anything but 3 mobile (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
ok looking for mobile broad band wi-fi don't want three as there coverage is crap
can any on recommend
mobile wi-fi

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Vodafone and O2 are experiencing the same issues with their infrastructure that 3 have been having for about the last 4 years.
EE are facing being bought out by BT.

The answer therefore is don't have any mobile services from any UK provider :xblink::confused:

They're are all shite or about to become shite so don't worry too much just go for the cheapest.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We each have a phone, mine is O2 and H's is 3. We find one usually has a signal if the other doesn't. 3 is the better bet in some European countries because of their "feel at home" service. It's always a compromise.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer and earning his living on the internet it is crucial for me to have net access at all times.

I used to carry sims from all the major providers but over the years I have found that 2 covers every workable situation.
Orange (now EE) and Three.

For me Three works "most" place but where it doesn't EE does. When three works it is fantastic and very fast. But when it doesn't I can still get stuff done on EE.

I have never once been in a place where EE and Three don't work and one of the other operators would have. For me technically Voda and O2 are bottom of the pile.

I refuse point blank to use an MVNO because when they go down they have absolutely no control over the situation. So Giffgaff etc are out of the question for me.

I also pay for a couple of WiFi access networks. I don't rely on them but when they are available they can be great. If you use BTinternet at home then their free Wifi Access can be stunning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Strange how we all have different experiences isn't it? I've found that Three works virtually everywhere we go and the 4G roll-out is well under way. Conversely, EE have been the worst when I've tried using an Orange SIM.

One tip as regards devices. All devices sold by Three now (phones and MiFi) are unlocked and purchase prices often beat places like Carphone Warehouse so you can obtain the device from Three and still use any SIM.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I travel widely with work and have a Vodafone and a T-Mobile. I use whichever has the best signal for mobile data and never have issues getting connection. My T-Mobile contract is unlimited data and my Vodafone is pay as you eat because I hardly ever use it for data. The T-Mobile connection is close to brilliant, I have never had a call drop and very rarely lose signal completely with just the occasional drop to dial up speeds in the wilds of Scotland and Wales.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm on Vodafone contract.. Which is a shame because the 3 4g router in the van is more reliable

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Been with Three for a number of years the coverage has continually improved year on year. Apart from the east coast I am getting 4G in almost all areas.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I was going to post a question about mobile wi-fi when I saw this thread. I am currently finding that my 3 network is becoming less reliable and I often get the message no connection. I bought the Vodaphone unit from Tescos which was highlighted here but alas it isn't any better. My question is: is there anything I can do at home to improve my signal, I don't have a land line and being extremely 'technically challenged' need something that is really easy and mobile

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have an O2 contract and can't wait for it to finish as it is pretty poor. I was impressed with my little trial of 3 when using up minutes from my 30 day sim and it was great in a France. I have just bought a 4g mifi from PC world for £19 + £10 credit on a rolling contract which I have already given notice for so that I can use a 3 month sim from ebay for £19 when I need mobile wifi again. I also have a Fon device so that I can use broadband with other Fon users.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sdc77: thanks for that but when I say technically challenged I mean it!! All I know how to do is switch on and off my little Huawei box. Can you explain in kids terms how an external aerial is used. At present I am only using an I Pad and don't anticipate any other hardware (laptop given up).
Thanks, Carol

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm on Vodafone and having issues. Was with 3 for years and had the same issues plus had their horrible malicious "customer services" to contend with.
EE are supposed to, according what I've read, have the best overall coverage but if BT end up buying them they will soon naws that up.
I had a good piece of advice from a trader on here when looking for a data SIM for Europe: Buy the 3 one and if you ever have any issues with it or even when the credit runs out throw it away and get a new one so you never have to talk to the evil mutants in their call centre. I suppose that could equally apply to a phone SIM for this country.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was going to post a question about mobile wi-fi when I saw this thread. I am currently finding that my 3 network is becoming less reliable and I often get the message no connection. I bought the Vodaphone unit from Tescos which was highlighted here but alas it isn't any better. My question is: is there anything I can do at home to improve my signal, I don't have a land line and being extremely 'technically challenged' need something that is really easy and mobile
Your mobile phone should have a facility to "scan for networks" somewhere in the settings. If you let it scan it should list the networks available from your location. With luck it will list a few 3G ones, any 2G you can discount. This may not tell you which is going to be the best but it will help eliminate the no hopers.

