Anyone recommend good free internet security pls?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ourcampersbeentrashed, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Our mcafee is about to expire and we have had great problems with it.

Anyone know of good internet security programs
    anti virus
    anti hacking etc

a good all rounder that doesnt cost or doesnt cost a fortune.

Our PC is old so we cant use norton and it always crashes with norton

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

3. roverman1

roverman1 Read Only Funster

anti virus

i use a programme called avast its free and its the best ive found . go to google and type in avast.down load it and register .

4. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Try Zone Alarm. I've used this now for about the past three or four years with no problems whatsoever. It does require a bit of learning and navigating around the programme once downloaded and you do have to be patient with it as it 'settles down'. Its certainly kept my pc virus free anyway!

You can get Zone Alarm here plus many other downloads.
    Downloads - freeware, shareware, software trials, evaluations - vnunet.com

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've used AVG anti-virus and Zone Alarm firewall for many years. Great thing about Zone Alarm is that it stops programs accessing the Internet & internal network without permission as well as blocking intrusion attempts.

Zone Alarm doesn't work with Vista but the Windows firewall in Vista ain't bad and we have a hardware firewall as well anyway.

We use Windows Defender to complement AVG as anti-spyware.

I've obtained copies of Norton on several occasions in the bundle when buying new PCs but have had all sorts of problems - so these days one of the first things I do with a new machine is to disable Norton (if there) at the same time as disabling Lookout Distress.

Graham

6. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

I've used AVG Free, Windows Defender and Zone Alarm for years now.

Put it on our Residential customers machines.

Use Kasperski Internet security now as , as a Barclays customer, you get a free 3 PC Licence full edition.Works very well.:thumb:

7. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

8. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

9. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

10. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Spybots good but "Teatimer" can swallow system resources on a low spec pc.:thumb:

It's normally well up there in the running processes list.

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

and if you only want the firewall for home use you can download it for free from Here.

Graham

12. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

Never bothered about such things until I started having problems on my laptop (Toshiba). Took advice and downloaded AVG which sorted everything out pronto. Good stuff I thought and decided to download it onto the desktop too(eMachines), which up to then had shown no signs of problems. Whereupon desktop promptly started running slow and locking up and generally acting distraught :cry:. Took AVG off again, downloaded Avast! instead which someone else recommended, more problems, wished I hadn't started messing, tried Avira which nobody had recommended but like the others it is free. Finally it's happy with Avira :BigGrin:. Don't know what the moral of this is except if your computer setup doesn't like one, try another (but make sure you completely uninstall one before downloading the next).

13. elliot

elliot Read Only Funster

Internet security FREE!! I wonder if that is what you get with these downloads or does your PC become just another server for them? At least with the high street brands you have the backup if your hard drive is destroyed. How can these free downloads keep up with all the activity concerning hard drive intrusions? They don’t have the resources.
    I would stay on the side of caution because they won’t tell you if THEY have corrupted your hard drive, in my experience you never get anything in this world unless you pay for it. Please just be careful

14. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

:thumb:we all so use avg never had any probs with it yet

15. elliot

elliot Read Only Funster

Unfortunately as I said these free downloads will not tell you if they are using your PC as a server. The activity is always low level. It is not always crash bang and hard drive dead. It is possible to pass all types of information onto other PCs via your mail list for instance. The speed of the machine is hardly affected until the activity is increased and you notice a slow down in performance then it’s too late. For me it’s not worth the risk and the hassle and passing on unwanted guests to other PCs.
    :Doh:

16. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

I recommend Panda anti virus, been using it for years and its very cheap right now at PC world the licence covers 3 pc's

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I've used AVAST for years. Free download and just register (free) for a years updates. Just re-register at the end of the year for another years updates. It is compatible with the free Zone alarm firewall. There is a free spyware plug-in from Yahoo which seems pretty good too.:Cool:

18. mattsims

mattsims Deleted User

AVG Free edition does the job. The paid version is better - has more updates.
    Trend software is highly recommended by my IT manager - we use it in our business. Its pretty unknown but is brilliant! I use Trend on my work laptop and AVG at home - Im stingy you see!

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It does pay to be choosy but the likes of Zone Alarm and AVG are well tested and researched by many PC magazines and wouldn't be recommended by respected writers and supplied on cover CDs if they posed a danger.
    The free versions are marketing tools akin to loss leaders in supermarkets - the companies hope that enough users will be sufficiently impressed to spend money on the full versions and/or other of the companies' products.

Graham

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

After working for over 30 years in ICT the one security measure I do insist on is No Internet Banking :Eeek:

Graham