Apache 632 heating system

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kubota, Dec 20, 2014.

1. kubota

kubota Read Only Funster

Hello Motorhomers.

Can anyone help? I have recently purchased a 2011 Autotrail Apache 632. The heating system especially on electric does not seem to warm the habitation area very well, most of the heat source seems to go into the garage.
    I was informed that the heating could be diverted from the garage area, but I cannot find any switch and the pipes run along the garage floor which gives of the heat to the garage area. I suspect the heat cannot be diverted. Any suggestions?
    Merry Christmas to all on Motorhome Fun
    regards
    Kubota

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The electric option on most heaters is usually very low power and not very effective. Most usually have no more than 2000 watts output on EHU.

Are you taking sufficient steps to reduce heat LOSS? The cab will lose most of your heat. Are you using any silver screens to reduce this heat loss?

3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Autotrails usually have an electric heater with 3 settings. 500w, 1000w and 2000w so first thing is to make sure it's on the right setting. Not familiar with the 632 but heating will be blown air type so you will need the fan on to circulate the air..
    Inside the van you will find the air outlets, if there are any in the garage area you can close them to blow warm air further around the van. Electric is fine to keep things warm but you may need to put the gas fire on first to give it a bit of initial heat.

One thing to check, the blown air goes around all the pipework, if one has split or come away from the rear of one of the outlets that will loose a lot.. So maybe go round and just check all the pipework and fittings..

4. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

[QUOTE="tonka, post: 1231788, member: 3141
    Inside the van you will find the air outlets, if there are any in the garage area you can close them to blow warm air further around the van. [/QUOTE]

I had the same problem on a truma 6 heating system on checking a couple of the pipe outlets nr where they came out of the main heating unit at a T piece they had come out and therefore heating under the seat where it was situated
    One thing to be aware of is truma indicate that on a truma 6 heating system (has 6 vents) not to close any of the outlets, however on a truma 4 (4 vents) it is ok to close some

5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As said, it is not any switch as such, the air vents have flaps on them. Make sure the one in to the garage area is closed

6. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Also, look on the thermostat and make sure its turned "up".

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Good point, forgot about the thermostat... :xThumb:

8. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have a 2009 Apache 632 and suffer the same problem. Mains only heating is abysmal, we find a combination of mains + gas is best. As the Truma unit is situated in the garage area it is not surprising that the heat from the Truma heats that area. We have no heater outlets in the garage, the pipes running from the Truma unit into the habitation area run along the chassis outside of the van.
    Brisey.

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Good grief !
    How daft is that ? !!!
    Perhaps a lot of extra lagging and maybe even a false floor would be the only way to go

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Doesn't it make you want to drive up to Grimsby and bang some heads together in the design department?!!!:xrofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. kubota

kubota Read Only Funster

Thanks for all your interesting comments much appreciated, yes! the design department needs an overhaul
    looks like I will need my Longjohns.

12. seanoo

seanoo Funster

my 2007 scout has this heating diverter on the back of the fire. just took a photo so you can see the lever that you can adjust where the heat goes.

Attached Files:

13. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

You would be wasting your time.