Anyone Had Problems Insuring An Older PVC? (1 Viewer)

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Hi all'

We're due to collect our first Moho in just over two weeks time, it's a 2005 IH Tio Savannah. So we've just started to get quotes for insurance. First lot we've tried is Comfort as they seem to have a good reputation. They gave us a good quote, £314 including 90 days European Breakdown, but before they insure the vehicle they want a copy of a current Hab service, and as the vehicle has not been re-registered as a Moho, proof that that process has begun, together with photographic proof that the conversion has taken place. Anyone else had this problem?

Clearly we can't do this as we don't actually own the vehicle, and IH cant do it as there will need to be a change of ownership while the re-registering takes place. If this was a legal requirement I could understand this, but as I understand it, it only became a legal requirement in 2012, and doesn't apply to older vehicles.

On the other hand the camping and caravanning club didn't seem to have a problem and gave us a quote with no conditions, but was quite expensive in comparison.

Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Hey Ho more phone calls.......

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
is it not on the v5 as a motorhome? i cant belive a company like ih didnt notify dvla?
Nowt to do with IH, its the registering dealer responsibility.
If they didnt put 'motorcaravan' on the registration form it wont be registered as such.
Same reason why some vans are the incorrect weight.
Needs sorting with DVSA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Well, IH did the original conversion from new, and we are buying from IH. But was it a legal requirement back in 2005 when the vehicle was first registered? I assume the previous owner for the last 12 years had it insured without problems.

Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sometimes small converters build on pre-registered vans and they remain registered as panel van rather than a Motor Caravan. Not too difficult to get it reregistered but only the existing registered owner can do which could be a problem in your situation.

File attached info on re-registering.

Attachments

• converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf
    323.6 KB · Views: 3

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi all'

We're due to collect our first Moho in just over two weeks time, it's a 2005 IH Tio Savannah. So we've just started to get quotes for insurance. First lot we've tried is Comfort as they seem to have a good reputation. They gave us a good quote, £314 including 90 days European Breakdown, but before they insure the vehicle they want a copy of a current Hab service, and as the vehicle has not been re-registered as a Moho, proof that that process has begun, together with photographic proof that the conversion has taken place. Anyone else had this problem?

Clearly we can't do this as we don't actually own the vehicle, and IH cant do it as there will need to be a change of ownership while the re-registering takes place. If this was a legal requirement I could understand this, but as I understand it, it only became a legal requirement in 2012, and doesn't apply to older vehicles.

On the other hand the camping and caravanning club didn't seem to have a problem and gave us a quote with no conditions, but was quite expensive in comparison.

Any advice/comments gratefully received.

Hey Ho more phone calls.......

Andy
I would think Carole at IH will try and help you. She may be able to provide documentation to Comfort about the original conversion and explain that a mistake has been made by the dealer when registering.
It's worth a try.

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
I would think Carole at IH will try and help you.
It's worth a try.

Unfortunately Carol wasn't in today, but I spoke to Lawrence who is going to help out.

Seems to be a bit hit and miss, just got a quote from Safeguard no probs.

Also just spoke to DoT and they say there is no legal requirement to re-register this vehicle as a Motorhome, unless it is to confirm to the terms and conditions of an insurance policy. Also, it can be re-registered at time of sale when V5 is sent off for change of ownership, just enclose a covering letter and photographic proof.

Phew, panic over. I have complete confidence in IH to sort any probs if there are any but it looks as though easiest option will be to insure with a company that doesn't insist on re-registering.

Andy

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
It is worth getting the V5 updated so that you can drive legally at higher speeds!

Although a human with speed gun would recognise you as a motorcaravan and make allowances, I think that any automated system will use the DVLA database to check your maximum allowed speed for the road type. If the computer says "van" the lower limits will be applied.

OP
OP
A

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
It is worth getting the V5 updated so that you can drive legally at higher speeds!

Although a human with speed gun would recognise you as a motorcaravan and make allowances, I think that any automated system will use the DVLA database to check your maximum allowed speed for the road type. If the computer says "van" the lower limits will be applied.

Good point, we'll do that, might a difference to premiums as well. Also means we'll have a wider choice of insurer as well.

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back