Anyone had/has a fiat ducato landliner 6 berth 2.0 turbo diesel ? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Been looking at this Link Removed and wondered if anyone had any experience of these, especially the 2.0td engine around 1991 model year ?

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Jaykay,

We had a Landliner motorhome, but not turbo deisel engine, it was an H reg and we loved it to bits, all that room and only 22 ft long, beautiful fitted furniture we even bought a turbo deisel engine with the intention of putting it in, as a non turbo didnt have the umph. Then Mick went to Peterbro show and we upgraded to a Bessecarr, but sometimes wish we had kept the landliner. If it is good condition, no damp then Id go for it, we took ours to France and enjoyed every minute of it.

Mick & Sheila

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Been looking at this Link Removed and wondered if anyone had any experience of these, especially the 2.0td engine around 1991 model year ?

I know it's advertised as having a 2 litre turbo-diesel engine but if it has, it isn't original. The Autohomes Landliner came with a 2 litre petrol, 2.5 litre diesel or a 2.5 litre turbo-diesel. Only the 2.5 litre TURBO had power steering, a feature that you should consider necessary on such a comparitively heavy van.

The main problem with them was that all the external moulded plastic panels, and in particular the overcab pod, were made from heat moulded plastic sheeting, not GRP. This type of thermo plastic tends to suffer from stress cracks and is very difficult to repair properly - in fact, a crack in it really needs to be plastic welded. A crack in a moulded skirt fairing whilst annoying isn't likely to be a problem, but one on the roof pod ....... ?!

Some of the Landliners - I think the petrol versions - suffered from lack of payload for what was advertised as a six berth motorhome and were recalled to have the overcab bed removed and replaced with cupboards. It is said that the expense of research and development plus the cost of the recall contributed to the demise of Autohomes in Poole. The Landliner was one of the last model they made. Elddis ultimately bought the remains from the receivers, so perpetuating the brand name but only on versions of their Elddis models.

Other than that they were well made and luxuriously appointed for their time. The way the wrap round upholstery in the rear lounge is tailored is particularly attractive and I imagine would have been expensive to produce.

Finally, remember that the base vehicle is Peugeot Talbot Express and parts for them are now becoming difficult to source.

Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
I know it's advertised as having a 2 litre turbo-diesel engine but if it has, it isn't original. The Autohomes Landliner came with a 2 litre petrol, 2.5 litre diesel or a 2.5 litre turbo-diesel. Only the 2.5 litre TURBO had power steering, a feature that you should consider necessary on such a comparitively heavy van.

Having noted the road wheels in the photo I think that the advertised '2.00 litre turbo-diesel' engine may be a misprint and if it still has the original engine, which is more likely, then it'll actually be a 2.5 in which case it will have power steering.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Having noted the road wheels in the photo I think that the advertised '2.00 litre turbo-diesel' engine may be a misprint and if it still has the original engine, which is more likely, then it'll actually be a 2.5 in which case it will have power steering.

The description states no power steering:Sad:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
The description states no power steering:Sad:

Yes - so it does. For some reason I couldn't access the description until just now.

Note the gross weight of only 3,100 kg. This leads me to believe that the original spec was the 2 litre petrol engine and the current engine is a retrofit. Not a bad thing - it's preferable to a petrol :Smile:

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Thanks for the feedback and opinions folks. I asked the owner a few more questions to which he responded:

hi jason, i dont know if the preavious owner was a smooker being a smooker myself i never gave it any thought i dont smoke in it refurb should have helped.gearbox very good.no overheating,puff of smoke on first start but full choke smoke goes almost instant.not working cigarette lighter.m.p.g.25/30.engine to my knowledge has not been altered this ( model landliner) only 140 were made sothis is a rare one.refurb inside roof recovered,new floor,new carpets,and wallpaper.please remember its 20 years old in good nick inside and out but could do with a womans touch to brighten it up

Dont like smoke smells, so this would put me of, but, since when did a diesel/turbo diesel have a choke ! Also, light refurb = new roof and floor?

I'm giving this a miss. :thumbdown:

So anyone knows where I can get a kontiki or similar with the u shaped rear lounge, up to £6.5k, let me know. There were quite a few before I had the cash, now i'm struggling to find one. Its always the way.:cry:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry I hadn't seen this until it was updated today. Power steering on any of these is rare. It was more common on the 2.5 turbo diesels but only an optional extra IIRC.
It could be an original Fiat 2.0 diesel with a turbo. According to this Link Removed
it was an option.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Here`s one Link Removed:thumb::thumb:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Have you seen this it might be worth watching Link Removed

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Have you seen this it might be worth watching Link Removed

This one is in my watch list, but still hasnt got the "U" shaped lounge.
Thanks anyway.
I see you have a Buccaneer? I used to have a Buccaneer caravan, it was very nice. :thumb:

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
This one is in my watch list, but still hasnt got the "U" shaped lounge.
Thanks anyway.
I see you have a Buccaneer? I used to have a Buccaneer caravan, it was very nice. :thumb:

I have now reported the above listing as it looks like a fraudster.There is an identical listing with different "Yahoo" email contact address and seller.:Blush:

I have seen many of these listings with "Yahoo" email addresses recently.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back