Anyone listen to audio books while travelling ? (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Only once have i ever listened to one and it was some time ago - hired from local library - and i must admit i found it really good (crime thriller with some hanky panky and a few fetishes thrown in too - wish i could remember what it was called) ...on our trip via France in a couple of weeks am thinking of buying a few for when on the road but wondering if they might be a distraction - anyone else use/listen to them and any good recommendations ?

Jan 19, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I thought it might be a good idea on our first trip to France about 6 years ago and borrowed some from the library. Rather than a distraction we found we tuned out a bit when navigating and kept missing parts of the story. Got fed up of rewinding so gave up!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
but wondering if they might be a distraction
Hi Kroozer
I assume and yes I know I should'nt, that you are the driver,
if that is correct I would of thought to listen to a audio book to get the best out of it you have to concentrate on what is being said, that does not realy apply to music. It is a bit like trying to watch a film and some idiot won't shut up. So I would think that yes it could be a distraction to your driving. Everyone is different so some might not agree.
Just my opinion.
Best Wishes Tony

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I use Audible.co.uk for audiobooks. There is a large range, often narrated by the author. You pay a subscription of around £7 a month which bus you one credit which you then use to purchase your chosen audiobook. Many coast much more than the subscription so I think its pretty good value and they don't rum out. I download them to my iPhone but I assume you could do the same on an android. I do not listen to them when driving.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Tried it but found you cannot concentrate on the road and the "play" at the same time.

I was constantly asking the Mrs to explain who this person was/how this had happened or going back to listen to bits again.

That was a pain, and topped off with the Mrs trying to rip the radio out to beat me round the head with it as she was totally fed up with all the questions and rewinding. :whistle2::whistle2:

Don't use the radio now while travelling, need to listen out for instructions from SWMBO like " you should have taken the last left hand turn, etc. :rofl::rofl:

Hymie

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hy Hymie liked your post very funny I could just see it in my minds eye what was going on in your cab, butfor an Idiot like me what does the acrinim SWMBO stand for?
Best Wishes Tony

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We listen to the radio whilst driving everywhere, from gardeners world, play of the day, woman's hour and of course the archers. Never been distracted yet!
Listening to an audio book is no different, but switch over for some music after half an hour or so, then switch back if you feel like it.
We buy them from The Works. 3 audio books for £10.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Hy Hymie liked your post very funny I could just see it in my minds eye what was going on in your cab, butfor an Idiot like me what does the acrinim SWMBO stand for?
Best Wishes Tony

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Dave

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not so much travelling as the Sat Nav keeps interupting and keeps beeping at me when I go too fast. Jane uses them all the time and we have an Audible account. Loads of books, sign up for a free few copies and see how you get on.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used them when we had the kids with us, Harry Potter was a particular favorite, as each book basically lasted the round trip to S.France, tried films but they only last 2hrs, book lasted 12-20hrs. Now we do not travel with the kids we just use radio as would probably not be able to agree on a book to listen to.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Tried it last year just sent the boss to sleep I got fed up with having to hear the same page over and over again as she kept rewinding, much easier to put the cruise control on and read. :LOL:

If you want to try you can download from your library, they also have a e-books and magazines to download for free, not supposed to work outside the UK but magazines did, had to use a VPN for the books they use different software.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use Audible.co.uk for audiobooks. There is a large range, often narrated by the author. You pay a subscription of around £7 a month which bus you one credit which you then use to purchase your chosen audiobook
And even if you close the account you still have future access to your purchased library via the website storage so can still download in future.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
>> Anyone listen to audio books while travelling ?

Don't be silly, just hold your iPad on the steering wheel, much better, you can put your own imagination and spin onto the words then.

Real pain is when an incoming email arrives and destroys your concentration on the book.

is that from the driving manual of certain eastern european truckers?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I love listening to audio books,I have many on tapes, cds and memory sticks ..i don't find them a distraction when driving,no different to listening to any radio drama or even the the Archers . ..lol

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
That's all i listen too, I drive a fair bit up and down the UK for work and I always listen to audiobooks, mine are the epic fantasy type though, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Raymond E Feist etc,
I often listen to the same book/chapter twice but never find them distracting, a lot better than some of the crap that's on the radio :)

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
Yes we do as soon as we hit autoroute or long run on duel carriageway on they go. passes the time but I cannot have them on (just hit pause button) if negotiating traffic or in towns

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Steve loves to listen to audio books when driving....he finds music more distracting. I'm the opposite, so when he drives I play the IPod. If I drive I get the CD player!

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I had my bosses pool car for a week and on my travels back from Yorkshire I found and listened to his daughters Henry the eighths life story. At first I found it very good but by the time i got to Birmingham I wanted to cut my own head off :mad:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I tried the books, but didn't get on with them. So now fitted a 26" HD telly onto dashboard. Much better watching the footy while driving with a few cold beers :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I found them a godsend when I was recovering from meningitis a few years ago as I was unable to read , but since haven't used them and not sure if they would work for us when driving in the MH .

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Have a look at "Librivox.com" for audiobooks, thousands of them and all free.
excellent books as well I have podcasts of speech programmes especially when driving at night,music can send you to sleep. \my most recent recording was Rick Wakemans Confessions of a Grumpy Rockstar read by Rick himself-hilarious.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back