Anyone ever taken a bird to France? (1 Viewer)

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
The feathered variety...i.e. a cockatiel. Can't find anything on the internet except restrictions for poultry and racing pigeons. Pet passports needed only for dogs, cats and ferrets. (Who takes a ferret??)
I suppose some of you think I'm daft taking a cockatiel in a motorhome but he loves it!

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
According to Brittany Ferries you may need an Export health certificate going to Europe - check with your Vet.

Many Johnny Foreigners take there feathered birds on holiday in the MH - why not tweet them!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to take our pet rats ... no restrictions on them at all. As for birds, due to bird flu concerns there may be some restrictions ... why not ask DEFRA?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for the link. Looks like he'll be going to France with me in September unless he falls off his perch before then. I got him in 1998 and never thought he'd last this long! Must be doing something right!
Definitely passed his 'sell by date' ... supposedly only 14 years life span ... could go on for a lot longer though!

OP
OP
Wendo55
Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Aww! Mine's not showing any signs of old age. Still squawks when he hears me coming through the door, whistles his own versions of a couple of tunes, barks at the dog and imitates the sound of a lager can opening when I go in the fridge!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well that's cheered her up MG, have you thought of joining the samaritans (y)
Well she did say she didn't think he'd last that long ... sort-of sounded like she wished he'd already fallen off his perch! :D I was just pointing out that the bird could go on for a lot longer ... which she may be even MORE disappointed about! :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Couple of years back bumped into a motorhomer near Dundee on his way back from Spain to home in Banff and they had a parrot (or something like that onboard).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With avian bird flue about, i think it very foolish and selfish to put a bird at risk by travelling with it across europe. much safer for him to be at home in a controlled environment

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Can't see how a bird in a cage which is inside a MH has any risk from avian flu. For an elderly bird that enjoys the change of scenery with its owner to have to spend 2/3 weeks in some sort of fostering arrangement seems unnecessary IMHO.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The feathered variety...i.e. a cockatiel. Can't find anything on the internet except restrictions for poultry and racing pigeons. Pet passports needed only for dogs, cats and ferrets. (Who takes a ferret??)
I suppose some of you think I'm daft taking a cockatiel in a motorhome but he loves it!
A quick Google found this: http://www.jamescargo.com/livestock_transport/PetBirdImport.htm
I'm not sure if this only applies to unaccompanied birds, I suggest a bit more Googling is required or contact that company by phone and ask for their advice.
A lot of illegally sourced parrots and the like are brought into the country so it doesn't surprise me there is a need for paperwork.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Can't see how a bird in a cage which is inside a MH has any risk from avian flu. For an elderly bird that enjoys the change of scenery with its owner to have to spend 2/3 weeks in some sort of fostering arrangement seems unnecessary IMHO.
Are we talking about a bird here or someone's gran ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
With avian bird flue about, i think it very foolish and selfish to put a bird at risk by travelling with it across europe. much safer for him to be at home in a controlled environment
You could use that argument for any illness for any pet ... still won't stop us taking our dogs abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A quick Google found this: http://www.jamescargo.com/livestock_transport/PetBirdImport.htm
I'm not sure if this only applies to unaccompanied birds, I suggest a bit more Googling is required or contact that company by phone and ask for their advice.
A lot of illegally sourced parrots and the like are brought into the country so it doesn't surprise me there is a need for paperwork.
That is IMV referring to importing non-UK birds, not those that are just on holiday abroad.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
d
You could use that argument for any illness for any pet ... still won't stop us taking our dogs abroad.
difference being our dogs cant catch a fatal virus from a pigeon or crow flying near to an open window of the van. we mitigate the risks by innoculating against the main threats. not possible with a bird

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Spatchcocked Cockatiel Yum Yum,:hugs: not as much meat as a Cat of course, but, gently marinated in a nice Port Wine sauce!

Really like your idea of taking emergency supplies "on the hoof" so to speak, you know fellow Funsters this could be a new trend, you read it here first started by @Wendo55 :hugs:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
[QUOTE="Wendo55, post: 2238421, member: 35384 Anyone fancy bird-sitting in September when I go to Twin Lakes?[/QUOTE]

My little pussie has volunteered.... :giggler:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
d

difference being our dogs cant catch a fatal virus from a pigeon or crow flying near to an open window of the van. we mitigate the risks by innoculating against the main threats. not possible with a bird
No but they can catch nasties from being walked ... our Lily has been ill twice, once very seriously, due to a tick bite where she was on drips etc and the vet was very concerned about her ... but there's no way she'd stay with anyone whilst we went away and she's got that much protection now if any tick was even thinking about biting her it'd keel over at 50 paces!

There are risks wherever you go with pets, especially in foreign climes where there are bugs etc that they probably haven't been exposed to at home so don't have resistance to them ... same as us lot really.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
And her name was Polly , just saying (y)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Met a couple in France who took there pet tortoise away with them I asked did they take it for walks :LOL::LOL:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Minxy Girl only gave a 'like' to your previous post because of the reference to not going away without your dogs - NOT because Lily had been so ill.
My own vet has warned me about the ticks, and even suggested not taking the dogs if it is just for a short time. However Dillon will definately be accompanying me to Twin Lakes, and will have to get use to me inspecting him every day!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back