Anyone recommend a decent alarm system? (1 Viewer)

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I'm looking for an effective alarm system which is a good balance of quality v price? I've see some of the inexpensive PIRs but they seem to have sone limitations in terms of such things as battery life/ effective distance for remote etc'
Cheers
David

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is only one serious contender, IMHO,, " strikebak" from vanbitz :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Fit the best, fit a Strikeback system from VanBitz. Not too far away from you as they are based at Taunton.

Brisey.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
And you get a free cup of chocolate drink, make sure old tight wad gives you the decent stuff and you can camp for free on his campsite as well:thumb:

Link Removed

Peter

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sounds like he has small budget and I don't think Strikeback is it:Doh: of course I may be talking Bo££ocks:winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Contact a local car alarm place, some of them now do motorhome alarms too at a much cheaper cost than a MH specific supplier.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Contact a local car alarm place, some of them now do motorhome alarms too at a much cheaper cost than a MH specific supplier.

this is very true IF you dont want it thatcham approved for your insurance.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Another vote for the EVB Strikeback system, easy to use and goes bazerk should anyone so much as try to open a garage or gas box door - let alone a hab door. It can be set also for alarmed but internals off.

Great system, great backup and great funster.:thumb:

Can highly recommend the site too - went there for a long weekend last week:thumb: (didn't get a coffee though). :Eeek:

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Can highly recommend the site too - went there for a long weekend last week:thumb: (didn't get a coffee though). :Eeek:
Regards,

Dont think Titewads there at weekends and doubt if the wardens have a choccie machine:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
:Sad:I couldn't go to Vanblitz, they were too far away from me. :Sad:

I had a bit of a battle to get budget approval for spending yet another 500 quid on top of the price of the 'van, so I thought long and hard about even having an alarm. Never had a prob with the previous MH without one!

In the end, it came down to how I'd feel if I bought a cheapy alarm which thieves compromised and I lost my wheeled investment for ever. Spread over time, the financial outlay is worth it. However, there are some companies that charge a lot more, so do a bit of homework and comparisons.

My 500 quid bought me a Thatcham 1 alarm system with remote control added to my normal vehicle key fob. Ultrasonic sensors to protect the cab, contacts on the under-bed locker and hab' door and a separate PIR in the habitation area. I had the extra PIR fitted because the 'reach' into the rear hab area was beyond the scope of the cab ultrasonics. AND because I draw the dividing curtains when leaving the 'van unattended, the ultrasonic sensors in the cab are rendered completely ineffective. This meant that an intruder could enter the vehicle via a window or fanlight undetected! (I can disable the internal PIR at bedtime or when I wish to just have the perimeter alarmed).

All of this gives me the peace of mind that I wouldn't get with a cheap system.

Finally, I was surprised at the meagre discounts offered by insurers now with Thatcham Cat 1 alarms, despite what they say in adverts.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Another vote for the EVB Strikeback system, easy to use and goes bazerk should anyone so much as try to open a garage or gas box door - let alone a hab door. It can be set also for alarmed but internals off.

Great system, great backup and great funster.:thumb:

Regards,

I was busy working at the Westpoint show:winky: I'd of made you a choccy there :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've got a Sigma 34 system........it was already on the Dakota when we bought it last year. Helped us get to a decent discount on the insurance as well.

After initial "teething trouble" with it going off on a site (our fault, not the alarm's):Doh: we're on top of it now. Thanks to another funster (Nigel) for his help with this last year.:thumb:

Bill

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm looking for an effective alarm system which is a good balance of quality v price? I've see some of the inexpensive PIRs but they seem to have sone limitations in terms of such things as battery life/ effective distance for remote etc'
Cheers
David

Personally I rather spend the big bucks on a quality tracker, fuel shut off valve, mid priced alarm because my van is old but no wrinkles and no Hab' door central locking..oh dear I've told everyone better spend another £150 on Hab door kit:Smile:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our last two motorhomes we had the Vanbitz Strikeback alarm, its a case of you get what you pay for, having had a Sigma alarm that kept going off, we are more than happy with the strikeback and don't forget Eddie not only gives a funster discount, but also a free nights camping at Cornish Farm. :thumb:

:Smile: Bob and Jane.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally I rather spend the big bucks on a quality tracker, fuel shut off valve, mid priced alarm because my van is old but no wrinkles and no Hab' door central locking..oh dear I've told everyone better spend another £150 on Hab door kit:Smile:

Over 70% of recorded theft, recorded on all vehicles is theft FROM the vehicle not theft OF the vehicle.

In addition motorhomes don't tend to be stolen for secondary crime purposes, such as to fund additional crime (drugs for example) getaway vehicles, ram raiding or joy riding.

Just a though to balance the argument of alarm systems v trackers.

A blanket approach cannot be applied. An expensive luxury supercar for example needs tracking, and is unlikely to need a sophisticated alarm.

Each situation needs individual consideration, we believe.

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Alarm

After reading this post I have just been onto Vanbitz, and arranged for a strikeback alarm to be fitted, Eddie and his crew are having the van soon to do a lot of things to it, and to be honest I dont trust my van to just anyone.
They are motorhomers and understand the way we think and treat our vehicles, they are personal to each of us, part of our extended home ::bigsmile:

Will report back once we have had the work done :thumb:

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thanks for all the information! The strike back does seem a very comprehensive system, but is a limitless pricey for a poor old retired person like myself!!
Maybe I should be looking at basic security such as habitation door security locks and cab door security locks?
Cheers
David

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Thanks for all the information! The strike back does seem a very comprehensive system, but is a limitless pricey for a poor old retired person like myself!!
Maybe I should be looking at basic security such as habitation door security locks and cab door security locks?
Cheers
David

Had a Cobra alarm fitted 2 years ago, Thatcham with central locking for cab off a fob, no problems £300

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Had a Cobra alarm fitted 2 years ago, Thatcham with central locking for cab off a fob, no problems £300

+1

I had a Strikebak on the old m/h but when we got a new one it was going to be to much hassle to drive to Devon to get one fitted so had a local firm fit a Cobra one - so far, so good! :Smile: we paid over £400 as we had some extra sensors fitted to the garage area (doors either side)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Another vote for the Strikeback from Vanbitz.

We had one fitted on the old van and whilst I didn't understand it, it worked :thumb:

Lovely site too and a few decent pubs in Taunton to pass the time away whilst it's fitted.

Our current van came with one fitted by Johns Cross, and I don't understand that either but it works well too:thumb:

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012
It would seem that Strikeback from Vanbitz is the alarm to go for, but how do i get from the midlands to have it fitted before i get insurance for a new van . When my insurance company stipulate an alarm must be fitted to get insurance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
It would seem that Strikeback from Vanbitz is the alarm to go for, but how do i get from the midlands to have it fitted before i get insurance for a new van . When my insurance company stipulate an alarm must be fitted to get insurance.
Most insurers will give you 28 days period of grace to allow you to get a security system fitted

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012
Thanks Eddie for you reply I am expecting my new motorhome April 15 will be in touch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back