For Internet access a mifi with external aerial, as already recommended, would be best.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
ok looking for mobile broad band wi-fi don't want three as there coverage is crap
can any on recommend
mobile wi-fi

I have a three dongle for my laptop
Have always got decent signal in UK EU countries where they have the "feel at home" so was wondering why you say the coverage is crap. Have you had issues?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I wouldn't say that Three's coverage is 'Crap' - I don't think I've been anywhere in the UK where we haven't got either Three or EE's coverage.

The best option is to get an unlocked MiFi device and a PAYG SIM card from each provider - then you can draw your own conclusions about which one is best / worst for you.

Are you travelling around or is this just in a fixed location (Goole?). As already mentioned a MiFi device with an external antenna can often make a big difference - or even just putting your MiFi device outside in a Tupperware box is a start!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Three's data infrastructure is the oldest 3g network of them all. Approx 12-13 years old. In that time they have carried out minimal maintenance so now it is starting to degrade. Coverage is starting to get very patchy and when a cell drops out it usually takes them weeks rather than hours or days to repair it. In the EU this isn't relevant because they will just be using a local network but in the UK if you've never had issues you are lucky and don't be surprised when you do. When I was with them my office was in the same village as my house and I used my phone a lot for business calls. The local cell failed so not even a phone signal never mind anything else. It took just over 3 weeks to be repaired. I complained and eventually the response was the because I could drive to another location to use my phone that's what I should do!

The Vodafone/O2 shared network isn't far behind either.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Devonbeekeeper: thanks for the info. Can't really understand all the stuff on my mobile phone either!! I think I will be having a word with Addie at Peterborough to see if he can sort me out!!

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well three was brilliant in our aria nd no it has degraded to almost no service un les a drive almost half a mile Frome home
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have just phoned them not the best answer have been told it's a mobile network and basikly if I go mobile I should find a signal
even if they fix the problem I am not giving them another penny
bill

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Company I work for provides data Access (backhaul) infrastructure for most of the mobile operators.
Three by far lease the highest national capacity.

I wouldn't touch Vodafone with a shitty stick. 3G network is flakey and slow. 4G network is a joke, which they've pretty much given up trying to upgrade - hence their adverts for their upcoming "5G" network. However, 5G is reliant on them buying Liberty Global. It's a fact they offered a reputed $130bn, but was rejected. Not sure where Vodafone will magic that kind of money from. The money they made from the sale of Verizon has pretty much gone.
Three are about to make an offer to Telefonica for O2
BT are in talks to buy EE - although no one in the industry can understand why BT have changed their minds from buyng O2 to instead buying EE.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It can also be the phone.

Not unheard of for two different phones on the same network side by side giving different experiences.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have had a 3 sim in several devices for mobile internet access for several years now and have no complaints :xThumb:. Depending where you are it goes like the proverbial off a stick, then other times it can be a little sluggish, like now at Knaresborough CC site. :xdoh:

Note to self - must buy an aerial as Addie suggested.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Never thought I would say this, used to hate 3 due to crap service. Have used it this year across France and much if the UK with my IPad, surprising consistently good. Have used it to watch tv in France and reasonably good in about 60% of instances. Tend to buy the 3gb 90day sim for £20.00 and top up with a new data sim as necessary.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tried a few and certainly for us EE has been consistently good .. The only down side is they are not well priced for use outside the UK ( in my opinion )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back