Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have over the last 6 months or so looked at the various e readers on the market. I could not make my mind up. I looked at the Sony items and had a go at a shop selling them at Bluewater shopping centre in Kent. I then had a go later on at the Apple I pad when it was shown in the Apple shop again at Bluewater (impressed). I decided to wait until the Kindle showed up... Now I research and research some more. Feedback from others is important to me. The number of failures on the Kindle did not look good. So back to the Apple I pad.

Yesterday I put the hand in my pocket (well our pockets.. what is her's is mine and what is mine is mine:Blush:).. I decided to go for the 64 gb version without the G3, as I do have a Dell note pad on the RV which I use a Vodaphone Dongle with if I need connection on the move if Wifi is not available. At home I use a fairly powerful Dell laptop (as heavy as a desktop and load with as much kit).. so the idea of speanding £599 on a pad was made with some careful thought. Forgetting the carry case on order from John Lewis for collection tomorrow it is not a cheap investment.

So why did i not go for the cheaper E-Readers? well as I write this the I-pad is sitting beside me and I am listerning to Kris Kristofferson on the I-Pad - very good it is as well. I down loaded the 37 tracks for £9.99 form I tunes. Plus a Willi Nelson cd for £4.99. All the down loads are via wifi.. which works well.

As for E books.. not cheap, but so far I have down loaded only free books, I expect that will change. The main thing is that the I-pad has a back light and makes reading very easy. The page turn is as good as the 600 series of the Sony I am pleased to say.

Still learning all the things it can do... it has a great set of maps and I have now down loaded from the laptop by sync the photos I have stored... it is a first class photo block with all the fade and extra bits I have on my main photo frame in the house.

So I impressed.. so little paper work in the box.. case of automatic connection to wifi and you can get the pdf files.

Time will tell if this is the baby or not, I accept it is far more than an e-reader but considring what else you get over the top of the Sony it seems a good deal to me.

Now to find some books and work out how to down load them from other places.

Bob:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What struck me about them the other week as I passed Curry's was finger marks. The shop demo machine was positively insanitary.

And I'm anti Apple because of the way they try and lock you into sales system ( as does Kindle I think ) unless things have relaxed since iTunes on their players.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think the ipad is great, I keep leaving magazines open on their adverts in the hope that I might find one in my Christmas stocking. But as for reading for any length of time, the non reflective screen of the Kindle beats the Ipad by a mile, and a month between charges and the compact size make it much better as a reader. As a compromise reader its OK, but IMO it is a big compromise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree with both your posts

Brain and Jim I agree with both your posts.

As you say Brian, it is a case of having to use I tunes, but I can down load from my CD collection (which I have done to my pioneer sat nav system on the RV where I have 1,400 stongs stored) .. I like hard copies i.e cd's but down loading is not bad and fast. With 64 gb I have a lot of room for songs, videos, books and photos. But the issue of the marks on the screen are very real and it does need wiping a lot.

Jim, again agree with you it is large as a reader, but it is all the other things it does that sold it to me. Did not like the high price, but I like the product.. I found it OK to use as a reader last night and had no problems with it.. not as bad as I thought and not as heavy as a large book.

They say 10 hours on a charge...

Bob:Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have been in the Apple shop at Bluewater as well Bob.

I was mesmerised by all these Ipads.

It was as much as I could do to drag myself away without buying one.

I plan to go back though

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
iTunes and the price are the two things which have put me off iPads. Apple hardware has always seemed over-priced compared with other manufacturers even though it is good.

The one bit of Apple kit I have (apart from an old second hand Mac in a cupboard somewhere) is an iPod, which is very good but oh, so frustrating when one of the regular iTunes updates is flagged up. Why on Earth do they keep producing a brand new version for download instead of simply an upgrade?

Graham

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
third go at tryping this reply

mrs t has an i pad had it for her burfday
she seems to get on better with that than
with her lappy constantly updating windows
as she is unsure what to d/load which not to

shes got into apps and other bits
i cant offer any views
on it as i dont get a chance to use it
shes always just going to use it

when she used the lappy
i was always asked why is it doing that
only need lapy to load cd/dvd thingys now

and as regards casses or covers try ebay
slip case £7 delivered
one thing you should aquire is a screen protector
wont stop dirty smudges
but will save the screen from scratches
they come as shiny or matt:thumb:

Last edited:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
There will be plenty of iPad alternatives out between now and Easter in the realm of the Android OS.

Some reasonable ones now being released in various sizes and price points. Personally I am going to wait a little to get a better view of the options.

Some big advantages in these in both the non locked in ecosystem and connectivity such as HDMI, USB etc.

Not that the iPad is not a good device, and the 4.2 release last night made it better than it was.

