Anyone have a folding bike

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkieman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I was thinking of getting a couple of folding bikes for me and the boss.

We've saved-up LOTS of points on the American Express card over the years and one of the gifts you can get using the points is Raleigh Boardwalk.

http://stage.raleigh.co.uk/PRODUCTTYPE/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=15&pg=7

I know they don't exactly look like boy racer bikes, but me and the boss are not exactly going to be hitting the high speeds on them.

Does anyone have these bikes, or folding bikes in general? Are they any good?

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Someone in Chat last night had a pair of folding bikes for sale. I think it was Canopus, give him a shout or pop into chat tonight around 10pm he should be there then, or at least someone will remember who had them for sale.

3. stagman

stagman Deleted User

4. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

We have a folding bike that came with our mh when we bought it; we have never used it nor even taken it away with us.
    The beauty of a mh is to be able to park up and put the kettle on; we found the folding bike just got in the way and also was difficult to man handle into the habitation area.
    If we had a garage in our mh then it would fit in there, then again so would a non folding bike, so no need for the extra expense of buying extra bikes.
    We have thought of a bike rack for the back of our mh, but as we off site camp we were concerened about security when we were away from our mh and the bikes did not go with us.
    Just our thoughts, which I know will not be shared by everyone but as you asked for comments I thought I would share with you. If bikes folding or otherwise work for you go for it, there can be no doubt they are an inexpensive and very green mode of transport.

Norman

5. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

6. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

7. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

[/QUOTE]

They look really nice. I like the idea of the full size wheels.

I'll have to measure our garage to see just what we can fit in. I think with folding bikes we should be fine. I can't get my full size bike in, which is a shame.

8. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

9. sedge

sedge Funster

Watch the leg size though, it can be an issue. Mine are a tad short and Pete's are a tad long for our folders. I can't really get going and hone my skills which are exceedigly shaky - only go 100 yards and all me clothing has gone where the sun don't shine plus my lady parts feel crushed. I can't easily put one foot down whilst actually sitting on the saddle, can stop fine - but then just fall over.

I hate the thing, frankly.

10. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

I can strongly reccommend the Dahon folders, we bought 2 for use in the motorhome, easily put together and a joy to ride. Dont take up too much space either.:thumb:
    Here's me modelling one in Avignon: Avignon.jpg
    Geoff.

11. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi.

I have the AS Bikes folding electric bike which I have used for about 2.5 years and it works well. The folding aspect of any bike does not seem to be a problem and if it suits your storage area better it is the way to go. The only thing which affects performance is the size of the wheels, the smaller the more difficult to pedal. I use the electric aspects on my bike to overcome this.

Mike

12. stagman

stagman Deleted User

They look really nice. I like the idea of the full size wheels.

I'll have to measure our garage to see just what we can fit in. I think with folding bikes we should be fine. I can't get my full size bike in, which is a shame.[/QUOTE]

You can also get storage bags for them which is handy keeps them clean ,and stops them getting scratched also the bikes have very light alloy frame which makes them a joy to ride ,you sometimes see them on ebay but they do hold their value pretty well :thumb:

13. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

A cheap, and seemingly very reliable, courier service if you need bikes delivered to you, is Parcels Please. Lots of ex pats here use them to have items sent out (from small boxes to sofas). I checked them out for a bike to be brought out here--£14 door to door.

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We had a couple of Raleigh Eclipse folding bikes but had very little use out of them for a couple of reasons. We replaced them with AS folders mentioned by Mike in July 2010 and find them fine.

With the other van I used to fold them and put them in bags for transportation in the dinette area (using the seat belts to keep them in place. Our current van has a bike rack, though, so we will use that in future.

15. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

We have a couple of Dahon folding bikes. We have had them for about 5 years and they are very good. 20in wheels - not full size but not so small as to be a problem - and 7 speed gears.

They will fit in a car boot and travel in our garage in the MH, which has plenty of room. That said, I think you would struggle with them in the storage space in some vans, we have seen french bed models with tiny outside doors that would not take the folding bikes, and if you are forced to have a bike rack anyway you may as well have full size bikes.

Personally I have always been a bit against bike racks, they are not as secure and add to the van length, and looking at how dirty the rear of our van gets sometimes I would not like that to happen to the bikes in transit. But I guess sometimes they are necessary.

16. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

That made me laugh as you sound exactly like my wife. She says pretty much what you've said every time she gets on a bike :)