Anyone fitted a gas low or gas it refillable bottle to a 740 or similar? (1 Viewer)

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I am trying to get an 11kg gas-it bottle fitted with an external fill point.

My approved workshop want to fit the inside locker filler as it is easier.

I have bought the white filler and the longer pipe as advised by gas-it!

Can anyone show me how they have gone about it so I can point the fitter in the right direction? He originally suggested the locker door until I told him it was no longer recommended.

Can we take pipe down through floor and either fit filler in narrow plastic skirt on 740 or back up into van and fit on wall effectively behind the cupboard next to sink?????

Please advise what you have done.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Have you posted this before because I'm convinced I've seen virtually exactly your description and I replied.

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Yes sorry I was hoping to find a fellow bailey owner who had done it and could show me how it was done!

Perhaps in bailey thread others will see it.
Thanks for your earlier reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
images (21).jpg

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You can't have an external filler point inside your van, meaning above the floor line. It's ok in a gas locker because its sealed from the hab area and has gas drop vents. I am sure you know this already.

If you have a in locker fill point you will just get hassle from the garage if they see you with it open and a gas gun sticking out of it whatever folk on this forum tell you. I know as that's where mine is and if they see you its not worth it. And in Europe its worse.

Get them to put into the skirt, and ask them to strengthen it with a bracket

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You can't have an external filler point inside your van, meaning above the floor line. It's ok in a gas locker because its sealed from the hab area and has gas drop vents. I am sure you know this already.

If you have a in locker fill point you will just get hassle from the garage if they see you with it open and a gas gun sticking out of it whatever folk on this forum tell you. I know as that's where mine is and if they see you its not worth it. And in Europe its worse.

Get them to put into the skirt, and ask them to strengthen it with a bracket
To be fair, we have ours fitted in the boot as an internal fill point and we've never been asked or prevented from filling. On a couple of occasions, they've come out but only to see if they could assist but I suppose they are looking at the same time. We have filled up in the UK, Germany, Luxembourg, France and Bolton.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Are they doing it FOC or charging you? If FOC have it put where you want it in the skirt (not behind the cupboard!), if you are paying for it and can't do it yourself then have it put in the locker.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Get Autogas 2000 to do it :)
... he lives in Wales ... could be a bit expensive to travel that far assuming they're still up north!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
... he lives in Wales ... could be a bit expensive to travel that far assuming they're still up north!

They are near Thirsk, we have used them twice and we are in Scotland which shows how much we rate them. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes of course. Why would you expect to visit Bolton without?
However they also accept Mastercard.
... don't forget your rabies jabs ... :D2

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Celticmini
We have Gaslow twin bottle system (fitted by dealer) in our Bailey 740. It was fitted from new in 2015 and the external filler point is mounted on the outside of the gas locker door so we don't need to open it when filling. On the Gaslow paperwork we were given at the time of installation it says that filler point is OK on gas locker door, then goes on to explain about type of connector needed (right angled adapter) to make sure pipe does not get kinked or trapped. Can dig out the relevant info if you want or take some pics of our installation if it is any use to you.

Out of interest is it just Gas it that no longer recommend fitting filler on locker door or does that apply to all makes.

OP
OP
celticmini

celticmini

Free Member
Jul 23, 2013
wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
It is no longer allowed in the regulations so neither allow it any longer hence my issues.
Thanks anyway.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Thanks will check with our supplying dealer to see what they recommend so that we are compliant with current regs. Might have to get filler point moved.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks will check with our supplying dealer to see what they recommend so that we are compliant with current regs. Might have to get filler point moved.
The problem with that is you'll then have a dirty great hole in your locker door! If it has been fitted safely so that the filler pipe itself isn't compromised when the door IS opened then don't worry about it ... I assume that even though you don't have to open the door to fill you still DO turn off the gas cylinders at some point before doing so?

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
The problem with that is you'll then have a dirty great hole in your locker door! If it has been fitted safely so that the filler pipe itself isn't compromised when the door IS opened then don't worry about it ... I assume that even though you don't have to open the door to fill you still DO turn off the gas cylinders at some point before doing so?
Oh never thought about the hole it would leave!!:eek: It has been fitted safely, does have the right angled connector on the back of the door to the filler pipe which is not obstructed in its routing to the cylinders. It was fitted by an approved Gaslow dealer so should be ok. When we open door to turn gas off for filling always check pipe to make sure its sitting ok.(y)

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
When I fitted mine, I didn't want to risk crushing the curved aluminium side skirts, didn't want to make a hole in the bodywork, so I used a small metal bracket which I mounted under the gas locker so it just hangs below the skirt. Works well, leaves plenty clearance and design of bracket protects the filler from gravel and mud.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Have look on gasit website the skirt filler needs a 70mm hole,if you put pipe through locker floor make sure you put a grommet around the hole stop gas pipe cutting on the steel edge,you may also need a gas strap kit about 6 pound from ebay keeps the bottle on place. use gas leak tester on all joints when testing for first time.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I have a 2012 740. I drill the skirt and fed the hose through the floor vent into the gas locker. The filler is below the gas locker door.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have look on gasit website the skirt filler needs a 70mm hole,if you put pipe through locker floor make sure you put a grommet around the hole stop gas pipe cutting on the steel edge,you may also need a gas strap kit about 6 pound from ebay keeps the bottle on place. use gas leak tester on all joints when testing for first time.
If you use the smaller filler it's approx a 35mm hole.:)

ron2378

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740se
I have fitted the gaslow system to my 740se 1x13 + 1x6 kilo bottles and put the filler just to the left of the locker door no problem

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We had a 740 (just sold) with dealer fitted Gaslow. The filler was in the skirt below the gas locker - I don’t think they reinforced the skirt, and we had to be careful to support the skirt when attaching the lpg gun.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh never thought about the hole it would leave!!:eek: It has been fitted safely, does have the right angled connector on the back of the door to the filler pipe which is not obstructed in its routing to the cylinders. It was fitted by an approved Gaslow dealer so should be ok. When we open door to turn gas off for filling always check pipe to make sure its sitting ok.(y)
Even if the filler pipe from fill connection to tank / bottle becomes broken no LPG will escape other than what is trapped in the pipe as both the filler connection and the tank have non-return valves. It would be an issue if you didn't spot it and attempted to fill-up but there is no danger as such if it fails.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you wish to fit the filler higher up so that it enters a locker there's a simple plastic kit to maintain ventilation in the event of a leak. It comprises a funnel-shaped plastic device held on by the fixing bolts inside the locker. A section of convoluted hose fits the funnel and follows the filler pipe as it leaves the habitation area. Think of a co-axial pipe where the inner is the gas line & the outer is vented to a safe location.

May 21, 2018
Didcot
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79/2f
Exp
4 years
Had mine fitted at the weekend and the filler is in the door,no issues

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I fitted mine in the locker door and no problems. Bailey obviously does not have a issue with it being in the door, check out the video posted recently.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Why are you lot replying to a thread that's from December 2017 ....??? :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back