Anyone use a tyre sealant (Drive-Safe)?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Cyclewalkbob, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

I have no spare tyre, nor can I fit a tyre holder under the rear chassis due to axle weight reasons.
    I am reluctant to use the fiat pump and go system due to the nasty fumes ( not for asthmatics) that can be released.

Has anyone used Drive Safe tyre sealant, either the pre puncture type or the emergency puncture product.

If so what were the pros/cons of using them?

Many thanks

2. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

One downside of tyre sealants is that they only seal smallish punctures - any large gash or a common tyrewall failure & they are useless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

I use puncturesafe in both the MH and the car, neither of which have spares. It won't stop a catastrophic failure but will work with the more common screws on the tread. A good compromise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We used a tyre product that stopped punctures. It was good; the number of punctures that I had dropped considerably and it slowed the rate of air loss from a large slash so I could pull off the motorway and deal with the tyre change safely.

I think that it was called tyre safe. I bought a load off my brother when he worked for them. Down to the last 3 bottles now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

'SLIME' for me.

Tried it in my lawn tractor tyres and thorn punctures are a thing of the past.
    The tyre 'skin' is very thin and even small thorns cause punctures.
    Will seal up to a 5mm hole and is water soluble so proper repairs can be undertaken if really needed.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

What about those bands they put in tyres?
    Don't know the name though.

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

http://www.tyron.co.uk/

I don't think they seal the puncture but allow you to drive to a place of safety.

8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

used oko for years . in africa in the desert thorns can puncture your tyres loads of times a day . have known as many as 11 punctures in one tyre in a day .
    sometimes have only put it in when the tyre keeps deflating . but it does work.
    have also seen green slime thrown up under the wheel arch when a bigger hole in tyre but it sealed that as well. brilliant stuff .

9. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

What worries me with these tyre sealants is that it could mask the fact that the tyre had been punctured.

If the tyre has been punctured (with sealant), it must surely compromise the future safety of the tyre.

I don't know the answer but I would rather know that it has been punctured (without sealant) so I can get it repaired to bring it back to it's former glory.

However, I accept that a puncture initiated at high speed could be a saviour (with the sealant) in that particular situation.

I would rather spend the extra dosh on a tyre pressure monitoring system. It would give you warning of a loss of pressure at high speed. If it was a sidewall blowout, even the sealant wouldn't help in that situation.

10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

http://okosales.co.uk/shop/

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Most tier wall faluers are caused by under inflation
    Tier belt separation under inflation
    Bill

• Like Like x 2
  12. vwalan

vwalan Funster

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Checking your tiers regularly this is before you start any jurny and at each stop on long jurnays can help you to avoid problems.
    Regular walk round's and fiscal checking of the ruber.
    The only blow out I have had was running over a lorry rechet in my car on a motorway
    A inspection mirror can help you to see inside wall of tier whare it's hard to see. Problem's developing
    Bill
    2-led-telescopic-inspection-mirror.jpg
    This is a LED one but a plumbers one dose the same job

• Like Like x 1
  14. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

You will find that the majority of tyre sealants are coloured - usually pink so that punctures are visible on inspection - you do check your tyres regularly don't you :rofl: :rofl:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. DuxDeluxe

Oh yes...... No excuse for not checking regularly

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

So, what happens if you get a nail in the tread and the coloured sealant is unable to escape to the surface of the tyre?

I found your comment "you do check your tyres regularly don't you" to be condescending and followed by the hilarious laughing to be blatantly taking the p**s.

Although a newbie to this forum, I have also been camping in one way or another for at least 50 years.

PS. Hope I haven't contravened Rule ??? Cos I find this forum brilliant.

17. FJmike

FJmike Funster

I have always used Puncturesafe and once in it becomes a habit to have visual check before long journeys to makee sure the wheel arch is sealant free. However I am not sure if it was a set of dodgy wheels but twice I suffer from rust pinholes on the inside of the rim, it may have been the sealant. I now have alloy wheels so rust is no longer a problem. One thing that I have noticed is that the tyre pressure stays constant as well as tyre balance.

18. DuxDeluxe

Well, the nail head would be spotted, in the same way as if there wasn't any sealant...... always a distressing sight to find one though

• Like Like x 1
  19. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Shame you cannot see the jest in the comment - a full tyre check should be the removal of the wheel checking the inner wall as well as the outer then rotating the tyre removing stones and checking between the treads for damage finally you should check the tyre pressure while the tyres are cold - you should then refit the wheel torqueing the nuts up to the manufactures specification then after approx. 30 miles you should re torque the nuts. Now if you do that on a regular basis you are a rarity. The majority of people check there is one on each corner and if the rim is too close to the tarmac they may consider putting some air in it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 955matt

955matt Funster

Some people are so serious