Anyone off to Motorcycle Live 2015 at the NEC this year? (2 Viewers)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Probably go if nothing else clashes not a huge fan but need a few bits for the new bike.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect we will go one of the weekend days, I'm toying with the idea of a new toy, but that may happen before the show...

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I suspect we will go one of the weekend days, I'm toying with the idea of a new toy, but that may happen before the show...

What dyou fancy ?
Done nearly 5000 and 6 countries on the S1XR and love it massive grin every time I ride it. Hoping to get to Valencia for Motogp on it in November as well.
Not perfect but I'm loving it especially after 5/6 years on a boring old GS. Good tool for a job but bloody boring as hell to ride.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
What dyou fancy ?
Done nearly 5000 and 6 countries on the S1XR and love it massive grin every time I ride it. Hoping to get to Valencia for Motogp on it in November as well.
Not perfect but I'm loving it especially after 5/6 years on a boring old GS. Good tool for a job but bloody boring as hell to ride.
Similar but different territory to you, I find myself being slightly seduced by the KTM 1290 SA, I'm all about the V-twin torque...

Out of curiosity, are you finding any bar vibe issues on the S1XR?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been a twin fan all my life but am enjoying a screaming 4cyl again.
The bar vibes is blown all out of proportion by a few whingers who wanted a GS with performance. Well it ain't no GS, might have slightly similar riding position to a GS but thats it its a full on sports bike for folks who can't bend into sports bikes anymore.
Bar vibes were noticeable at 5000 rpm but virtually gone now or Im used to them not that they were ever that bad. In fact I never really noticeed them until I started reading the rubbish on forums then started looking for them.
Have you considered the new Multistrada I had one for half a day thought it was superb. If the S1XR hadn't been released I'd probably own one now.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Come on Rory we know the XR behaved brilliantly over the 2000 plus miles to Garda, but admit if we had done a little more of the 'loose stuff' around the Dolomites, you may have missed the old GS a just a tiny bit.

However if the XR had pillion seat slightly bigger than a 'f***y pad I'd be very tempted. Do you think that's what edgy will end up with.

Hope Croatia weather is better than here.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Rich hope you're well.
Hey your right S1XR not a dirt bike by any stretch of imagination. Not knocking the GS as you know I rode mine around the world literally and its the best bike I ever owned.
However it never excited me like this bike does and I never loved it it was just a tool. This thing gives me a massive buzz I find myself sat in the shed with a coffee just looking at it.
Sad eh!!.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Not at all, just a shame it won't quite fit in the back if your van.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Been a twin fan all my life but am enjoying a screaming 4cyl again.
The bar vibes is blown all out of proportion by a few whingers who wanted a GS with performance. Well it ain't no GS, might have slightly similar riding position to a GS but thats it its a full on sports bike for folks who can't bend into sports bikes anymore.
Bar vibes were noticeable at 5000 rpm but virtually gone now or Im used to them not that they were ever that bad. In fact I never really noticeed them until I started reading the rubbish on forums then started looking for them.
Have you considered the new Multistrada I had one for half a day thought it was superb. If the S1XR hadn't been released I'd probably own one now.
I use a bike daily for commuting, year round, so high mileage, hence the notion of that being Italian based fills me with dread. Plus I kinda like the Orange side! :)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a couple of questions.

I might visit the NEC show as it is only 30 miles away.

Is it a good place to try bikes for 'size'?

Never been into biking but on a whim bought a Piaggio MP3 scooter 3 years ago. Scarey at first but have loved it, use it at home and trailer it behind MH. Still only done about 7000 miles though. I was lucky enough to buy some brackets which meant I could add pegs which gives me quite a bit more leg room.

Have considered taking M/Cycle licence a number of times but always talked myself out of it. Partly because whenever I have sat on a m/cycle (not that often), they have always felt too small. I am 6ft 5in with long legs, on my scooter using the pegs is OK, but not sure I would want to more than about 50 miles on it. At least on it I don't have to worry about changing gear as well.

So the main question is what touring type m/cycle is likely to give me sufficient leg room to be able to ride and change gear comfortably?

I know that taking my license would make be a better rider even if I stayed with the scooter, but the cost which is about £1000 is probably only worth spending if I was going to get a bike.

Not even sure if I would fit on the bikes to be able to take the test.

Steve

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Most bike manufacturers will have stands at the NEC show with the majority of their model line up for the next year on show. You can sit on most of the bikes to try for size and see what may fit your dimensions, so definitely worth going if you are contemplating a touring bike in the future.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Might go as picking up new Suzuki GSX650F at end of month. I know it's not a fireblade but it will B Ok for me and my bad wrists.

steve & ann. ............. teensvan

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
:( Oh well, what a shame. I was going to offer a couple of free tickets.

KH
Hi, I would appreciate those as thinking of changing my 3 for a s1000r, do they let motorhomes park overnight? steve.
DSCF2658 (2).JPG

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Well Italy is >_< close to Austria.

Watch these entertaining vids, see which bikes break down....

Great vids, well the 2 and a bit I've watched so far...

It's not so much the Italian reliability which would concern me, these days it's more their ability not to disintegrate over a couple of Britsh winters use, coupled with servicing costs (my last Ducati was a 999) for high mileage use.

From my experience, the 3 KTMs I've had over last few years have been more reliable than the 2 German tractors which preceded them.

I believe Austria is also close to Germany (as well as Italy), a bit like Japan being close to China? :whistle:;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From my experience, the 3 KTMs I've had over last few years have been more reliable than the 2 German tractors which preceded them.

If I were in your position I'd be looking for the simplest bike, they are all getting so complicated now. But if you don't keep them that long it probably does not matter.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I tend to change circa every 2 years, which puts me at about circa 20k miles. It's at this point I think I either have to keep and run into ground or trade for residual value (average mileage by the book being 3k per year).

As you say, most of the current bikes are so dependent on electrickery and gadgets, and are therefore complex. If I were looking for something to take on a long distance trip across less developed countries, it would definitely be less is more on that front.

But I do like a new toy!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just finished episodes 5 & 6 of that MAD tv Hay River series, that was a great find, thanks for sharing. Regardless of the after market Rally Raid attention, I'm impressed how well that little Honda CB went in the outback.

I quite like the look of the new Africa Twin, but as my riding is now all on road, with my being, ahem, a reasonably sized unit, not sure the parallel twin will have enough horses (my old KTM 990A had more) or character to keep me entertained.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back