Anyone want to sell their 2016 Britstops book? (1 Viewer)

Jakki

Free Member
Nov 2, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Anyone want to sell their 2016 Britstops book? Britstops have sold out and wanted to get a feel for it before we buy the 2017 book.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Joking apart we stopped using them as it worked out to be quite expensive if you have a meal, the establishments were not supposed to insist but many did sadly. Good luck with the search.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think you will find that buyers have to swear an oath of secrecy :xgrin:

Oh dear, I gave mine away.

I looked and just got the feeling that I'm begging them to do me a favour letting me park in their car park. Probably totally illogical but not the way I do things.

A campsite, a CL it's sole purpose is to exchange money for a service, all clean and above board and basically I'm in charge of the situation.

OP
OP
Jakki

Jakki

Free Member
Nov 2, 2016
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
CWH we don't have a motorhome yet! Just trying to get a feel for whether it is for us.

What's a CL?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
If you google Pub stopovers you will see 900 pub stopovers mostly free.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
If you google Pub stopovers you will see 900 pub stopovers mostly free.
Is there any difference between Pub stops and subscription Brit stops?
I don't mind paying bit if its all on line, what's the advantage in Britstops ?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
CWH we don't have a motorhome yet! Just trying to get a feel for whether it is for us.

What's a CL?
OK, hadn't realised you were vanless (like me at the moment!)

BritStops are businesses who've agreed with the BritStops company that they're available for motorhome stopovers. They're mostly pub carparks but there are others such as farm shops, craft centres etc. If they're conveniently located for your journey, they're great.
I can understand those like @hilldweller who don't feel comfortable with it, but I've no problems with staying somewhere that's offered to take me.
@Badknee is citing Stops who've broken the 'rules' (such as they are) which is that business aren't supposed to ask you to spend - it's part of their side of the agreement. Having said that, I've tended to use them on the days I specifically wanted a meal out, or wanted to do some Christmas shopping, or wanted to stock my fridge. But I've never felt awkward about NOT buying anything, nor been asked to. In fact the whole welcome has been to the parking area, with information about any facilities on offer; and never to the sales area unless I've asked. I think Paul @Badknee must have been very unlucky in his choice of Stops.
I always leave a thankyou card.

Is there any difference between Pub stops and subscription Brit stops?
I don't mind paying bit if its all on line, what's the advantage in Britstops ?
I think for me the main advantage is that BritStops is NOT on-line so easier to access when I'm on the road. Also as it's subscription-based, there's a bit of an agreement going on there between the company, the provider and the guest, which includes the bit I've mentioned above which is that they've volunteered a parking space (sometimes with added facilities) but are NOT supposed to expect you to buy anything.
You get monthly up-dates notified to the company by the providers (which ARE of course on-line) and members feed back any changes or issues they find, which the company confirms then adds to the updates.

Hope this is useful.

EDIT Oh - and the BritStops company does ask members to let them know if providers ask guests to spend money.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I bought it once an haven't bothered since we usually just pull in sleek to the land lord tell him were growing to have a few pint's is it OK to stay in the car park never Ben refused yet
Bill

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Joking apart we stopped using them as it worked out to be quite expensive if you have a meal, the establishments were not supposed to insist but many did sadly. Good luck with the search.

Same here tried it for a year didn't renew, having said that it works for lots of folks but wasn't for us.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Coming from deepest Cornwall I find there are lots of very convenient stops on my way to... wherever. I'm never in a hurry to get to... wherever, so it's good to have stops that have already agreed to let me stay where I can relax and not worry about my welcome :)
Even if I don't want a few pints :xwink:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I didn't, I just stayed at different places that were cheaper.
How can you get cheaper than free unless they paid you to stay
We've stayed on Brit Stops and never been suggested that we buy anything. However, we have eaten at a couple and found them extremely good value meals. The cost of a meal for two was cheaper than staying at a site and we had a lovely evening.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
The also mention such thing as open Mike nights, so have gone to a specific pub for that reason :)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We stopped at a Britstop pub in Wales. We are not members but the Landlord was not bothered as its all business at the end of the day. Large FLAT car park. Water if we wanted it. Very friendly and food not bad. Talking to the Landlord after he said a MH had stopped a couple of weeks previous and they came into the bar with their book. They asked if they could plug a laptop in and he asked them if they wanted a drink. The reply was no we just want to charge up the laptop. Asked if they wanted a meal in the evening they again said no. He then said that it was normal for MH's to use the facilities so they pointed out to him that they had paid for the book and it said you were not expected to buy anything. At which point they were asked to leave :xThumb: .. Think the Landlord was spot on. They offer a service in return for your custom. (y)

Just found the pub stops on this forum and downloaded them. Converted them into a KML file so I can use them on the Sat/Nav.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have used them regularly, always been made welcome, never felt I was asking them to do me a favour, never been pressured to have a meal or a drink although I often have done. I have to say I would rather pay for a meal in a Britstop pub than pay an exorbitant site fee. I really don't understand what's not to like. I know there are pubs that allow overnight stays and I would use them too but I like the information in the Britstop book so I know what the place is like before I arrive and can easily phone ahead.

As for giving away or selling my last years guide, no chance. There is plenty of information on this site and on the Britstop site to get a flavour of what it's all about and to decide whether to purchase the guide.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We stopped at a Britstop pub in Wales. We are not members but the Landlord was not bothered as its all business at the end of the day. Large FLAT car park. Water if we wanted it. Very friendly and food not bad. Talking to the Landlord after he said a MH had stopped a couple of weeks previous and they came into the bar with their book. They asked if they could plug a laptop in and he asked them if they wanted a drink. The reply was no we just want to charge up the laptop. Asked if they wanted a meal in the evening they again said no. He then said that it was normal for MH's to use the facilities so they pointed out to him that they had paid for the book and it said you were not expected to buy anything. At which point they were asked to leave :xThumb: .. Think the Landlord was spot on. They offer a service in return for your custom. (y)

Just found the pub stops on this forum and downloaded them. Converted them into a KML file so I can use them on the Sat/Nav.
I know it's not right to just go and use the place without buying anything, but it is what it says in the book, and they were quite within their rights, it's the landlord that's wrong.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

What's a CL?
CL s and CS s are 5 van sites listed by The Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club for members only priced from a ÂŁ5 to ÂŁ15 a night. Some have no facilities other than a tap and probably somewhere to empty your loo and waste to others with EHU and toilets and showers,,,BUSBY,

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I know it's not right to just go and use the place without buying anything, but it is what it says in the book, and they were quite within their rights, it's the landlord that's wrong.
But the book doesn't say sit in the pub and use these facilities and landlords electricity for free to charge your laptop either. The car park is the free without obligation bit not facilities.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Love BritStops or not, to use that horrible phrase: "it is what it is", clearly explained on their website, and if someone subscribes, knowing what it is, then they shouldn't complain that it isn't something else :xwink:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I disagree. The parking facility is there but not the electricity. Plus, taking electricity without consent is theft. What's the difference in taking unauthorised electric and helping yourself to a drink from behind the bar without paying? I've not seen any Brit Stops where free inside electric is available

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back