Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hoping someone has! We'll be exporting our Comanche next year with a plan to tour for 8 months or so selling the van there on completion. A few people have done this I know and i wonder if anyone has advice for us?

Keen to find information on:

What maps to buy?
What websitesbto use for information?
Is it worth joining any clubs or associations? The NZMCA is $210 to join!
Any advice on routes based on arriving in September and leaving in April ish
Wifi and mobiles? Local SIM cards? Who with?
Anything really!

Thanks

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Spent 10 weeks there in 2012,well worth getting hold of the NZMCA book,
may be worth seeing if you could get a second hand one,all the stopping places you could ever need! We had friends out there who let us photocopy pages.Free wi-fi in all the public libraries and on most high streets some with Skype rooms! We arrived Sept in North Island and followed the weather to South Island.all done with an AA road atlas 3km to 1cm
Best trip we've ever had

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We are going over this November for 4 months but are swapping MH with a couple from the North Island, I have joined. NZMCA and if you are a member of a similar organisation then the cost are much cheaper, I think about $80, we are taking our phones with 3 sims cards these will work ok in New Zealand ,
Will have the latest Tom Tom Sd card for New Zealand before we go
But also downloaded maps ME and have the whole island on a IPad and it was free a few months back but not sure if it still is,
We also joined NZ heritage that also works in UK for English heritage and national trust, much cheaper too,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks ivorantony, we use 3 so we'll stick with them.. How did you get NZMCA so cheap? Are you taking any paper maps?

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Just spent the last three hours reliving our tour of NZ,my wife
took over a year planning routes and places to go,do plenty of research before you go!....places not to miss
Te Papa museum in Wellington,we went on a Sunday,opens at
10 and a free car park opposite entrance.
Coramandel,Cathedral Cove,Bay of Islands,Forgotten highway
from Stratford,Kauri museum through theWaipona forest to Hokianga,Wai-o-Tapu thermal springs near Rotorua,Lake Taupo and thats just North Island. Can't say much about South Island,just incredible,whale watching at Kiakoura,don't miss the baby seals that swim up a stream under the road just before you get to Kiakoura
We did both Milford and Doubtful sound,chose small boats to go on,better photo opportunities and more likely to divert!
And not forgetting Arthurs Pass,somehow she managed to get it onto the route three times!

a couple of tips, water and dump at fuel stations,
lf pack and save supermarkets are still giving out fuel vouchers they will only work at the supermarket they were issued at (as we found out..wife not happy!)

Last edited:

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Yes have a relative there been a few times and covered both Islands, by hiring a motorhome also have travelled South Island by car, not a lot to add to rb62 reply, we think South Island has probably more beautiful scenery than North Island, however, NZ is a lovely country to visit and doing it by MH is so easy the people are fantastic.
Etap

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Going for three weeks in Feb , alas not in a MH , hire car and hotels / B and Bs .
Did the maths and the cost of MH hire was exorbitant.
Really looking forward to the trip tho !

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Funny how you start a thread on NZ and an advert pops up saying 50% of Britz mh hire!

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Spent 6 weeks touring by car Jan'feb 2015
Downloaded osMand+ maps good everywhere we went.
WiFi access all over. sim card was best deal we could find from internet search.
Lots of places we did not have time for but you will have time to cover it all.
Some of the graded gravel roads in out of the way places might be a bit uncomfortable in the mhome.
Enjoy

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Spent three months touring in a camper van. It's a Fantastic place North Island green and hilly South Island you will get tired of saying WOW because the scenery is fantastic and less people. We were there in there winter so snow on the mountains reflecting in Crystal clear lakes etc. we bought maps from a local shop. Campsites are great and well set up. Free camping spots are fantastic. You will have a great time. If we could go and live there I would go tomorrow. Have a great trip and keep us updated and plenty of pics. (y)

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
We live in Christchurch and will be touring the UK and Europe in a M/H in 2016.
Some great places to visit in the South Island include Fiordland (Dusky and Milford Sound), West Coast (Punakaiki), Arthurs Pass -great drive from Christchurch to Arthurs Pass, Akaroa, Hamner (thermal pools), Kaikoura, Marlborough Sounds and Golden Bay.
In the North Island Wellington has Te Papa (National Museum), Rotorua (thermal activity/Buried Village), Bay of Islands (make sure you get to see Russell and Paihia).
I would do the North Island first and the South Island last.
You will need a good camera, wet weather gear and insect repellant (Fiordland).
There are rest areas everywhere in the countryside where you can freedom camp.
Regards
Tony

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We live in Christchurch and will be touring the UK and Europe in a M/H in 2016.
Some great places to visit in the South Island include Fiordland (Dusky and Milford Sound), West Coast (Punakaiki), Arthurs Pass -great drive from Christchurch to Arthurs Pass, Akaroa, Hamner (thermal pools), Kaikoura, Marlborough Sounds and Golden Bay.
In the North Island Wellington has Te Papa (National Museum), Rotorua (thermal activity/Buried Village), Bay of Islands (make sure you get to see Russell and Paihia).
I would do the North Island first and the South Island last.
You will need a good camera, wet weather gear and insect repellant (Fiordland).
There are rest areas everywhere in the countryside where you can freedom camp.
Regards
Tony
Thanks Tony. You mention insect repellant, is there a time/place to avoid the nasty little beggars or is that just tough? Could we sort a route that puts us in the worst areas at the best time?

