Anyone On 5-2 Diet ?

Discussion in 'Funsters on a diet' started by Cobweb, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

Hi . Got on the scales after our 2 month trip cycling in France and Germany and ......eeeek I have put on weight ! It must be our passion for trying out local cheeses and pigging out on croissants and heavenly pastries in France . Even cycling almost every day has not kept the weight off . In fact it makes you ravenous ! I have never managed to cycle past a patisserie or konditorei without stopping .
    Any good 5-2 recepies out there ? I am on my second fasting day .

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

No fad diets..just cut the carbs, can still eat well and fill yourself up and weight will fall off

• Like Like x 4
  3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Look in Groups.

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I lost weight on the 5:2 diet but it didn't stay off as I couldn't be bothered to keep up the diet afterwards - too much effort having to go shopping for little bits of salmon etc. And like you I've never lost weight cycling!

My wife however, lost a lot of weight (should I say that?) by reducing carbs (as recommended above). It does mean having fry ups for breakfast but once you get into it you won't miss bread and potatoes. It does unfortunately also mean giving up or at least drastically reducing the booze intake, but if you can stick at it you will lose weight and a low carb diet isn't too difficult to follow afterwards.

An alternative diet is the one where you fast for 5 consecutive days a month. It has big claims but I think it is early days for this one yet but it certainly looks interesting. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...ws-down-ageing-and-may-add-years-to-life.html

5. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Been on 5:2 diet for over 2 years, lost around 40lb's, don't count calories too accurately but salads,small portions beans on toast, omelettes, mushrooms and eat sensibly on non fast days. Alcohol makes a tremendous difference, last weekend I was out in Manchester centre and imbibed a little;) and had some nice Chinese food, Monday morning weigh in up 7lb !! Mostly gone now though, I think the alcohol enables fluid retention which is gradually released. Crisps a big no no!!

I do think that in my case I will need to stay on some form of this diet to maintain a steady weight:(, think I can live with it though:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

As Hilldweller said have a look under groups a lot of Funsters have done really well on the 5/2 I have been doing it for over 12 months and it just becomes second nature, best diet I have ever done for getting weight of and keeping it off, on your 5/2 days just have smaller portions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Short term and 'fad' diets don't work, or at least in the long term
    It's what you do every day that affects your weight in the long term
    Eat a little more healthily every day - do a bit more exercise every day and you will be living a healthier lifestyle

• Like Like x 1
  8. buttons

buttons Funster

Lost a stone before an all inclusive holiday recently, returned last week. eat and drank for England while away put on just 3lb. Already lost that and more. Incentive is what you need to loose weight. We are away again in a few weeks then again a few weeks after that. If you want to loose weight then incentive will work wonders.:BigGrin:

9. Cobweb

Cobweb

The 5-2 does work for me because I am always looking forward to my feast days . I find that after the fast day I do not eat anywhere nearly as much as I thought I would . At the moment I am having M&S as well as Sainsburys low calorie meals on fast days because I know exact calorie content . I find counting calories when cooking from scratch diffcult especially when we are travelling in the MH .Any fast day recepies would be welcome . The last time I did this diet was 2 years ago but the weight has gradually crept up again . Maybe this time I will have one fast day a week to maintain my weight when we are on our travels .

10. Debs

Debs Funster

As already said, look under the 'group discussions' lots of info & advice. I've been on the 5:2 since the start of the year and have lost 2 stones and although I'm not strictly following it at the moment for various reasons I find I'm not wanting the huge portions that I used to eat. Agree with the comments about alcohol though....so I do try to avoid it where I can:)

11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

I wouldn't call 2 and a half years short term, the weight comes off slowly, in my case about 1 lb a week to begin with, a bit slower at the moment but I would agree that watching what you eat the rest of the time is also important.

The thing about the 5;2 regime, not really a diet, is that when you do have a binge and some weight goes back on then it is relatively easy to lose the weight again.

Another important point, in my case anyway, is that most of the weight has been lost from around the internal organs and the waist which is the important according to the Doc's.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I don't want to get into an argument with you but not eating for two days does not seem a healthy way to give your body all the the nutrition it needs
    It's what you feed yourself every day that counts
    Mr Atkins had s very popular diet until he died suddenly
    I'm sure you and others can quote examples of a few people who have managed to lose weight on fad diets - but look what happens to the majority of dieters a few months/years after they go back to eating 'normally'

13. yellabelly

yellabelly

Really don't thinkk this is a fad diet
    Mrs B and i have been "doing it" for about18 months with good results: my interest more the sugar and cholesterol benefits as I'm ok for my BMI.
    We have the Michael Mosely book which has provided enough recipes for us;
    regards
    alan b

• Like Like x 3
  14. matamoros

matamoros Funster

I wouldn't call it a fad diet,and it is not necessary to not eat on diet days. I diet Mondays &Thursdays which entails a rough limit of 600 calories. A typical diet day would consist of porridge,soup or small salad for lunch and a small portion of beans on toast or scrambled eggs usually with some mushrooms as they contain virtually no calories.

This regime accompanied with being a little more careful what I eat has enabled me to drop from nearly 17st to around 14 in 2 & half years without a great deal of effort or discomfort and still aim to lose a little more.

I eat a fairly balanced diet and get some exercise, mainly cycling as because of hip problems walking much more than 2 or 3 miles becomes uncomfortable.

I expect to maintain this regime long term, it is not a short term strategy, considering that I have been overweight since my early 20's, 45 years, I would consider this a very satisfactory result.

There is no way that I could stick to a restrictive diet every day, it has never worked for me, this diet has and would recommend it to anyone that wants to lose weight slowly and maintain that loss with a little care.

I can see no reason whatsoever to consider this a fad diet, for me it has become part of my life, it works and see nothing to criticise.

• Like Like x 7
  15. busby

busby Funster

Have you got an electric bike ? BUSBY:LOL::LOL:

16. busby

busby Funster

Fully agree,,,very easy diet to follow.I have lost nearly 2 and a half stone in six months. I feel 10 years younger,,can cycle and walk miles with no effort now. 70 next week and slimmer than i was thirty years ago. We actually enjoy the so called fasting days.BUSBY:):):)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

I have lost 5 1/2 stone and my daughter 3 stone we are much healthier I am no longer classed as pre diabetic plus recently the doctor agreed for me to stop one of my blood preasure tabs and will review me in a few months for me to stop the last blood pressure tablet. The diabetic nurses where very happy for me to do the 5 2 :) Katex

• Like Like x 9
  18. Cobweb

Cobweb

Yes ....I love it . In a recent episode of "Trust me I am a doctor " Michael Mosley said that you cannot loose weight by exercise alone . That seems to have been the case on my Cycling trip since I have to admit to pigging out on various french goodies. I am on my 4th fast day to day and so far have lost 4 lb.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I remember seeing on BBC breakfast awhile ago they had this woman expert on, which I'm sure it was Dr Krista Varady (herself) anyway what she was saying was the 5-2 diet information was taken from this original study called "the every other day diet" so your doing the same as the 5-2 but every other day as she said that it wasn't sustainable feasting for 5, fasting for 2, where as the original study was done every other day and this was supposedly better for your body and that once you got down to your ideal weight then the calories would be increased to a 1000 or so! And then it was a way of life, I'm sure there was a book, and yes here it is: ;) http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Every-Other-Day-Diet/dp/1444780123

My own personal preference is to try and just cut down on the sugar, be careful of portion size and no eating after 7pm :)

20. Cobweb

Cobweb

Interesting . At the moment I am in fact doing 4-3 which is about as much I can do without cracking up .