anyone thinking about rehoming?? (1 Viewer)

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
We have decided with a lot of difficulty to rehome our doggie.....he is still a baby really at 11 months but we can't manage anymore. He's bossy and dominant and would be fine with just me and hubby but will not accept the kids - 12 & 17 - as being below him. They're scared of him as he is big & bouncy and basically needs more training. I had breast cancer in jan 09 and have to be very careful with my left arm as I have some lymphodema as the nodes were removed, and he is just too big and unmanageable for me. He's been to classes and did well and is very food orientated with abs no food aggression whatsoever. We originally wanted a small to medium dog, fairly docile, so that my son who was always scared of dogs would be ok, he got to love friends dogs when camping and I thought as you do, life's too short we'll get a dog......he wasn't meant to grow to be a whopper :RollEyes: I feel its all my bloomin' fault and if it ws just the two of us we could be consistent and he'd prob be better but we can't.......:Sad:
just wondered in case anyone was thinking of taking on a dog and would welcome a cannine challenge!! He's been neutered and didn't settle. I know a lot of it is his age ie adolescence and we do all the dominance things eg holding back thru gates & doors, feeding him last, son feeding him etc etc........

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Know how you must feel, but look at it this way better to let him go while he is still young, so his new home has a better chance with him. It can sometimes be difficult for new owners to change a behaviour pattern once it is too set.

Best of luck.

Dave .:thumb:

OP
OP
marymary

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
I know, I keep thinking we gave him a good start and he will be happier and hopefully have a bit more room to run too ......he's a bull lurcher with unknown dad.....:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
My wife is now telling me NO we cant have another! I took on 8 years ago a labx same problems, she is great and really well behaved and a wonderful dog.You dog looks lovely I do hope someone can give him a good home and train him as he needs someones time and if food is important should be easy to train

OP
OP
marymary

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
ahhhh thankyou, I really hope he can go to a home rather than a kennel situation, he is very sociable as pups are and just thinks he's the centre of the universe!! :RollEyes: I think a home with another dog would be ideal and then he could learn by example from the other pooch.....your young lady looks gorgeous!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Link Removed
Link Removed

She was a handfull and not trained at two years old when we got her she soon settled down:thumb:

OP
OP
marymary

marymary

Free Member
Mar 15, 2010
mid wales/shrops border
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Returning newbie..
well, hubby took him back to the rescue this sunday and it has broke my heart, I knew it would be hard but didn't think it would hurt so much, I really feel we've let him down.....whoever sees him now sees him warts and all and will know what they are taking on - ie a cannine challenge....I just hope and pray he gets a good home soon......

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

I know how hard it must have been, but think you have done the best by him.

When you have recovered why not take on a small dog, we have 2 Toy Poodles and they are great fun. They are rescued as have all our dogs been over the years.

Hope all goes well for you all.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
dog rehomed

dont feel too bad lots of nice people go to rescue places for there dogs am sure someone will take him and love him my daughter was in a similar situation a coupl;e of years ago :Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It was not a decision you took lightly and hopefully someone who has the time to train him and give him what he needs will come along you only have done what is best for your family, I know it hurts but hopefully he will have the future you want for him.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I know how you feel but i am sure he will end up with a good family like yourselves.

I had to rehome my Cocker this time last year (he was a rescue) because my mother who had been living with me had to go into a nursing home with severe dementia and as i am out all day it wasnt possible to keep him.

It broke my heart and still miss Dexter to this day but the people he went to are lovely and he has a great home by the sea now. In fact the new owners sent me a Christmas card with a picture of him and he looked just as happy as he was here so i know i did the right thing. I guess i was lucky that Cocker rescue rehome direct owner to owner

as you know these rehoming centres pick good homes like yours so he will go to a good home.

Take care
Gary

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back