Anyone tried a solar shower?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Hunting High n Low, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low Read Only Funster

2. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Didnt work in Iraq in the late summer, although that was a few years ago and with the world a bit warmer since then, still prob wouldnt work:Wink:

3. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Used them all the time when we lived in Oman. Worked perfectly there. Maybe if you get hot sunny days they will be fine, otherwise no good.

Lin

4. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Yes - I carry two of them in my MH. If you half fill them (10 litres), evacuate all the remaining air from the bag, and lay them on your MH roof in the morning, on a sunny day in the Mediterranean area you'll end up with water hot enough to make you go 'Bloody Hell!' by tea time. Great for washing up water, evening wash in a basin, or even a shower. I once tried 'showering' outside in an Aire in Biarritz under the pathetic trickle that comes out of the spout, but it's far better just to go inside your MH shower, open the stopper on the bag and empty it all over your head.

I like them because they save gas used used on heating up water, you end up with more warm water than a typical MH boiler provides, and it's no major effort to set them up.

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I've used them a few years ago on a yachting holiday in Greece.

a couple of those secured to the deck in a morning and hooked to a mast/sail rope and hoisted up in the evening.

very warm water but not a lot of it :Sad:

usual scenario.......get wet, water off, get soapy, rinse off.......water gone :Doh:

fun watching the young foreign ladies though....they have no shame or embarrassed, showering on deck completely naked :Eeek:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

8. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I've only ever used mine when there's been no chance of the 'solar' bit working (first thing in the morning, or an overcast day) and no proper shower available - filled it with boiling water from the kettle, mixed with cold.

Not much pressure but just about does the job. Doesn't need to be too full - in fact if I fill it to the top it'll probably pull my utility tent down!

9. robnchris

robnchris Funster

solar showers

We used them a lot when sailing out in Greece most of our friends had them aswell, standard bits of kit out there, well worth the money.:thumb:

10. Hunting High n Low

Hunting High n Low Read Only Funster

Thanks guys, sounds promising then.:Smile:

11. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

Brilliant when sunny, sometimes too hot!! Very small to carry so useful when space is limited. We use them at motocross when I won't let the dusty riders in my van :Rofl1:

12. stcyr

stcyr Funster

We've got a couple in the MH. Used one at Roger's site in May last year, quite hot enough to use after 3 to 4 hours... :BigGrin:

13. weekenders

weekenders Funster Life Member

We have used them in france before, fill up in the day and whilst the sun is blaring hot on the roof of your van heat's up the water nicely, sometimes too hot, but use quickly as it soon runs out

14. boyart23

boyart23

boyart23

Used small one whilst in France in the spring. Needed care cos water was bit too hot! This was after leaving it most of day in the sun, moving it as necessary. Hung it from a tree to do the biz, (it helped having an assistant). Sadly the clip' control valve has now snapped and no longer works. Have seen them in regular in UK at DA meets, so look good to me. Will buy another but go for a larger type. Hope that helps

Boyart

15. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Oooooh errrrr misses, you need to put a pre-health warning out before those kind of closing lines, me hearts gone a dickie for a second :Blush:

16. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Brilliant product and very environmentally friendly. Used them all the time throughout 2 Wars in the Gulf and they were a god send and much better than the adapted fire buckets originally issued, that's for sure, only one thing, test it before you use it and leave a bit of space to add cold water or you may burn your bits :Wink:

Or you could join the seafaring yachts and try not to peek :Wink:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

17. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Some campers on our site used them for washing their dogs off after walking in the muddy forest.

18. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

Looks more efficient than using the on-board water heater, just boil the kettle. Will definitely get one of these.

Thanks

19. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

hot

mine got really hot in france. but it comes out very slow.but great at washing sandy feet.:Cool:

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'm led to believe that in Australia a length of adapted black wide pore plastic pipe is a commonly seen attachment on many camper vans. Filled with cold water in the morning, and letting out steaming hot water via tap and hose by the afternoon.