Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi,
The sand flies are only a significant problem on the West Coast and Fiorland - and even then usually at dusk. Citronella insect repellant keeps them at bay.
If you are coming in late spring through to autumn I would go north from Auckland, maybe up through the Hokianga (kauri country) and through to Kerikeri/Paihia/Waitangi/Russell. From there you could explore the coast to the north which has some attractive beaches. It is along way north to Cape Farewell. If you do this make sure you drive to 90 Mile Beach -accessible via a good gravelled road. You can drive along the beach - even in a M/H. There are giant natural sand slides there.
Coming back down you have a choice of routes. The east coast is drier and the middle/west coast are greener. I think Coromandel is over rated - hard to get to the water at times - half of NZ thinks differently. I would probably go via, Raglan (worth the detour - great surf), Waitomo (glow worm caves) Rotorua, Lake Taupo (biggest crater lake in the world), Wanganui, Wellington. If you have more time add a loop from Rotorua around Poverty Bay through to Gisborne/Napier and back to Taupo.
For the South Island I would turn right at Picton, go to Golden Bay (a bit of a detour) and then back to Motuaka and down the West Coast to Haast - through to Wanaka/Queenstown and on to Fiordland. Coming back I would backtrack to Queenstown and then up through the Lindis Pass (middle of the South Island past Mt Cook) to Christchurch. From Christchurch there are a number of day trips that are worthwhile (Akaroa, Kaikoura (whale watching) and Arthurs Pass).
Trade Me website is the best avenue to sell your Motorhome.
If you have specific interests I may be able to recommend some attractions.
Regards
tony
Glad to see we covered everything if not a bit more! We also did the south coast of South Island from Dunedin round to Riverton and then up to Fjordland (saving the best till last!)
saw Curio Bay and the Catlins.We found the landscape of Central Otago interestingly different.
Most of the New Zealanders we met said we would see more of NZ than they would,mind you we did do just over 11,000Km!

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
January, February, I personally think are the best months but so do a lot more people. March is fine a little cooler but less tourists.
Queen Charlotte Drive in the Marlborough Sounds is worth driving around - there are camping grounds along the way.
Enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hi,
The sand flies are only a significant problem on the West Coast and Fiorland - and even then usually at dusk. Citronella insect repellant keeps them at bay.
If you are coming in late spring through to autumn I would go north from Auckland, maybe up through the Hokianga (kauri country) and through to Kerikeri/Paihia/Waitangi/Russell. From there you could explore the coast to the north which has some attractive beaches. It is along way north to Cape Farewell. If you do this make sure you drive to 90 Mile Beach -accessible via a good gravelled road. You can drive along the beach - even in a M/H. There are giant natural sand slides there.
Coming back down you have a choice of routes. The east coast is drier and the middle/west coast are greener. I think Coromandel is over rated - hard to get to the water at times - half of NZ thinks differently. I would probably go via, Raglan (worth the detour - great surf), Waitomo (glow worm caves) Rotorua, Lake Taupo (biggest crater lake in the world), Wanganui, Wellington. If you have more time add a loop from Rotorua around Poverty Bay through to Gisborne/Napier and back to Taupo.
For the South Island I would turn right at Picton, go to Golden Bay (a bit of a detour) and then back to Motuaka and down the West Coast to Haast - through to Wanaka/Queenstown and on to Fiordland. Coming back I would backtrack to Queenstown and then up through the Lindis Pass (middle of the South Island past Mt Cook) to Christchurch. From Christchurch there are a number of day trips that are worthwhile (Akaroa, Kaikoura (whale watching) and Arthurs Pass).
Trade Me website is the best avenue to sell your Motorhome.
If you have specific interests I may be able to recommend some attractions.
Regards
tony
Tony, that's absolutely fabulous, thanks very much! When our maps arrive we'll plot all the points you (and others) have mentioned and see if a route springs out!