Apr 20, 2015
Blenheim, New Zealand
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am a newbie
NZ is very motorhome friendly. Don't forget to stop a few days in Marlborough. Their Sauvignola Blanc is world famous.Huge number of wineries and some have fabulous restaurants.
Of course I am supporting my home province

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Not quite as motorhome friendly as Australia however. If you wildcamp do it out of sight of roads unless you like being woken by truckdriver's horns.

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
We hired a Motorhome for a month, and found the most valuable resource to be a free app called Campermate. it works off-line, and with an interactive map, you can read about, and look at, every free camping place (and there are thousands, it seems). I also bought a one month SIM for my iPad, connectivity is very good, even in the remoter places. We stayed just yards from the ocean's edge on many nights, and many other glorious spots. During that month we only stopped three nights in paid-for places, water and waste disposal is free and easy.

Others have listed all the places you should see/go to; I would add three of my own, namely Akaroa, the silver mining museum in Arrowtown, near Queenstown (QT, by the way, is the only place in NZ that doesn't want to make life easy for MH-ing), and the observatory at the top of Mount John.

I have to say it spoiled us for touring here in the Northern hemisphere, especially the UK.

You will enjoy it.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Never toured in a motorhome but toured twice with a hired motorbike . Is the most beautiful country I have ever visited . Thinking of going again early next year but perhaps a motorhome thus time so any info welcome as the hire costs seem astronomical !

Vouty

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
We hired a motorhome from Wilderness motorhomes and toured the south island in a couple of weeks (way too short). Had a fab time, our 'perfect day' was near lake wanaka, riding out on horseback into the mountains in the morning and then taking a helicopter flight round mount aspiring in the afternoon (gap in the weather) including a snow landing on one of the nearby peaks. As the locals say it was " AWESOME" :)

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We hired a motorhome from Wilderness motorhomes and toured the south island in a couple of weeks (way too short). Had a fab time, our 'perfect day' was near lake wanaka, riding out on horseback into the mountains in the morning and then taking a helicopter flight round mount aspiring in the afternoon (gap in the weather) including a snow landing on one of the nearby peaks. As the locals say it was " AWESOME" :)
Now that's awesome! I'm a private pilot so was hoping to do some flying around NZ so look forward to trying this!

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks everyone again! The sandflies certainly look like something to think about! I thought the Scottish midges a pest but these seem a scale worse!

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We used,
https://www.motorhomebookers.com/

Sept12-Nov12 2012 £3,365

So many variables but I think we got a very good deal,discount for long hire,no road user tax and no one way fee and with full insurance.
Britz,Maui and Kea all owned by the same company,the newer the van the more you pay!

Apr 19, 2014
CHESHIRE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
1 YEAR
If you have a 3 mobile phone contract it can be used in NZ as if you are at home.
Are favourite was booking a trip with the local postman at Akoroa we spent all day with him 150km and he provided lunch.
Cant wait to go back its brill

Vouty

Free Member
Oct 9, 2012
West midlands
Funster No
MH
hymer s630
Exp
New
These guys were great, maybe not the cheapest but I think they have the best choice of vans and super helpful - most are their own conversions, especially good for wild camping.

http://wilderness.co.nz

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I thank the OP for starting this thread as its made me think of doing this next year

Originally we were thinking of going to Australia but this looks much more inviting

When would be the best time to go weather wise etc

Thanks Rich

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Thanks Tony. You mention insect repellant, is there a time/place to avoid the nasty little beggars or is that just tough? Could we sort a route that puts us in the worst areas at the best time?
Hi,
The sand flies are only a significant problem on the West Coast and Fiorland - and even then usually at dusk. Citronella insect repellant keeps them at bay.
If you are coming in late spring through to autumn I would go north from Auckland, maybe up through the Hokianga (kauri country) and through to Kerikeri/Paihia/Waitangi/Russell. From there you could explore the coast to the north which has some attractive beaches. It is along way north to Cape Farewell. If you do this make sure you drive to 90 Mile Beach -accessible via a good gravelled road. You can drive along the beach - even in a M/H. There are giant natural sand slides there.
Coming back down you have a choice of routes. The east coast is drier and the middle/west coast are greener. I think Coromandel is over rated - hard to get to the water at times - half of NZ thinks differently. I would probably go via, Raglan (worth the detour - great surf), Waitomo (glow worm caves) Rotorua, Lake Taupo (biggest crater lake in the world), Wanganui, Wellington. If you have more time add a loop from Rotorua around Poverty Bay through to Gisborne/Napier and back to Taupo.
For the South Island I would turn right at Picton, go to Golden Bay (a bit of a detour) and then back to Motuaka and down the West Coast to Haast - through to Wanaka/Queenstown and on to Fiordland. Coming back I would backtrack to Queenstown and then up through the Lindis Pass (middle of the South Island past Mt Cook) to Christchurch. From Christchurch there are a number of day trips that are worthwhile (Akaroa, Kaikoura (whale watching) and Arthurs Pass).
Trade Me website is the best avenue to sell your Motorhome.
If you have specific interests I may be able to recommend some attractions.
Regards
tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back