. EJB

EJB Read Only Funster

I didn't need a whole post to highlight a few words.:Smile:

15. olley

olley Funster

According to the latest "Facts" for every 10 computors sold, very nearly 1 whole one is a Mac. :BigGrin:

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  16. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have used a Mac in the USA and was confused, how can anyone design a mouse with one button!

I have an iphone, dissapointed, its overated and locked, thats what I hate about it.

I have looked at an ipad, but cant see a reason for having one.. again did they forget to add an USB (or am I making that up)

All in all, I think I will reply on my PC's, they are like an old friend, and now I have Windows 7....

Shiftzz (not an apple expert, well not an expert on anything really)

• Like Like x 1
  17. JJ

JJ Funster

Bloody Hell Graham... trust you to bring home truths to my attention...:cry:

Spoil Sport!

So upset I am going for a swim...:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

this mac v pc debate is a bit like buying solar panal's over a genny.
    solar panel's dont quite do what you want them to do,but are expensive enough to make you feel comfortable that you made the right choice.:RollEyes:
    a genny just get's on with it:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  19. JJ

JJ Funster

While I find you a bright, intelligent and friendly chap and agree with a vast amount of what you say here on Fun (is that enough crawling?:Wink:) I am not sure that the comparison to a solar v genny is accurate when it comes to the Mac v PC debate.

I believe there are many more elements to the solar v genny debate than the computer one.

True, both systems charge your batteries but long term use of solar, dare I say it, in the real world of the full time, off site motorhomer wins out more often than genny use.

Obviously if I only spent a few nights a year away from a hook up or if I was about to launch a fabulous, new thinking business in the generator area I might see things differently...:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

20. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

An analogy comparison, of Honda and Kipor Gennies would probably be more appropriate.

Both do the same job but the Honda does it with a lot less fuss.

Interestingly Apple has just become the largest company by value in the world, after Exxon lost share value last week.

Microsoft and Dell were left in the wake of Apple Corp. some years ago.

Pete:Cool: