Anyone used 'Greased Lightening' to clean their van?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bellabee, Oct 19, 2015.

1. bellabee

bellabee Funster

I've just spent a couple of hours doing the van with Colonite, as recently recommended by @Charlie (still far from finished!), but it's looking good.
    My very nice neighbour, (who doesn't object to the van on our drive), and who used to have a Jaguar dealership, came round and gave me a bottle of 'Greased Lightening.' He said it's what they always used on the Jags. It comes in a spray and claims to 'clean, shine and protect all in one without water.' The claim is that you can clean and wax a car in under 30 mins!
    Does anyone know this product, and whether it's safe for motorhomes?

2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I use it on our Honda and it is very good. But, I doubt the claim 'cleans without water' I couldn't bring myself to polish a dirty car, so mine is power washed with a foam lance, rinsed, dried, then polished. Give it a good shake first though.

Craig

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

My limited knowledge tell me to be careful what you use to clean and polish the motorhome.
    Car paintwork is different to motorhome GRP etc.
    Personally I would only use recommended products to suit the motorhome finish.

• Like Like x 2
  4. bellabee

bellabee Funster

I think you're right about using water. I can't imagine you'd do anything but grind the dirt in without it.
    I'd noticed it was thick at the bottom of the bottle and clear at the top!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

I assume that it is similar to the several 'Dry Wash' products on the market. They all make a great fuss about it not scratching the surface, which you spray over first then leave a moment before polishing off.. I confess to being dubious about it not scratching but have tried it and must admit it does not seem to scratch and does clean off the dirt. I tried it out on the black runs that grow down the back of my van when parked up. It made a good job of cleaning and polishing but I do not have enough faith in the product yet, for it to replace the much harder to apply polish I normally use. Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Yes, that's what was worrying me. There's no way I'd put it on the van until the OH gets back from work, anyway. Could land myself in trouble. I'm feeling tempted to just squirt a bit out and give it back to the neighbour and say 'Thank you very much for that, I'll go and buy some.' I don't want to appear rude and ungrateful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I did use it on my 5th wheel trailer after a good wash and it came up good, but it was an aluminium sidewall.

Craig

8. stevec

stevec Funster

I've used this on cars but purely as a wax (it is supposed to contain Carbuba wax). I would not use it to clean a dirty car. For a quick shine up it is ok and it doesn't leave a residue.

I've also used it on my previous Autocruise MH which had GRP skin and was not particulary keen on the result. The "gloss" was a bit patchy. But try it on a small area first.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Been using it for several years and just this weekend cleaned both cars with this product. Neither car was particularly dirty, just basically rain shower residue, and both came up beautifully with no scratches, swirling or other detrimental effects. If there had been any proper dirt of course I would have given them a quick washdown first. It is important to use the correct application cloth - I use microfibre cloths and change them before they get too dirty. Took me about 25mins to do wifes Peugeot 206 and about 45 for my Peugeot 307SW (but I don't rush).

I also use it on the van (but it takes somewhat longer of course). It won't bring back a shine to dulled paintwork and I usually clean off any black streaks first with black streak remover - if you're starting from there you're going to need a lot more work. If I've got any observation, it doesn't seem to last as well as "proper" car wax but as it's so easy to use I don't mind doing it 3/4 times a year, when the raindrops don't "bead" anymore. At other times I tend to wash the vehicles with proper car wash, which helps.

It's also pretty good at getting dried "fly-squash" off.

It settles out when stored, as seen by the OP - just give the bottle a good shake first.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gooney

Gooney Funster

You got a good neighbour there to give you a bottle, it's not a cheap preparation!!, does clean and shine well though with very little effort, can been seen demonstrated on the shopping TV channels and some times with 2 for 1 offers.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

@Charlie has commented on these before - don't touch with a barge pole was his recommendation. All you do is polish the car with any dirt on the paint surface. It will work after a fashion and give it a shine but look carefully and there will almost certainly be swirls on the paint caused by the grit on the cloth.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bellabee

bellabee Funster

I'm coming to suspect that it might be OK for lightly-soiled Jags, but will stick to the Colonite and elbow-grease method on the van. We already washed it yesterday.
    In any case, it's a good way of working-off the calories!

• Like Like x 1
  13. zac

zac Funster Life Member

I have some of this and have done for a couple of years, i now wont use it on my Motorhome as although it certainly does clean it i dont trust what it is taking off underneath so only now use it on the car (dont care about that :))
    It is useful if you dont have any water to hand but not worth it on a massively expensive motorhome.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Do a job make a job....

These water less products no matter who makes them or what they claim are nothing short of disastrous !

I really doesn't matter if it's a cheap car an expensive car a cheap motor home or one costing 200K the same results will happen when you take any product and rub it over the surface unless that surface is clean and free from dust and any of the other crap that sticks to it.

Put these products onto a dirty vehicle and you effectively create s rubbing paste. Then run it in and inflict swirls light scratches and worse to the various surfaces in our case on our expensive motor homes .

This has been discussed at length in the detaling section .

• Like Like x 2
  15. JJ

JJ Funster

All these posts about cleaning and polishing motorhomes (and cars) has made my head hurt.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Well, cleaning the van has made my arm hurt!

In the end, I gave the car a rub over with the 'Greased Lightening.' Maybe I shouldn't have, but it was months since the car had seen any polish, and cleaning it with the stuff was so easy.
    I might not do it again though, having read some of the comments on here, and I certainly wouldn't use it on the van.

17. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I absolutely guarantee it will do the same damage to your car as your van .

Greased lightening is not a polish.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dabhand

dabhand Funster Life Member

It's the one that I want.... Ooh ooh ooh!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tootles

Tootles Funster

The wife cleans ours. She's certainly greasy, but hardly moves like lightning. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. barsteward

barsteward Funster

Funnily enough @bellabee I too washed the M/H yesterday and started waxing today, trouble is I keep finding marks so go back and polish out before re applying Collanite. Anyway I was going to start a thread asking how long it took people to clean their M/H......7 hrs in and I've managed to do the back and one side (excluding the cab) I should have it finished in another 2 days:rolleyes:

Do you think I could make a living at it:whistle: