Anyone heading to Morocco at end of 2014?? (1 Viewer)

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Has any funsters that have been to Morocco taken their dog ? If so did they have any problems

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm a watcher! Watching with interest. My OH has promised me he'll finally retire in December. We're planning on going 'somewhere'. Probably get a crossing to Spain end of Jan - then down through Spain to Morocco, coming back to meet up with friends in Portugal at Easter.
We're fairly independent, but sociable - happy to meet up with people from time to time, but not really interested in travelling in groups.
We're planning on taking our dog, too.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Well we do now!
Decided we are definitely returning to Morocco in January, although it might be last week in Jan as we intend to take our time getting down to Algeciras thus time.
We are going clockwise this time and heading for the desert first. We will then go across to Agadir and then work our way back up the coast.

We went clockwise last year and found it much better than the traditional route the Brits usually take round the coast. But it was Tafraoute before we met up with any Brits. But we will probably go that way again this year hoping for better weather at Mazouga where we will stay a couple of weeks then on to Tafraoute for a month or so. We have done most of the Marroc sites in the many years we have been going. So just looking for sun and relaxation.
So we may well meet up again somewhere.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Am I right in thinking that by travelling clockwise, this is the less frightening way to approach Tafraoute? I really want to go to Tafraoute, but I'm terrified of heights. Or, maybe, I just have to try to keep quiet and keep my eyes firmly shut? (I shalln't be driving, by the way.)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We also hope to go next year, we planned to go this year but had to pull out while we were down in Benidorm in January.
We plan to be in Benidorm October ish, then on to Morocco in January. (y)

Tecky138

Free Member
Oct 14, 2010
Christchurch
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It is beginning to look like Morocco might be on again this winter. I'm hoping that something does get organised. All going well we will be joining. We tend to winter in La Torreta so I do not think we will be far from any group. It seem like it is time to do a lot of research.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Am I right in thinking that by travelling clockwise, this is the less frightening way to approach Tafraoute? I really want to go to Tafraoute, but I'm terrified of heights. Or, maybe, I just have to try to keep quiet and keep my eyes firmly shut? (I shalln't be driving, by the way.)
If you approach Tafraoute either from the East or from Tiznit to the South West you won't have any frightening roads to drive over.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
If you approach Tafraoute either from the East or from Tiznit to the South West you won't have any frightening roads to drive over.
Thank you very much, Makems. That's great to know.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970

But bear in mind that Tafraoute sits in a basin between the mountains at 1100 meters so which ever way you approach you have to go over mountains so may have to shut your eyes for a little bit. I suffer from vertigo but am the driver so I am told I am not allowed to close my eyes. I have visited Tafraoute about seven times now and have also driven over the Atlas Mountains by the tricky route so it can't be that bad.
Just go for it Tafraoute is just beautiful. And the people are extra nice.
Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
morocco costs

A few suggestions ,
Make sure your tyres are really good,
carry a spare wheel

I can confirm what SUGGY says regarding tyres and spare wheel.
Two years ago I checked all my tyres before leaving home but the roads and heat produced rapid deterioration and this is the result below at 80kph. To be fair they were over five years old and I intended to change them after Morocco but they didn't give me a chance. And on inspection I had to get three new tyres put on a bus in Casablanca and shipped to me in Ouarzazate. But the Moroccans are great at doing things like that. But they also cost 50% more than at home!
So if your tyres are old, change them before Morocco.
But it is a great place to visit.
Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 20

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Has any funsters that have been to Morocco taken their dog ? If so did they have any problems
i took my dog every year i went to morocco , she actually went before the pets passport scheme started but came back after it had started . used to have to keep them out for 6 months before coming back to uk. but there was no problems . mind best to have a blood test result as sometimes the spanish want to see one .
at one time every dog had to have a titra result to get the passport . if i get another dog i would have the blood test done if only for the bit of paper.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
But bear in mind that Tafraoute sits in a basin between the mountains at 1100 meters so which ever way you approach you have to go over mountains so may have to shut your eyes for a little bit. I suffer from vertigo but am the driver so I am told I am not allowed to close my eyes. I have visited Tafraoute about seven times now and have also driven over the Atlas Mountains by the tricky route so it can't be that bad.
Just go for it Tafraoute is just beautiful. And the people are extra nice.
Steve
Thanks, Steve. There's no way I'm going to miss Tafraoute. It's the place I'm most looking forward to - even if I have to keep my eyes tight shut until we get there!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We won't be going for 2015 we have commitments
But we are defiantly going for 2016 god willing
Anybody thinking of going do it it's not difficult just make your plans and head south we had a blast on the 2014 run and made some good friends
We spent 4 and half grand in 3 months and I now know we could nearly half that on our next run

Do it life's too short
where do you think you could save money? we would love to go but need to know how to do it on next to nothing

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

But from Tiznet there is an "interesting" gravel road for about 35km just before Tafraoute - there is an alternative longer route though. Haven't travelled it but suspect might be a bit mountainous!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best one is from tafraoute to izerbi then south on gravel tracks to thep30 road .
pic of me in my old vw with teardrop behind on way down . other one if you look hard to the right you can just make out me starting the decent .
it was a couple of hours to get down safely and very steep. at times all wheels locked but sliding along .
not recommended for light hearted .
you cant drive up its too steep , only way is down wards .
we found it in a german 4x4 route book . it was breath taking .

Attachments

• img042.jpg
    img042.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 25
  • img043.jpg
    img043.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 22

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
But from Tiznet there is an "interesting" gravel road for about 35km just before Tafraoute - there is an alternative longer route though. Haven't travelled it but suspect might be a bit mountainous!

Yes take the long route. The road is very good and no really dramatic mountain sections.
I've driven both routes and will always, always in future take the long way round.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
So what's the road like if you approach from the East? Is there anything I should know?

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
So what's the road like if you approach from the East? Is there anything I should know?
No real problems at all coming from Igherm in the East
The only difficult road is the R105 from Agadir which I am told is a bit scary with big drops off the side of the road (but not so bad going back the other way towards Agadir as the steep drop is on the other side of the road).
There are a couple of posts on the 2014 thread regarding the R105, one I remember being from Malcolm Bolt.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
where do you think you could save money? we would love to go but need to know how to do it on next to nothing[/QUOTE

The main cost is getting to Morocco on the diesel and camping France/Spain the 200 euro open return ferry to Morocco, once there you can live really economically, use the Guardian areas for camping, they are in all areas and average £1 a night, fruit veg and meat from the markets is excellent quality and very cheap. The costs add up with eating out and buying souvenir's that you really don't need. If you want any alcohol stock up in Spain before you go, along with Cheese and bacon tea and coffee, nearly every thing else is very reasonable, including the diesel half the price.

If you can do it, think every one should try it with a open mind, we have had a amazing time there, though I do think occasionally meeting up with other funsters does give it another plus. Make sure you have a fun sticker in the van as people really do stop and say hello and English really is a minoraty many more French there.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not sure how it happened but reply went in with Mitzmads post:sick:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
No real problems at all coming from Igherm in the East
The only difficult road is the R105 from Agadir which I am told is a bit scary with big drops off the side of the road (but not so bad going back the other way towards Agadir as the steep drop is on the other side of the road).
There are a couple of posts on the 2014 thread regarding the R105, one I remember being from Malcolm Bolt.
Thanks very much, Makems. I'll look up Malcolm Bolt's posts.
I'm getting excited about going, already - and we haven't even had our summer holiday, yet!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back