AOL email account (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirl's AOL email account has been hacked and malicious emails are being sent, using one of her screen names, by persons unknown.

i received one from this account and when i opened it, thinking it was from shirl, it was from a Canadian pharmaceutical company

got a snotty email from AOL saying if the emails continues the whole account will be closed and we will be barred from future use of AOL.

we are both running AVG and Avast realtime scanners but this 'virus' still got through.

we emailed the correct AOL department and explained the situation but as yet have had no reply.

anyone any suggestions as to how to sort this....short of kicking AOL into touch, my first choice but she pays the bill.

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
had my hotmail a/c contact list hacked .they were sending out spam mail in my name .
had to close it ,evey time i tried they would not let me , changed the password then closed it straightaway.don't use hotmail now .

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Hi John

The same thing happened to me with Hotmail. I changed my password and all was OK after that.

Lesley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I were you I'd dump AOL first, my experience of them has been terrible:Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Jim,

Been on AOL for years, no problems, only for internet connection, dont use their emails or websites.

Strangely enough the phone line it uses went u/s, no dialling tone but the internet still worked, dropped the line a few times and by just taking the plug out and reconnecting it reconected. BT now fixed the fault so phones back as well now.

MSN and Hotmail.

Peter

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I had AOL for years and had no problems whatsoever with it. After looking at my bank statements over another issue I found that I was paying a fortune for it.

We moved to Talk Talk for the phone and Internet. AOL is now owned by Talk Talk.

We recieved a new wirless router. After having said that we had no problem with AOL it came as a surprise that the Talk Talk service was far superior with better connection times and much faster browsing.

Initial set up problems were soughted by Talk Talk without any fuss.

The phone line is fine and the wholl thing costs me a fraction of what I was paying AOL & BT combined. Maybe this woudnt stop a hacker but its far more efficient and a lot lighter on the pocket.

If you dont like AOL as your browser or default email provider just change you computer settings to use another browser and use MS Outlook for you emails.

Jim
:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been with AOL since 1991 ..
I far prefer the mailer as, unlike MS, not every virus is aimed specifically at it ( though I do appreciate there are some about now as John and Shirl have found out :Angry: )

I do not use the browser much though as I find it slow and cumbersome .. Tried firefox but ended up using Chrome.. been using that more or less since it hit the streets so to speak

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back