Anyone nearby willing to meet to give advice? (2 Viewers)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have really bitten the bullet and bought an autotrail chieftan. Our dream is to travel next year for 12 months, but now we are thinking what have we done? How will we handle this beast and are we totally mad? If anyone lives near Holmfirth in West Yorkshire who wouldn't mind meeting us (you to us, or us to you, whichever is best) we would be very grateful. We really need to meet seasoned, experienced motorhomes to help and advice. Any one please?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
the advice about the driving course is a good one.once you have a bit of practice you will wonder what you worried about.but good luck to you.hope we see you at a meet sometime.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This was my first big motorhome and had no previous experience of anything this size.... it was a steep learning curve..

We used a mix of Commercial sites, Club Sites, CLs, and French Aires .. For something this big it is best to do some research and call up before arriving on their doorsteps..

Aires we would just turn up and hope for the best.. many were too small.. but we always found one eventually. We would also befriend others we met and ask if they new of any good places..

I wouldn't worry, your motorhome should not have any size issues.. under 28ft is not generally a problem..

Someone once told me that motorhomes shrink.. I had no idea what they meant.. but they DO .. ours seemed massive when we set out .. after 6 months it felt like a shoe box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
This was my first big motorhome and had no previous experience of anything this size.... it was a steep learning curve..

We used a mix of Commercial sites, Club Sites, CLs, and French Aires .. For something this big it is best to do some research and call up before arriving on their doorsteps..

Aires we would just turn up and hope for the best.. many were too small.. but we always found one eventually. We would also befriend others we met and ask if they new of any good places..

I wouldn't worry, your motorhome should not have any size issues.. under 28ft is not generally a problem..

Someone once told me that motorhomes shrink.. I had no idea what they meant.. but they DO .. ours seemed massive when we set out .. after 6 months it felt like a shoe box.
It's 28 feet 7 inches! ....so size may be a problem ( I am definitely a glass half empty person....I need some funster injections!)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's 28 feet 7 inches! ....so size may be a problem ( I am definitely a glass half empty person....I need some funster injections!)

what's 7 inches between friends.. :)

no problems.. stop worrying

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have one of these:
image.jpg

It's 30 ft and a couple of inches long and GWEN DOES ALL THE DRIVING! I am partially sighted and unable to drive so she has to do it all. It's our third MH but the longest by far. After a couple of nervous days she now flings it around corners and manoeuvres it through narrow streets with total confidence.
For reversing I get out and we use a couple of small walkie talkie radios rather than relying on shouting and hand signals. It avoids those problems of " I can't hear you!" And "I can't see you!"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
We have one of these:View attachment 41996
It's 30 ft and a couple of inches long and GWEN DOES ALL THE DRIVING! I am partially sighted and unable to drive so she has to do it all. It's our third MH but the longest by far. After a couple of nervous days she now flings it around corners and manoeuvres it through narrow streets with total confidence.
For reversing I get out and we use a couple of small walkie talkie radios rather than relying on shouting and hand signals. It avoids those problems of " I can't hear you!" And "I can't see you!"
That makes me feel so much better, and what a great idea about the walk is talkies. Have you been abroad? And any problems getting pitches?

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Stop worrying just get out there with it and enjoy, best thing you will ever have done buying your mh, if you are not confident to drive it then just go on a coarse simples then you will never look back, mine is an 8.2 mtr long mh and drives lovely. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi sue,we owned an autotrail chieftain for 3yrs,great van and at 28ft with tag axle very stable and easy to manouver.you will love it.good luck with the fulltiming.
regards brian and jo

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We have really bitten the bullet and bought an autotrail chieftan. Our dream is to travel next year for 12 months, but now we are thinking what have we done? How will we handle this beast and are we totally mad? If anyone lives near Holmfirth in West Yorkshire who wouldn't mind meeting us (you to us, or us to you, whichever is best) we would be very grateful. We really need to meet seasoned, experienced motorhomes to help and advice. Any one please?
Are you able to get to the NEC show next month. Lots of advice and seasoned motorhomers will be there, including me, and I'm more than happy to fill you with confidence on what's more than likely an excellent buy :)

The caravan club runs a campsite (no membership required), plus EHU and a marquee for entertainments etc. come in the motorhome and park up and enjoy it all :)

I'm sure it'll soon be like driving your car as they're really easy to handle and bring so much into your lives :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
hi sue,we owned an autotrail chieftain for 3yrs,great van and at 28ft with tag axle very stable and easy to manouver.you will love it.good luck with the fulltiming.
regards brian and jo
Thanks for this, and good to hear that the chieftan is a great vehicle. We loved its layout and to a pair of novices it seemed roomy with good storage.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Are you able to get to the NEC show next month. Lots of advice and seasoned motorhomers will be there, including me, and I'm more than happy to fill you with confidence on what's more than likely an excellent buy :)