As far as specific interests go, we're keen walkers/cyclists and don't much like over touristy type places so any thoughts along those lines gratefully received!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
[QUOTE="As far as specific interests go, we're keen walkers/cyclists and don't much like over touristy type places so any thoughts along those lines gratefully received![/QUOTE]

We did 3 excellent walks, of about 7-8 miles when we we're in the South Island in February

Abel Tasmin and Marlborough Sound are both coastal walks where you can take a water taxi and choose how far you walk before being picked up by water taxi again

We also did the Hooker Valley walk which takes you to the foot of Mt Cook

Can supply more info, photos or links to water taxis etc

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Its funny how a thread by someone else can spark something in you that spurs you into doing something.

I have consulted SWMBO and it looks like we will be going to N Z early doors next year from around mid March.

Does any one have any suggestions about short stop overs.

Getting excited :) Rich

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Beijing was interesting. Hong Kong , Bangkok, Singapore, Tokyo also, because a stopover for us is usually just 3 nights we go on organised trips booked with Trailfinders, otherwise time is wasted having to organise where best to go.
Etap

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We are going in November and stopping off in Hong Kong for a week, then three months on the islands before coming back via Hawaii and San Francisco with a week each there,
it's keeps the flying legs to about 12 hours max,
It seems to me to waste a great opportunity flying direct, when with stop overs you can enjoy other cultures for very little extra money,
Plus it reduces jet lag and getting acclimatised to rising temperatures

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We are looking at a three day stop over outward and the same inward bound.

Have to look into it a bit more but may stop over a day longer.

Does any one have any thoughts about the amount of time needed to tour around N Z im looking at 7 to 8 weeks say 4 weeks in the North and the same in the South Island

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
I have been told by my sister and sister in law, one lives on the North island and other on the south that the South Island is much more challenging with greater distance between stop over points, and road infrastructure being poorer,( unpaved roads)
So we intend spending more time on the South Island touring to see as much as possible, I downloaded this app that gives plenty of ideas of places to visit,

Essential New Zealand Travel Guide by Tourism New Zealand
Broken Link Removed

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
I don't think you will find too many gravel roads in South Island but there are winding roads over and through the hilly areas. Beautiful scenery but unfortunately no lovely little villages - which we love here.
I am sure you will love both islands.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I don't think we ended up on any gravel roads on South Island
and we did 3500 miles and as for stopovers unless you are using sites there are plenty of places to overnight.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
We are looking at a three day stop over outward and the same inward bound.

Have to look into it a bit more but may stop over a day longer.

Does any one have any thoughts about the amount of time needed to tour around N Z im looking at 7 to 8 weeks say 4 weeks in the North and the same in the South Island

I'm getting envious already that you are going to NZ, we loved it.
We went via Los Angeles going out to save cost but wouldn't do that again, didn't find the atmosphere very friendly at the airport during the two hour stopover (surprised we still had to go through security). Three night stopover in Hong Kong was great fun.

We spent three weeks in the South and two weeks in the North, I would suggest more time in the South there is so much to see and explore, the West coast is amazing. Go for a long as you can on your trip!!

We were worried about the sandflies in Fjordland and Milford Sound, the pharmacist there advised taking Apo-Thiamine (Thiamine Hydrochloride) about a week beforehand. We were only able to start them about three days beforehand so can't say how effective it is. We also used insect repellant and covered up as much as we could but in the end they weren't a real problem (this was in January).

There are a couple of campsites at Milford Sound so we took the MH there. There are no shops or petrol stations so you have to make sure you are stocked up with everything you need. The Fjordland film is worth seeing at the little cinema in Te Anau. We detoured to Gunns Camp on the way to Milford from Te Anau, its a very bumpy unmade road though, several miles long.

We stayed at the Top 10 sites, you can do this if you are travelling by car as well as they have rooms/apartments, saved wasting time looking for places to stay. :happy:

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Thanks Houdini

The last big trip we had was in 1999 to Australia 2 adults and 3 kids on money borrowed against our house.

