Anyone else in to quad copters ? ( drones ) (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just wondered if anyone has got in to quadcopters at all ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Just seen a feature on BBC about a competition where they are flown through obsticles at speed, looked exciting. Seemed to be indoors

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just wondered if anyone has got in to quadcopters at all ?

Having failed miserably to master full on RC helicopters I bought a small quad, a while ago, before cameras were fitted to them all, but flight wise, it's just not flying, the computer does most of it. This is good as long as you just want to fly it around with minimal chance of crashing.

What has struck me now is just how they have transformed TV. So many shows now have exciting aerial coverage that would have been prohibitive expensive with a full sized helicopter.

The huge numbers now on sale with cameras for little cash certainly can enable an active imagination. But they also have caused huge problems because of safety, security, confidentiality and safety which has got the CAA tramping on the scene with it's huge jack boots. It can only get worse.

Shifty was an early adopter and learned the safety side the had way, he showed us the damage to his leg. Never underestimate how much damage a flying strimmer can do.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bought a little un back in June but only 'flown' it indoors so far.
Hardest way to learn to fly one when you have so much stuff to avoid in the house but if you can fly indoors you are ready for anything.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I need one .....................................................I think

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Been looking at the new Go Pro Karma

Then I found this.

They really are the mutts..
I thought my Vision 2+ was good but the GoPro is in another league..

@hilldweller .. Yes, that is very true..
I started off with RC planes but after a year spending more time repairing them than flying I gave up and migrated to 1/12 and then 1/10 cars
For some odd reason I had a natural affinity for them.. Still got a whole suitcase full of trophies somewhere..

Eventually gave it all up but a couple of years ago got the bug again.
Wrote off an uncrashable plane on the forst flight and then went for the quad..
Anyone who says you cannot crash one aint tried flying them !!
What ever folk go for always buy:
at least one extra battery
at least two spare sets of blades ( !! )
A set of blade protectors

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
DJI flame wheel F450, looks like this

Link Removed

Its sat, broken on the dining room table, the teenager lost contol, it flew into the ground with suspected loss of GPS or comms :cry:
New GPS aerial, leg and props required/ordered

Great fun and great pictures from the goPro

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I started with helicopters too than started on quads with cameras mounted. I have a Yuneec Q500 Typhoon now which gives fantastic video footage and is really easy to fly.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Anyone thinking of flying one near my Van had better have Good Insurance, a large Jar of Vaseline, and a small file for sharp edges
never seen it yet at a meet but its coming
Nothing at all against the toys just the idiots who dont know where and when to fly them:mad:
Chinese Lanterns were fun once, till they got virtually banned
G

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Anyone thinking of flying one near my Van had better have Good Insurance, a large Jar of Vaseline, and a small file for sharp edges
Nothing at all against the toys just the idiots who dont know where and when to fly them:mad:
G

Don't have any insurance, or training, or vaseline.........:LOL:

I do have a generator and I do let my grey waste dribble........;)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
G
There was one being flown at Twin Lakes :blush: ...... the noise they make is really quite intrusive :madder:
Thought we were being attacked by a swarm of bees...:confused:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have one of these, its a Little Spyder but it ain't so little but its modular so if you crash everything is easily replaced(y)

Link Removed

And one of these, very easy to fly(y)

maxresdefault.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That is easily solved, join the BMFA and get millions of insurance with membership. No sure if it's valid abroad.

www.bmfa.co.uk is not working for me today, so ...............

Link Removed

Have you read the insurance restrictions for learners using a first person view model.
Cheap chinese quadcopters dont have the ability to connect a buddy lead so any newcomer must spend a fortune on a compatible copter, which is very unlikely to happen.

After Consultations with the Civil Aviation Authority and our insurers, BMFA is happy to confirm that First Person R/C will be a legal and recognised aspect of model flying and as such covered by the BMFA Insurance policy but ONLY where the following conditions are applied:

• The activity is solely for ‘sport and recreation’ purposes.

• Two pilots must take part
• A buddy Box system must be employed

• The pilot in charge must operate the master transmitter

• The pilot in charge must not wear the headset or view a screen

The aircraft remains within the natural unaided visual range of the pilot in charge

• Reliable operation of the Buddy Box is established

• A clear handover protocol is established

• The pilot in charge is solely responsible for the safety of the flight

These operating conditions very clearly place the legal responsibility for the safety of the flight on the pilot in charge.

Only
After Consultations with the Civil Aviation Authority and our insurers, BMFA is happy to confirm that First Person R/C will be a legal and recognised aspect of model flying and as such covered by the BMFA Insurance policy but ONLY where the following conditions are applied:

• The activity is solely for ‘sport and recreation’ purposes.

• Two pilots must take part
• A buddy Box system must be employed

• The pilot in charge must operate the master transmitter

• The pilot in charge must not wear the headset or view a screen

The aircraft remains within the natural unaided visual range of the pilot in charge

• Reliable operation of the Buddy Box is established

• A clear handover protocol is established

• The pilot in charge is solely responsible for the safety of the flight

These operating conditions very clearly place the legal responsibility for the safety of the flight on the pilot in charge.

Only by compliance with the above procedures can First Person RC take place as alawful and insurable aspect of model flying activity.
by compliance with the above procedures can First Person RC take place as alawful and insurable aspect of model flying activity.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
G
Bloody drones, :swear2:one crashed into the roof of the van when we were away,:mad: waiting to get out into workshop to see if it needs a new skylight. There is a mark on it but can't tell if it's a crack or not. Will be paid for by the p parent of the numpty that was flying it

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
RE the drone at Twin Lakes I'm surprised at the noise comment it's pilot flew it quite high enough to be quietish and it gave me the idea of expanding my camera viewpoints
On investigation I found that I could afford one that has a reasonable still image capture and HD video which I have yet to use yet at full definition

There are rules and regs regarding the flying of Drones and AFAIK the pilot of the one at Twin Lakes obeyed them as do I now I fly one
the main thing is they should not be flying in between outfits and if they do the pilot is breaking ALL the rules. And please ladies and gentlemen before you commit GBH a quiet word with any responsible pilot will allay your fears and maybe even let you fly it if you do you will be wanting one too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back