Anyone Toured New Zealand?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cossieg, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Hoping someone has! We'll be exporting our Comanche next year with a plan to tour for 8 months or so selling the van there on completion. A few people have done this I know and i wonder if anyone has advice for us?

Keen to find information on:

What maps to buy?
    What websitesbto use for information?
    Is it worth joining any clubs or associations? The NZMCA is $210 to join!
    Any advice on routes based on arriving in September and leaving in April ish
    Wifi and mobiles? Local SIM cards? Who with?
    Anything really!

Thanks

2. rb62

rb62 Funster

Spent 10 weeks there in 2012,well worth getting hold of the NZMCA book,
    may be worth seeing if you could get a second hand one,all the stopping places you could ever need! We had friends out there who let us photocopy pages.Free wi-fi in all the public libraries and on most high streets some with Skype rooms! We arrived Sept in North Island and followed the weather to South Island.all done with an AA road atlas 3km to 1cm
    Best trip we've ever had

• Like Like x 2
  3. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

We are going over this November for 4 months but are swapping MH with a couple from the North Island, I have joined. NZMCA and if you are a member of a similar organisation then the cost are much cheaper, I think about $80, we are taking our phones with 3 sims cards these will work ok in New Zealand ,
    Will have the latest Tom Tom Sd card for New Zealand before we go
    But also downloaded maps ME and have the whole island on a IPad and it was free a few months back but not sure if it still is,
    We also joined NZ heritage that also works in UK for English heritage and national trust, much cheaper too,

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Thanks for that. I'll ask around to see if I can get an old copy of the book. What maps did you use?

5. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Thanks ivorantony, we use 3 so we'll stick with them.. How did you get NZMCA so cheap? Are you taking any paper maps?

6. rb62

rb62 Funster

Just spent the last three hours reliving our tour of NZ,my wife
    took over a year planning routes and places to go,do plenty of research before you go!....places not to miss
    Te Papa museum in Wellington,we went on a Sunday,opens at
    10 and a free car park opposite entrance.
    Coramandel,Cathedral Cove,Bay of Islands,Forgotten highway
    from Stratford,Kauri museum through theWaipona forest to Hokianga,Wai-o-Tapu thermal springs near Rotorua,Lake Taupo and thats just North Island. Can't say much about South Island,just incredible,whale watching at Kiakoura,don't miss the baby seals that swim up a stream under the road just before you get to Kiakoura
    We did both Milford and Doubtful sound,chose small boats to go on,better photo opportunities and more likely to divert!
    And not forgetting Arthurs Pass,somehow she managed to get it onto the route three times!

a couple of tips, water and dump at fuel stations,
    lf pack and save supermarkets are still giving out fuel vouchers they will only work at the supermarket they were issued at (as we found out..wife not happy!)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. etap

etap

Yes have a relative there been a few times and covered both Islands, by hiring a motorhome also have travelled South Island by car, not a lot to add to rb62 reply, we think South Island has probably more beautiful scenery than North Island, however, NZ is a lovely country to visit and doing it by MH is so easy the people are fantastic.
    Etap

• Like Like x 2
  8. rb62

rb62 Funster

Only probably! The crossing from Wellington to Picton was
    just the eye opener for what was to come!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Going for three weeks in Feb , alas not in a MH , hire car and hotels / B and Bs .
    Did the maths and the cost of MH hire was exorbitant.
    Really looking forward to the trip tho !

• Like Like x 2
  10. rb62

rb62 Funster

Funny how you start a thread on NZ and an advert pops up saying 50% of Britz mh hire!

• Like Like x 1
  11. berni109

berni109 Funster

Spent 6 weeks touring by car Jan'feb 2015
    Downloaded osMand+ maps good everywhere we went.
    WiFi access all over. sim card was best deal we could find from internet search.
    Lots of places we did not have time for but you will have time to cover it all.
    Some of the graded gravel roads in out of the way places might be a bit uncomfortable in the mhome.
    Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Spent three months touring in a camper van. It's a Fantastic place North Island green and hilly South Island you will get tired of saying WOW because the scenery is fantastic and less people. We were there in there winter so snow on the mountains reflecting in Crystal clear lakes etc. we bought maps from a local shop. Campsites are great and well set up. Free camping spots are fantastic. You will have a great time. If we could go and live there I would go tomorrow. Have a great trip and keep us updated and plenty of pics. (y)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tony Roberts

Tony Roberts

We live in Christchurch and will be touring the UK and Europe in a M/H in 2016.
    Some great places to visit in the South Island include Fiordland (Dusky and Milford Sound), West Coast (Punakaiki), Arthurs Pass -great drive from Christchurch to Arthurs Pass, Akaroa, Hamner (thermal pools), Kaikoura, Marlborough Sounds and Golden Bay.
    In the North Island Wellington has Te Papa (National Museum), Rotorua (thermal activity/Buried Village), Bay of Islands (make sure you get to see Russell and Paihia).
    I would do the North Island first and the South Island last.
    You will need a good camera, wet weather gear and insect repellant (Fiordland).
    There are rest areas everywhere in the countryside where you can freedom camp.
    Regards
    Tony

• Like Like x 4
  14. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Thanks Tony. You mention insect repellant, is there a time/place to avoid the nasty little beggars or is that just tough? Could we sort a route that puts us in the worst areas at the best time?

15. Kiwi Brit

Kiwi Brit Funster

NZ is very motorhome friendly. Don't forget to stop a few days in Marlborough. Their Sauvignola Blanc is world famous.Huge number of wineries and some have fabulous restaurants.
    Of course I am supporting my home province

• Like Like x 2
  16. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Not quite as motorhome friendly as Australia however. If you wildcamp do it out of sight of roads unless you like being woken by truckdriver's horns.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chuns

chuns Read Only Funster

We hired a Motorhome for a month, and found the most valuable resource to be a free app called Campermate. it works off-line, and with an interactive map, you can read about, and look at, every free camping place (and there are thousands, it seems). I also bought a one month SIM for my iPad, connectivity is very good, even in the remoter places. We stayed just yards from the ocean's edge on many nights, and many other glorious spots. During that month we only stopped three nights in paid-for places, water and waste disposal is free and easy.

Others have listed all the places you should see/go to; I would add three of my own, namely Akaroa, the silver mining museum in Arrowtown, near Queenstown (QT, by the way, is the only place in NZ that doesn't want to make life easy for MH-ing), and the observatory at the top of Mount John.

I have to say it spoiled us for touring here in the Northern hemisphere, especially the UK.

You will enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Never toured in a motorhome but toured twice with a hired motorbike . Is the most beautiful country I have ever visited . Thinking of going again early next year but perhaps a motorhome thus time so any info welcome as the hire costs seem astronomical !

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cossieg

Cossieg Funster

Some great stuff, thanks everyone! Keep it coming!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vouty

Vouty

We hired a motorhome from Wilderness motorhomes and toured the south island in a couple of weeks (way too short). Had a fab time, our 'perfect day' was near lake wanaka, riding out on horseback into the mountains in the morning and then taking a helicopter flight round mount aspiring in the afternoon (gap in the weather) including a snow landing on one of the nearby peaks. As the locals say it was " AWESOME" :)

• Like Like x 1