To say im looking forward to this is an understatement :)

It looks like any stop over in America is out so Asia it is then

Did you use this MZCMA book as i have looked and cant find one secoundhand

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hadn't heard of the MZCMA book, used Lonely Planet etc. but mainly went where friends suggested and wherever it took our fancy, that was the fun of it. It was our first taste of motorhoming and what got us started.

We also thought Coromandel was overrated, didn't have time for the Bay of Islands, Gisborne and Maori area unfortunately.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi , hope you have a great time. how are you transporting your van to new zealand? i looked into doing this but unless it fitted into a container it worked out around £20,000!! all the best sean

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can i ask what airline did people use especially for flying into the North Island and out of the South Island.

Also looking to stop over for 2 or 3 days at Hong Kong outward and Tokyo homeward

Any advice great full

Any other recommendations regarding M H hire in New Zealand

Ta Rich

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Go by boat beautiful journey,Wellington to ..... Can't remeber cheapest way.
If you are prepared to rough it,a cheap Campervan!! Most Doc sites have a toilet,camp sites have kitchens,showers toilets,but cost money At the end of the day depends on your budget,!!!!

It's a beautiful place, have been there three times and still not seen all it has to offer.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Picture of Rabbit island,were my daughter lived for a time
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Some one was asking about cost,it does depend when you go!!!
It's not cheap to go whale watching or any of the big attractions,if it's a once in a life time trip,then it's worth it.:Eeek:
Many younger people do back packing,stay in hostels or tents. They have B&B plus family stays.
My advice would do a mixture,Arthur's Pass by train is awesome ,the boat journeys awesome ,and for the very very brave,heart stopping things to do,elf and safety went on holiday:whistle2:
image.jpg

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
Can i ask what airline did people use especially for flying into the North Island and out of the South Island.

Also looking to stop over for 2 or 3 days at Hong Kong outward and Tokyo homeward

Any advice great full

Any other recommendations regarding M H hire in New Zealand

Ta Rich
We are stopping in Hong Kong on the way out and suggest getting octopus cards from the airport information desk, these are similar to our Oyster cards and allow unlimited travel on buses/trains and some ferries, for very little money and half price if over 65
Also worth getting any of the Hong Kong tourist apps. Loads of information and if you have young children they have a Disney world,

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
As far as I remember the HK Star Ferry is free if you are over 65.
Top 10 campsites have a discount card which you pay for, this then gives a discount on their campsite fees and a quite good discount/offers on some tourist attractions - think we saved 50% on our Thunderjet trip at Queenstown. It saved us money but obviously depends how much you use their sites etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We're going via Los Angeles and staying there for a month. Plan to hire a car and wander using motels hoping to do a triangle of LA, Los Vegas and San Francisco taking in the Grand Canyon etc etc. then 6 months in NZ probably split between North and South islands depending on weather really. Trip home will be via Melbourne to watch the grand prix and then Hong Kong for a couple of weeks to get SWMBO a new wardrobe! I'm using STA travel for all the flight stuff and a chap in NZ who is organising all the van transport stuff. If anyone wants his email address etc send me a message and i'll forward it on. Looks like NZ might be getting busier with Funsters!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
We're going via Los Angeles and staying there for a month. Plan to hire a car and wander using motels hoping to do a triangle of LA, Los Vegas and San Francisco taking in the Grand Canyon etc etc. then 6 months in NZ probably split between North and South islands depending on weather really. Trip home will be via Melbourne to watch the grand prix and then Hong Kong for a couple of weeks to get SWMBO a new wardrobe! I'm using STA travel for all the flight stuff and a chap in NZ who is organising all the van transport stuff. If anyone wants his email address etc send me a message and i'll forward it on. Looks like NZ might be getting busier with Funsters!

We also have used STA travel for arranging our flights, I know we could have done it ourselves but it takes out all the hassle IMO

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Looks like i will have to look into STA Travel for flights and stop overs

Join us or log in to post a reply.