Anyone got one of these?? TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by Trikeman, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    Anyone got a TomTom GO LIVE Camper & Caravan satnav?

Since my Son has 'borrowed' my trusty but very old TomTom 1 I am in the market for a new one.
    I have read all sorts of reviews about the camper specific satnavs with positive and negative feedback and that has been for the Snooper, Garmin and TomTom. I'm looking for info I can trust from my brethren (and sistren) on this fair forum before I separate myself from a fair wedge to get myself a good satnav,,,,,,,, warts an'all. TomTom's can be had for about £300 if you shop around - worth it do you think???

Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

2. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Tom Tom etc

Hi, we bought a Snooper S7000 a couple of years back, mainly for the size of its screen and because you can set vehicle dimensions and weight. We have found it very easy to use and I can recommend it, plus it comes, or did when we bought it, with club and European sites, etc, preloaded. Not cheap though £400.:BigGrin:

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have the TomTom Go Live Camper Sat Nav. It has guided us through France, Spain and Belgium without any problems. Not a cheap unit and the cost of new maps and Go Live subscriptions are quite expensive.

Brisey.

4. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

TomTom camper sat nav. Recently bought this to replace the TomTom go. You can put your vehicle dimensions in at set up, very easy to use. Would recommend, although a bit expensive.

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

100% recommended. We got stuck in a little village in the UK and took 50 minutes to get out!!!! I went out and bought Camper & caravan version and since then no problems in UK,France,Germany and here in Spain. Lots of money but worth the "stress" relief

6. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

I am also in the market for a new Tom Tom but am holding back as the current ones do not have the facility for the user to input their own POIs (such as ACSI and Aires) and also do not enable you to input Latitude and Longitude co-ordinates to set a route to - also important to me for ACSI sites.

Both of these features have been included in my old Tom Tom Go so very frustrating that they have been removed in the new ones. Will wait and see if included in a future release. Do like the lifetime maps and lifetime Traffic updates and I also would prefer the Always Connected feature on the Go 6000 and 5000 which will save on mobile roaming charges particularly when abroad.

7. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I have no problem doing that. I have added loads of my own POI's and use Lon & Lat when needed.

8. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Well I've had my Tom-Tom Camper version for almost a year now and yet again I sing its praises, but I haven't ever had the poor performance that others have had.:thumb:

9. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

I have a fairly new Tom Tom and loaded Archies 30,000 campsites with no problem, just follow the instructions in My TomTom.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trikeman

So far generally positive recommendations. I think I shall go for this one, I like the idea of installing size etc and hope this helps around the tight, low and narrow.
    I also like the camping site guide, some with reviews.

Does anyone use it as a hands free phone also?

Many thanks for the info so far, I have read so many differing reviews on the net I just get confused with the 'too much research' syndrome. :Laughing:

Regards,

Trikeman. :Wink:

11. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

I sure are ring leader jim had one on trial !

12. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

I bought one and had to send it back as the weight limit doesn't go high enough for our motorhome, from memory the highest limit is 5 ton

13. paddywhack

paddywhack

I have just bought a Tom Tom go from a fella from the wildcamping forum, he loaded it up with wild camping spots and aires for Uk,Ireland, france Spain, Portugal, morocco, Belgium and Germany. He also took the speed traps out for France.
    Very helpful chap, cost £200, bargain.

14. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

I emailed TT and asked whether you can delete Go Live and replace system with Camper TT, they said yes but not recommended, so just have to sell old TT and buy the camper one, if its that good.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I still have doubts about all these so-called Motorhome/Caravan devices. The publicity blurb is all very well but when you delve a little deeper it doesn't seem to stack up (my highlighting).

TomTom
    Snooper
    Garmin
    Falcon
    Earlier this year I was looking around at devices because the Garmin we had didn't show PoIs and so on as well as a TomTom we used to have. I tried - and failed - to get a straight answer from Snooper and Navteq as to whether their products contained any narrow road data other than legal restrictions. I ended up getting a TomTom Go Live 820 with lifetime mapping on special offer from Currys and downloaded a set of low bridge PoIs.

16. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I have to say that I am very happy with our TomTom Go720, with Truck maps loaded on to an SD card.

Cheers,

Jock.

17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Yes I remember that I think.

Jim probably threw it against a wall though when Wales thumped England in March.:BigGrin:

18. Trikeman

Hi Graham,
    thanks for getting back.
    Now these were the sort of things that have been discussed on other 'feedback/review' areas I have researched.
    I really don't think we can expect a satnav be totally, 100% accurate for things like every narrow road or limit as it's an ever changing thing - yes a narrow road or weight limit that is permanent or legal (no road works or under reconstruction, been there for years) then these should be within the software. I also understand the satnav companies not being able, or want, to guarantee (lots of should, coulds, use of driving skills and perception etc) routes as any damage to your vehicle or issues could be cited towards - "the satnav made me do it" we only have to look locally where I live to see artics stuck in a farm lanes and narrow villages with 90' bends.
    I have always seen a satnav as an aid for the driver, and not so much an autopilot.
    Not being too familiar with downloading additional features, my old tomtom has just been plugged in and off we go - however the old girl gets confused when we drive on roads that may have been constructed since we have had it, it just panics and gets all moist about it.:Laughing:
    Once we get the new one I have promised myself I will upload all it needs, use the hands free functions and feed it every update necessary to keep it up to date.

Regards,

Trikeman.:Wink:

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I fully agree that a sat nav is merely an aid. Like any computer it is just a tool and, like all tools, has to be used correctly. What annoys me about the hype surrounding large vehicle sat navs is that the companies don't come clean up front about the fact that they haven't actually measured roads and that, in the absence of legal restrictions (which may well be less than physical width), their software works on less accurate data.

We carry a Truckers Atlas in the van and use that as well as the sat nav.

One thing I did ensure with the device I bought earlier this year was that it included lifetime mapping updates as, otherwise, it can be very expensive keeping maps up to date to stop the device having an attack of the vapours :BigGrin:

That reminds me of a caveat for anyone buying second hand. Lifetime mapping update deals are normally restricted to the original owner not the device. So, a device sold on eBay would lose its lifetime mapping. I confirmed that with Garmin when I wanted to give our old device to one of our sons.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Thanks for that Graham. It is certainly a point worth remembering.

Cheers, :thumb:

Jock.