Anyone know the mounting method? (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
No, no, just realised after I put the title on. :roflmto: What I mean is, does anyone know how my rear ladder is fitted to the roof?

The photo (though a few months old now) shows my Autotrail rear ladder to roof mountings and there are three screws in each 'leg'. What I am trying to establish is (without diving straight in) is whether they are just screws screwed into the roof or are they screws and nuts under the headlining etc.
There are thin 'rubber' gaskets under the leg flanges that are starting to crack with age but as you can see someone has put mastic under too. There are no leaks or dampness under the mountings but I want to replace the gaskets before they do start to leak.

Does anyone know?

Spoke to a guy in Autotrail a little while ago and he was "not too sure, all the fitters are flat out here at the moment"...... Sleep or work I couldn't establish.
:roflmto:

Advice appreciated.

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they will be normal wood screws into a wood batten built into the roof.
same down the rear wall...built in wood battens.
No nuts or anything else on the inside.
if you do remove the ladder then replace the screws with stainless steel ones to prevent future corrosion.

Rubber gaskets alone are not sufficient to keep out water....plenty of sealer under the feet as well.

Last edited:

SueBaz

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Nr Canterbury, Kent
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since February 2012
Trouble is Kev you can put money on the fact that, whatever MY yours is they changed the installation method, for bodies with odd numbers only, 6 months before yours was built but then changed to completely different installation methods for all bodies except those built on alternate Wednesdays from around about the time yours was manufactured (except of course for models specifically made for Iceland and Belize) although, of course, for any that were stockpiled original fixing arrangements will still apply. Unfortunately body numbers are only issued at the point of despatch so actual date of manufacture may not be possible to establish..........

Hope that helps:Wacko::Wacko:

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Cheers Barry - :Eeek:

Now get back to surfing and lazing in the Moroccan sun. To quote the poor guy hung upside down in the cells in the Life of Brian,,,,

"You lucky *********".

Trikeman. :winky:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Trikeman

As Pappajohn says, just screwed through into wooden battens. The screws look like stainless to me already the sealant is non setting mastic which does dry out in the air but if you get it all apart you might find that all is OK inside anyway. This method of fixing looks just the same as our Vanroyce caravan which was built in the Autotrail factory over 14 years ago now and we have just sold it (bone dry and in fantastic condition) the most likely water ingress point with this method is actually the screw holes so make sure they are well sealed.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
I'm interested in this too as I would like to replace mine with the same one that was removed by the previous owner. They can't remember the make so would some pictures and measurements make an ID possible?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Biggles

Yours looks a recent build Autotrail so I would contact AT directly with your vehicle build number and they should be able to tell you what was fitted and supply a replacement as well.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back