Anyone listen to audio books while travelling ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Kool Kroozer, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Only once have i ever listened to one and it was some time ago - hired from local library - and i must admit i found it really good (crime thriller with some hanky panky and a few fetishes thrown in too - wish i could remember what it was called) ...on our trip via France in a couple of weeks am thinking of buying a few for when on the road but wondering if they might be a distraction - anyone else use/listen to them and any good recommendations ?

2. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

Jane finds them great to fall asleep to. I enjoy listening to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jill

Jill Funster

I thought it might be a good idea on our first trip to France about 6 years ago and borrowed some from the library. Rather than a distraction we found we tuned out a bit when navigating and kept missing parts of the story. Got fed up of rewinding so gave up!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hi Kroozer
    I assume and yes I know I should'nt, that you are the driver,
    if that is correct I would of thought to listen to a audio book to get the best out of it you have to concentrate on what is being said, that does not realy apply to music. It is a bit like trying to watch a film and some idiot won't shut up. So I would think that yes it could be a distraction to your driving. Everyone is different so some might not agree.
    Just my opinion.
    Best Wishes Tony

• Like Like x 2
  5. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I use Audible.co.uk for audiobooks. There is a large range, often narrated by the author. You pay a subscription of around £7 a month which bus you one credit which you then use to purchase your chosen audiobook. Many coast much more than the subscription so I think its pretty good value and they don't rum out. I download them to my iPhone but I assume you could do the same on an android. I do not listen to them when driving.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Tried it but found you cannot concentrate on the road and the "play" at the same time.

I was constantly asking the Mrs to explain who this person was/how this had happened or going back to listen to bits again.

That was a pain, and topped off with the Mrs trying to rip the radio out to beat me round the head with it as she was totally fed up with all the questions and rewinding. :whistle2::whistle2:

Don't use the radio now while travelling, need to listen out for instructions from SWMBO like " you should have taken the last left hand turn, etc. :rofl::rofl:

Hymie

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hy Hymie liked your post very funny I could just see it in my minds eye what was going on in your cab, butfor an Idiot like me what does the acrinim SWMBO stand for?
    Best Wishes Tony

8. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

We listen to the radio whilst driving everywhere, from gardeners world, play of the day, woman's hour and of course the archers. Never been distracted yet!
    Listening to an audio book is no different, but switch over for some music after half an hour or so, then switch back if you feel like it.
    We buy them from The Works. 3 audio books for £10.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

She Who Must Be Obeyed

Dave

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Not so much travelling as the Sat Nav keeps interupting and keeps beeping at me when I go too fast. Jane uses them all the time and we have an Audible account. Loads of books, sign up for a free few copies and see how you get on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

We used them when we had the kids with us, Harry Potter was a particular favorite, as each book basically lasted the round trip to S.France, tried films but they only last 2hrs, book lasted 12-20hrs. Now we do not travel with the kids we just use radio as would probably not be able to agree on a book to listen to.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Tried it last year just sent the boss to sleep I got fed up with having to hear the same page over and over again as she kept rewinding, much easier to put the cruise control on and read. :LOL:

If you want to try you can download from your library, they also have a e-books and magazines to download for free, not supposed to work outside the UK but magazines did, had to use a VPN for the books they use different software.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Anyone listen to audio books while travelling ?

Don't be silly, just hold your iPad on the steering wheel, much better, you can put your own imagination and spin onto the words then.

Real pain is when an incoming email arrives and destroys your concentration on the book.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And even if you close the account you still have future access to your purchased library via the website storage so can still download in future.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. iandsm

iandsm Funster

is that from the driving manual of certain eastern european truckers?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I love listening to audio books,I have many on tapes, cds and memory sticks ..i don't find them a distraction when driving,no different to listening to any radio drama or even the the Archers . ..lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mark James

Mark James Funster

That's all i listen too, I drive a fair bit up and down the UK for work and I always listen to audiobooks, mine are the epic fantasy type though, Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks, Raymond E Feist etc,
    I often listen to the same book/chapter twice but never find them distracting, a lot better than some of the crap that's on the radio :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. mick noe

mick noe Funster

Yes we do as soon as we hit autoroute or long run on duel carriageway on they go. passes the time but I cannot have them on (just hit pause button) if negotiating traffic or in towns

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Steve loves to listen to audio books when driving....he finds music more distracting. I'm the opposite, so when he drives I play the IPod. If I drive I get the CD player!

20. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

I had my bosses pool car for a week and on my travels back from Yorkshire I found and listened to his daughters Henry the eighths life story. At first I found it very good but by the time i got to Birmingham I wanted to cut my own head off :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1