The caravan club runs a campsite (no membership required), plus EHU and a marquee for entertainments etc. come in the motorhome and park up and enjoy it all :)

I'm sure it'll soon be like driving your car as they're really easy to handle and bring so much into your lives :)
We are going to the motorhome show but only for the day and not in the vehicle. Hope we get to meet

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Stop worrying just get out there with it and enjoy, best thing you will ever have done buying your mh, if you are not confident to drive it then just go on a coarse simples then you will never look back, mine is an 8.2 mtr long mh and drives lovely. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
Thanks for the advice...seems like it may have been a good buy after all.

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
That makes me feel so much better, and what a great idea about the walk is talkies. Have you been abroad? And any problems getting pitches?
France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Spain Portugal And Morocco.
Not had a problem getting pitches yet because of the size of the van, only when no spaces available. When we arrive at a site or an aire I usually have a walk around to find the best place to park and the best way in and to avoid unnecessary reversing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
France, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Spain Portugal And Morocco.
Not had a problem getting pitches yet because of the size of the van, only when no spaces available. When we arrive at a site or an aire I usually have a walk around to find the best place to park and the best way in and to avoid unnecessary reversing.
Sounds like you really enjoy your motor...you make me want to go now!

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My biggest worry is that we have bought a motorhome that is too big...it is stored away now till next April, so,can't go to any of the shows to stay.
If you've just bought it but are storing it until April isn't that a large chunk of the warranty period gone without you even using it? :Eeek:

I went overnight from driving a Honda Jazz to driving an 8m+ tag axle. You get used to it very quickly if you have to - most of it's just a matter of confidence. Get out there with it! :Smile:

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We are going to the motorhome show but only for the day and not in the vehicle. Hope we get to meet
You'll find me drooling in the Autotrail Comanche as it's my dream next motorhome at the moment :)

I'll look pretty stupid asking everyone if they're Funster Sue, but you never know, I may get a few hugs in the process :blusher:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
If you've just bought it but are storing it until April isn't that a large chunk of the warranty period gone without you even using it? :Eeek:

I went overnight from driving a Honda Jazz to driving an 8m+ tag axle. You get used to it very quickly if you have to - most of it's just a matter of confidence. Get out there with it! :Smile:
Yes, it is all about confidence...hubby feels OK about it,but I am terrified. (Warranty starts from when we pick it up, so not missing out on that one)

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I also have an Autotrail Savannah, bought a year ago and on the test drive it did seem big but you very quickly get used to it. I have since fitted some rear parking sensors so that when the bikes are on the bike rack, obliterating the camera view, I have an audible guide when reversing and it gives me a metre at the back before the sound becomes continuous which is enough for the extended bike rack. The kit only cost me £30 at Newbury show.

Been away for a load of weekends, 4 weeks abroad this summer and one week at home and done over 4,000 miles in the last year.

Get out and use it, you will have a great time.

Do get it on a weigh bridge when its full of all your gear, fuel, gas and water - we found ours to be easy to overload and have upgraded to 4500kgs.

Upvote 0

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Hi Sue, we changed our 7.5meter mh for a cheiftain in june and spent whole of august touring through Belgium,Austria, & France, when we found a pitch we do as the germans do, walk on to the pitch, if it is not suitable walk away. The only problem we found was the grass pitches,, very soft after all the rain.
we tried to do as little moving around on grass as possible and made sure i had an easy run off.
Also, a few sites don't like tag axles, it chews up the grass,but if they don't want my money somewhere else will.
And you'll easy fit on most aires.
Beautiful m/h the cheiftain, glides gracefully on the motorways,, a real joy to drive,,, Dont worry you'll love it.
mind,,i have driven arctic trucks for the best part of 30 years.

Upvote 0

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hello! We're just down the road from you for the next 4 weeks. We're at Windy Harbour Caravan Site in Glossop. So if you fancy coming over Holme Moss and having a natter let us know! We've got quite a lot to do before we head off to Spain for the winter so best if you let us know when you're coming! PM me! ;)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have a large van and its never been a problem. We use ours as much as we can. There are loads of great places to visit that are quite local for your first few trips. We live in north Leeds so not too far from you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Hello! We're just down the road from you for the next 4 weeks. We're at Windy Harbour Caravan Site in Glossop. So if you fancy coming over Holme Moss and having a natter let us know! We've got quite a lot to do before we head off to Spain for the winter so best if you let us know when you're coming! PM me! ;)
That sounds great, I will definitely come to meet you . Being new to the site I don't know how to PM. Let me know what to do and I will do it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back