Anyone used 'Greased Lightening' to clean their van? (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Martin these products are supposed to be water-less or at least used alone. So therefore they are designed to clean a vehicle that is dirty. Least that's how I read it....

So why wash a vehicle in the normal way and then use them ? Surely there would be no purpose ?

We accept (I think) or at least I do spraying them onto a dirty vehicle then rubbing the stuff in is not going to end happy..

No I wont clean a vehicle unless I have access to right kit while I'm away. That said it is possible to visit a jet wash at a garage then set up on site and finish the task there. But I would be using very soft micofibres and a good lubricating detailing spray. No way would I be spraying anything on a surface that was not free from dust and grime.

I have used Greased Lightening but as others have said I rinsed the car first to remove any surface grit the same as I would do if I was going to do a detergent wash on the car, I then applied the greased lightening and found it so so easy to polish it up afterwards, that is the purpose of why I rinse first then use the solution.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think the essence is in "use as per instructions". If you do "rub it in" you get what you deserve. I've found that there is NO NEED to rub hard and the product itself lubricates sufficiently so that the correct cloth lifts and absorbs what dirt is there.

But as Charlie says, make your own mind up.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think the essence is in "use as per instructions". If you do "rub it in" you get what you deserve. I've found that there is NO NEED to rub hard and the product itself lubricates sufficiently so that the correct cloth lifts and absorbs what dirt is there.

But as Charlie says, make your own mind up.

Terry what I think is how much product is required to shift all the dust and dirt off even a moderately dirty Motor Home ? I wonder if there is enough in one bottle to use it generously enough to clean even a small PVC..

OK fair doos it is easy for someone like me who is a perfectionist way beyond the usual vehicle owner. For instance I absolutely never was any vehicle no matter what it is without foam washing and power washing off before a wash mitt or sponge goes anywhere near it. Its a matter of ridding the entire vehicle of everything possible before washing.. Through winter I foam and power wash only. There is no point in my opinion in washing by hand in winter as 2 miles down the road and they look crap again anyway.

Any valeter or Detailer will shudder at the thought of using these one hit water less products. Honestly in the detailing world they laughed at and scorned in equal measures.

With respect I think this thread is going round and round now so no point in me saying anymore. (y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Please do Not use waterless products on your plastic/acrylic windows ! No matter whether you have plastic/acrylic or glass you will definitely inflict the same damage to them as you will to paint !

I could write a thread about how to polish glass and Plastic / acrylic but these threads just end up so contentious is just not worth doing !

I take Extreme car over windows as swirling can be put up with if that way inclined but on windows we have to look through them !

Hi Charlie
I think a lot of motorhomers on here would like your advice on the cleaning of acrylic windows. many windows suffer scratches etc from hedges let alone poor cleaning. Its just a minority of peeps on here that will argue for ever and never accept anyone else's methods but a lot do take your advice.
keep up the good work , everyone has something to learn from your posts.
cheers(y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Oh, I thought 'greased lightening' was the cleaning and valeting service centre near Plymouth airport. The guy, with the help of his 10 Polish employees, cleaned my extremely green and dirty MH in about 20 minutes and that included the roof :roflmto:

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Please do Not use waterless products on your plastic/acrylic windows ! No matter whether you have plastic/acrylic or glass you will definitely inflict the same damage to them as you will to paint !

I could write a thread about how to polish glass and Plastic / acrylic but these threads just end up so contentious is just not worth doing !

I take Extreme car over windows as swirling can be put up with if that way inclined but on windows we have to look through them !

I should have been clearer - my UPVC sills at home AFTER cleaning them - in effect using as a QD on home plastics

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back