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
Buy the 'UK Maps' app for iPad for around a fiver then you can download Ordnance Survey 'overlays' of the whole British Isles for free. It is then possible to zoom in on any area down to street name level, if you have 3G then it can pinpoint where you are even when not on line. It's great, I really believe this or I would not have posted it.:winky:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Buy the 'UK Maps' app for iPad for around a fiver then you can download Ordnance Survey 'overlays' of the whole British Isles for free. It is then possible to zoom in on any area down to street name level, if you have 3G then it can pinpoint where you are even when not on line. It's great, I really believe this or I would not have posted it.:winky:

I downloaded the app "Offmaps" which is similar to the "UK Maps" but you download areas of interest. For example I downloaded not only towns in France and the UK I wanted but also areas of Queensland where I visit my son. Great product range.
John

ps Sorry I use an iPhone which uses the same apps.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well certainly hooked

I have been on it all the time since purchasing it. I have now even down loaded 'the Bucket List' film..£6.99 fantastic picture, but did take an hour to download. I have also down loaded from Itunes a few country cd's they came down fast and again no problems.

I purchased a book from the Amazon Kindle site and that works just fine on the ipad. Books can be expensive, but found some free and others cheaper and have down loaded also from the Apple site.

Down loaded lots of free apps. Also paid for a few at 59p (my limit say Sue).. but there is so much out there. I like the item, it does what it say it does on the tin.

The internet connection is good and I can pick up emails in the house from the office wifi...

Indulged myself with a leather case from John Lewis store.. it is a carry case, and stand as well as typing block all in one.....Have ordered off ebay screen cover and also a spare power plug and lead.. will get the photo transfer next to speed up the transfer of photos rather than sync it all the time. Still learning.. but yes impressed.

Bob:thumb:

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
You'll be well pleased with the Photo Link, it's really fast at uploading pictures to the iPad and to the web, I find myself using the iPad more than my laptop.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
OS4.2 has is now released for the ipad and iphone and brings some nice little enhancements to the ipad.

The Mrs has been wanting one for ages, but I am now waiting to see what ipad 2 brings.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OS4.2 has is now released for the ipad and iphone and brings some nice little enhancements to the ipad.

The Mrs has been wanting one for ages, but I am now waiting to see what ipad 2 brings.

A genuine question:

What can an iPad do that a netbook/laptop can't do better at half the price ?

I think the iPad is like the nubile, young, good looking, fun, Russian girl who has fallen madly in love with me ( OK why be modest, more than one ) and wants to come over and marry me. She would be deep joy for about a month then when the gloss has worn off I'd realise that Flossie from t' mill, all sixteen stone of her should have been my choice.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
A genuine question:

What can an iPad do that a netbook/laptop can't do better at half the price ?

I think the iPad is like the nubile, young, good looking, fun, Russian girl who has fallen madly in love with me ( OK why be modest, more than one ) and wants to come over and marry me. She would be deep joy for about a month then when the gloss has worn off I'd realise that Flossie from t' mill, all sixteen stone of her should have been my choice.

Love the analogy. :roflmto:

Quite simple really I don't have to wait for Flossie to make herself up, put on her corset, check her make up every five mins and make sure she is not comprised by the promise of a chocolate offering that just makes her feel unwell.

The Russian is faithful, good looking and ready to go any time and is unlikely to be compromised as she doesn't understand a word any one says.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The iPad works out out the box, no fuss, no having to apply numerous updates, AV virus software etc.

Yes it has limitations and is effect a closed system, but I know because of this it is unlikely to be compromised.

Of course this does not mean I will look at the market to see what is on offer when the time comes. :thumb:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Apple ...

I'm hooked, the iPad rocks:thumb:

anything else is just a compromise

R :Smile:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Not sure why if you were looking for an ereader; you bought an ipad? An ereader is designed to read books, hence the name, an ipad I think is designed as a multimedia device, its much heavier, bigger, the screen isn't as good for reading, and its 3-4 times the price.

I can carry an ereader around in my pocket the same as I can a most books, its light and easy to hold, and the batteries last ages between charges, none of that applies to an ipad. If you want a multimedia device then the ipad would be one of your options, but if you want an ereader IMHO it isn't.

Olley

Briarose

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2007
Hi I know this topic is a few months old.

Heres my thoughts on it. I have had an I Pad since last July and it is truly one of the best things that I have ever bought. I truly love it, and now actually prefer it to a laptop.

In the MH I use it all the time on 3G and again it is just so easy, I have hardly ever found a problem with signal etc etc for me personally I wanted the 3g as I didn't want to also cart about a netbook. Daughter in Law bought the I Pad at the same time and now never ever switches on her laptop.

For music from I Tunes I do download to a laptop and then to I Pad or I Pod as that gives you the option of not having everything on one device..............that way I can also use the I Pod on speakers too, so the old CD unit is redundant. When my phone contract was due a few weeks ago it also allowed me to move any of the previous pre loaded CDs etc to that should I wish to. I wouldn't like to only have the I phone for surfing the net as a bit too small for everyday..........again I Pad all the way.

I have read a couple of book on the I Pad.................before Xmas I did a lot of research on the Kindle. Kinder on the eyes for reading book etc esp at bedtime. Kindle can be seen in sunlight too.

So I put the Kindle on my wish list for Xmas and was lucky enough to get one.

Now I use the Kindle for reading all the time, however I do download the books to both the Kindle and the I Pad.........no extra cost. Any pictures/photos etc I look at on the I Pad. I find the Kindle easy to use, esp light to hold in bed etc. and it does the same as a normal book ie makes you sleepy without a backlight.

Love my I Pad. Love the Kindle and if I had to give you anything it would def be the laptop first.

Just my take on it, and I hope may help someone.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back