Anyone on here a Plumber?

Discussion in 'Heating and Air-Conditioning' started by slickmouse, Jul 12, 2009.

1. slickmouse

slickmouse Read Only Funster

Getting ready to plumb in my shower in the motorhome and want to use Speedfit pipe and fittings.

Had a look on their website but it doesnt make it clear so...

What pipe do i use? I'm also using a shower pump, I want to use the pipe for both hot and cold water, can you recommend?

2. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

It's an odd size 1/2" or 12mm can't remember which and is a nylon type material , I got my pipe and fittings from a local caravan dealer. I have seen a thread on here where the poster says it is the same as HGV airline pipe.:thumb:

Hope this helps

3. don

don Read Only Funster

I retiered 8 years ago, but here goes, Speedfit is I believe standard 15 m and will fit normal 15m plastic plumbing pipe. My major concern is the use of a pump in the shower in a M/H.
    This would pump out masses more water than is needed to have a decant shower and would need a huge amount of hot water to feed it, Many times after people fitted pumps to their shower we then had to go in and fit larger hot water cylinders as they were running out of hot water, just a thought.
    Cheers
    Don

4. slickmouse

Hi

Yes the size i want to fit is 15mm, I was thinking of putting in a "holding tank" and the pump would then pump water from that, so you power up the hot water about 5 - 10 mins before you want to go and it would pump hot water into the tank and then you would go for your shower! :Eeek:

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a shower Jim, but not as we know it.

Turns green with envy, being used to a quick squirt all the time thinking of the cold tank emptying and the grey waste tank filling.

6. olley

olley Funster

Hi use speedfits own pipe or Hep2o both will take hot or cold water, B&Q flog speedfit I believe. As for using a power shower pump in a motorhome, not a good idea IMHO as it will drain your tank quick as a flash.

If you are going ahead with the pump consider using 10mm pipe rather than 15mm, its easier to bend and cheaper. :BigGrin:

Olley

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  7. slickmouse

Thanks to all who replied, I'm documenting this and will post it on here when finished should be about quarter past Two on the 15th of never:Doh:

8. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Just curious - how do you have a shower in an RV without using an electric pump?.

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi tony have a shallow but large tank on your roof fill it somehow have a take off n pipe it to shower . becarefull they get really hot sometimes . another way is use a pump up weedkiller type bottle with a shower adapter. reimo or some one sold them with a bag you stood in. people used them in houses or flats the bottom of bag was like a bowl.

10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

think he's refering to a high pressure power shower pump as in your house bathroom shower. think mine runs at 3bar (42psi) full on and it hurts like hell. just like having a full body tattoo in 5 mins:BigGrin:

will empty your average 10/15 ltr motorhome boiler in less than one minute.....not much of a shower!

11. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

tell us more about this shower pump, do you mean a domestic type power shower pump??

if so then you must have a good sized water tank??

we have a european motorhome and have 140 litres of fresh water, from the tanks a whale variable speed pump provides the water to the outlets at about 20psi running pressure, and 8 litres a minute, it sucks the water through one of those whole house filters, the big foot long things.

from the pump it splits and goes to the 20 litre calorifier (think of it as a small house style hot water cylinder, but it's heated either via a main element, the engine or the eberspacher's hot water)
    the hot and cold feeds go to the taps, toilet flush, shower, washing machine's thermostatic mixer (i dont use the machines internal heater, so feed it warm water) and the outside water point (handy for washing shoes when other people don clear up after their dog)

the calorifier heats the water upto 80 degrees C on either of the 3 heat sources, the take off has a thermostatic mixer, but i keep that set at about 65... only adults use the van so we all know to expect scalding water from the hot tap, and to mix it apropriately.. all taps are mixers.

this means when using the shower we are using more cold than hot, the shower valve is a single lever type, and to get a nice warm shower we have the valve halfway over to the cold side of centre, i.e. 25% hot 75% cold.

whilst we dont stand under the shower for ages like we do at home, we dont always do the 'water on, wet, water off, soap off, water on rinse, water off job done' shower style, we've never ran out of hot water yet, we always have a shower one after the other, and when camping (which we hardly ever use shore power) we run the eberspacher for 30 minutes a day, that keeps the calorifier plenty hot enough for us,

the shower head is a low pressure one, and the resulting shower spray is just right we rekon, it's better than the electric shower pressures we were used to.

anyhoo, if we were to stand under the shower like at home, we'd last 17 minutes before the tank ran dry, hence we shower differently in the van to at home,

we dont have a water tank gauge in the van, because we know we can last a week on a fill,

12. Tony Lee

Tony Lee Read Only Funster

Thanks. I can see why motorhoming in winter is not too popular. Missus gets sick of climbing on to the roof with a kettle of hot water to thaw the tank.

Both here in Oz and in Europe we have a truma gas water heater, a pump and a normal mixer tap for the shower. I can have a perfectly nice hot shower for at least 12 minutes before the water runs cold. 15L of water at 70ºC mixed with cold water at 20º makes at least 30 litres of very hot water for a shower. Use a sensible water-saver shower head and the water use is not that great.

13. don

don Read Only Funster

I would say that the bigest advantage of a power shower is the manufacturers cash flow,
    just think pos, 80% of the water goes straight down the drain.
    Cheers Don

14. tink

tink Read Only Funster

Slickmouse tried answering you post but couldn't get past your Avatar:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

15. slickmouse

I know it takes a while for my eyes to adjust to them :thumb:

Spoke to sppedfit today and they said that any of their pipes (they do Two) will do,

So will be going to screwfix tomorrow as they do 30m x 15mm for just under £30

I'm emailing CAK Tanks about a waste tank and looking for my holding tank too

Thanks to all who reply

16. slickmouse

Found this