Anyone with a Easy lifter Hydra trail? (1 Viewer)

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
hi

Following earlier posts, can anyone that has one of these, give me some dimensions of it please? was looking for the distance from the tow hitch attachment to the centre line of the loading tray, or better still, the end of a handlebar? realise that this distance gets shorter over bumps etc due to how it works.
looking to get one and hopefully still use my 2 bike Fiamma cycle rack. With a slight modification, the second tray sticks out from the back of the van only 250mm, due to quite a deep bumper, hoping this would be enough to clear a hydra trail.
Thanks in advance

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
Hi
I have one of these fitted and will be using week after next on a trip cannot remember the distance of the back of the motorhome but if you speak to the owner of the company he can extend the support to move the bed away from the motor home (are you looking at the model with the supporting wheels ) we carry a transalp 650 works fine

OP
OP
Gcs

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Yes, looking at the wheeled version, I've read just about every thread on them, the good, the bad and the ugly, and it still seems a pretty good idea to me. Have you used it on long runs, got a couple of trips down to the Alps coming up and want to make sure it's up to the job, also, how does it cope with uneven ground, when for example the motorhome tilts one side and the hydra trail goes the other?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
We live in cornwall drove 600 miles last aug moto gp etc towed fine did slow down for speedhumps forgot on back 70mph sometimes going to wales to tour with motorbike mon week and plan to tour alps some time if you send a pm (sorrry do not know how to with you phone num ) will call and talk if you wish with info .
Adrian

Reactions: Gcs
Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I just popped out and had a measure up and the distance from the centre of the ball to the centre of the deck is 36 inches.

I carry a Honda 400 (later type) and it has 30 inch wide handle bars with 12 inch mirrors each side, the only thing I do is unscrew a bit the right hand on(nearest the M/H) and lash it to the other with a piece of string (you could take it off completely). I also have a two bike Fiama bike rake on the M/H and neither interfere with each other.
I like you were worried about this and one day jacked the bike up with a car hydraulic trolley jack as far as it could almost go and found the only way to make it touch was if you has dropped your M/H into a 24inch ditch with the hydro sitting on the top. The angle is so steep its almost impossible to do.

We have carried this Honda for over 6000 miles without any problems other than not strapping it down properly (this I cannot stress enough) strap the wheels to the deck, the front to the outriggers, the back to the "over seat bar" and finally the "over seat bar" to the front outriggers.

Hope this helps and happy Motor biking.

OP
OP
Gcs

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
John, you're a star, thanks for the info, just what I was after.
Looks like tomorrow could be an expensive day on the phone to Easy Lifter...

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
One piece of advice to add is get the guy who makes them (Tony I think) to put a piece of 5mm plate across the bottom, where the front wheel fits and the centre
bar ( a triangle shape @ 12 inchs long), as mine had metal fatigue crack after some huge pot holes in Italy (it had taken one hell of a beating). now welded up so will never fail ever again.

20160407_163227.jpg

20160407_163345.jpg

OP
OP
Gcs

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Cheers John, will do.
Just had a thought, when you say the hydratrail doesn't foul on a Faimma 2 bike cycle rack, that is with bikes loaded on it is it? Can't go away in the Moho without me bikes as well

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Just had a thought, when you say the hydratrail doesn't foul on a Faimma 2 bike cycle rack, that is with bikes loaded on it is it? Can't go away in the Moho without me bikes as well
Oh yes we tend to alternate between the push bikes and the motorbike, as we go about 30-40 miles radius from the site and use the push bikes to a 20 mile radius depending on inclines, we learnt early we are not up to long steep hills/mountains.
I also have a camera bolted to the tow bar just to keep a eye on things every so often whilst traveling (for my peace of mind only), as I have heard of people who have either adjusted the clamp on the rotating bit too much, or not enough which either drags the tyre side ways or allows it to flip back and forth which increases tyre wear.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
Gcs

Gcs

Feb 18, 2015
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
5 years
Ha ha, riding hills is the best bit of cycling!!
Had been thinking the same thing of fixing up another rear camera to keep an eye on things, as the one on there at the moment is obviously for keeping an eye on my bikes on the cycle rack.... (y)

Thanks for your help

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, looking at the wheeled version, I've read just about every thread on them, the good, the bad and the ugly, and it still seems a pretty good idea to me. Have you used it on long runs, got a couple of trips down to the Alps coming up and want to make sure it's up to the job, also, how does it cope with uneven ground, when for example the motorhome tilts one side and the hydra trail goes the other?

Hi, I've got one and have towed to South of France - no problems whatsoever. Like you I read so many threads and decided to go ahead and purchase and am really pleased I did.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back