Anyone nearby willing to meet to give advice?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Sue, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Sue

Sue Funster

We have really bitten the bullet and bought an autotrail chieftan. Our dream is to travel next year for 12 months, but now we are thinking what have we done? How will we handle this beast and are we totally mad? If anyone lives near Holmfirth in West Yorkshire who wouldn't mind meeting us (you to us, or us to you, whichever is best) we would be very grateful. We really need to meet seasoned, experienced motorhomes to help and advice. Any one please?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Debs

Debs Funster

Not got a mh (yet lol) but as a starter for 10 in the mean time have you seen ourtour.co.uk?

They travelled for 18mths full time, lots of hints and lists and info.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Sue you may be better going to the Lincoln show-there will be around 150 funsters there and I am sure there will be a few that do long stays /full timers that love to talk/discuss what you have to do -It may also be better to ask specific questions on the forum-that way you will have a written record and many different experiences to go by -IE what others do --The longest I have ever been away is only 4 weeks and that was in the UK so I cannot comment on ins bits or perhaps renting out your house-I can imagine all your questions but what my imagination and your questions have in common could be miles apart :D
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Good idea from Terry. I went to my first show in Peterborough at the beginning of this year's season and picked up lots of tips from other funsters. It will be too late to join the funsters section at Lincoln because advanced booking is closed. But you can always pay on the gate. You will get placed in the general section, but by the look of the map that is next to the funsters section You can always come along and join us in one of the evening get-togethers.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Sue..

we lived in our van for three years with two kids.. age 6 and 16. Packed the job in, sold up and hit the road.. traveled all over Europe and had a great time.. now back to the hum drum.

There are quite a few long termers/ full timers on here , so ask away.. you will get plenty of replies.. not all agreeing but all helpful.. and no question is too silly..

once you are 'on the road' the nerves will quieten down and after a few weeks will feel like seasoned travelers..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

The best way is to get out there and do it..
    Once you start using the van and meeting people you will pick up tips, advise etc,

The suggestion of going to Lincoln is good, your going to have 150 Funster vans there and all the chat you could want... At Stratford show last year there was a young couple who, instead of just chatting to salesmen, came around the FUN area and spoke with several of us.. They even returned on the evening to have a drink and get more input..

Good luck...

• Like Like x 1
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yep. If there is one thing almost all funsters love doing is showing other people around their motorhomes and telling them how good/bad they are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Southport is comming up soon lots of funsters going
    It's not that far for you

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sue

Sue Funster

T
    Thanks for this...sounds like it went good for you..
    My biggest worry is that we have bought a motorhome that is too big...it is stored away now till next April, so,can't go to any of the shows to stay. I am a worrier and I just think we were mad to buy one so big with all the probable problems that go with it. What do you think? What motorhome did you have?

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

How big is too big ?
    don't worry.. you need lots of space when full time.. ours was 36ft USRV .. with a twin axle trailer .

A picture tells a thousand words .. at Oban

[​IMG]

Morocco .. single axle trailer
    [​IMG]

Morocco
    [​IMG]

Morocco High Atlas mountains
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  11. rosierose

rosierose Funster

Hi and welcome :)

What is it about the size, that you are worried about? You could always have a course of advanced driving lessons in it, to give you confidence?

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We have an Autotrail Savannah which is 7.6 metres in length plus it has a tow bar fitted. I refused to drive it at first as I was so worried about a) the length and b) not being able to see out the back when driving forward (we have a reverse camera). I then went on a motorhome manoeuvring course because I knew I had to bite the bullet and get behind the wheel sooner or later. Best thing I ever did - was driving the beast up the M1 the very next day. (y) Not cheap, but then again neither is the motorhome. :)

13. the stig

the stig Funster

We have had two Autotrails in the past, one being the Chieftan. So ask away if you have any questions in particular about the actual motorhome!

14. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Sue
    Mine is 4250kg and over 24ft I wouldn't dream of downsizing. Mine is stored at Wyke Mills, Huddersfield Rd so I'm not millions of miles away.

15. Sue

Sue Funster

That's interesting, we are looking for storage...will definitely try to find out about this. So any information would be very much appreciated.

16. Sue

Sue Funster

Hubby needs to do a manoeuvring course I think, but have you found yours easy to handle...for example reversing?

17. Sue

Sue Funster

Great idea, will definitely do one...was yours run by a caravan club?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sue

Sue Funster

Good idea

19. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Why have you got it stored away till April? Is it having work done, or don't you want to use it in the winter?
    There's lots of places you can go through out the winter, hard standing . By April you could be fully used to your van if you continue to use it.
    As I said on another post , were only in Wakefield , but have never had an autotrail .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sue

Sue Funster

Wow, I am seriously impressed. This looks fantastic....had you driven anything so big before? Any problems getting on sites? Or did you avoid sites. Thanks so much.