Anyone else have an Orange Livebox? (2 Viewers)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Yipeeeeeee.........at least it's "fixed" for the moment! Now, evicting those family members who are hogging it is not quite as simple and you will need to define your own strategy :ROFLMAO::Doh: I was starting to wonder where you had vanished but I suppose life in your household with only one internet linked PC was a little fraught to say the least:Eeek:

Laurie

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I am supposed to be at Malvern this weekend but JC is working the show on his own (his choice :RollEyes: ) and I am here at home with the kids :roflmto:
The weather is atrocious so I am glad to be here :winky:

I shall tackle the wireless issue next week sometime when the dust settles a bit and I have one back at school :Smile:

Steptoe

Free Member
Jan 6, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
B class
Exp
Hi Linda,

I too have a Livebox and a long saga of a problem, no relevance to yours so won't bore you, but, a useful tip; when I finally lost my patience and said I wanted the MAC number in order to change my ISP I was transferred to an English call centre to a very efficient lady who not only talked me through a solution but offered me three free months & a reduction in rental as compensation (in return I gave up the Home Phone facility but as BT now offer free evening and weekend calls this wasn't a problem)

Still with Orange & same email address:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Still haven't addressed the wireless issue yet.....been too busy and comfortable with my 10 meter cable (even if JC does keep tripping over it :roflmto: )

Whilst trying to establish why the latest Windows updates b*ggered up lappy this morning (which I fixed with system restore.....thanks GJH for the suggestion............blimey......it actually worked this time!!) I stumbled upon this..... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D2-5034-4BBB-B74D-AD8430A1F7C8&displaylang=en

Laurie, do you think this could be the answer to my wireless problem or will installing it b*gger things up even more?

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda.....that link takes you to XP Service Pack 2 which is a rather VITAL update and it's highly recommended that you install it without undue delay......it is a large update which was released some years ago so somehow either you haven't updated in all that time or your system restore has somehow got rid of the Service Pack 2.........I'd recommend you do it asap, it may fix quite a few glitches (as well as potientially messing about with things!!!), but it really should be regarded as essential. :Eeek::Eeek:

Let us know how you are getting on - or PM me. Luckily the long wire fix is quite a nice stable connection once you can stop people tripping on the cable!!! So that isn't a big issue at present and Service Pack 2 should not cause any further hassle.

Before you install SP2, its a good idea to defragment your harddrive and use a registry cleanup tool if you have one, and then reboot before installing. Once you've done SP2, go on and install SP3, the latest one. Set your lappy to get automatic Microsoft updates as well, so you don't need to worry about it. Will explain how once you get through the SP2 AND 3 installation...........do it asap, I'd recommend!!!:Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi Laurie

As far as I am aware, I already have SP2......the way I read it it was an update for users running SP2:

Brief Description
This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Am I reading it wrong then? :wub:

I just disabled the auto updates as today's stuffed up the internet connection :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi again Linda,

Yup it isn't SP2, just an update to it which probably would have been included in the auto updates if you had that on; if not, no reason not to install it - System Restore can always take you back to before the install. ::bigsmile:

The Internet connection may have failed after the latest updates because your firewall needed to be allowed to accept the new installation - sometimes you have to do this manually. They are notorious for this. I'd do the install and the defrag, reboot etc. and reset the firewall settings to accept the new installation. Have you got all the latest XP updates BTW? It may be worth trying them again and resetting the firewall to accept them as ok for internet access.

What browser are you using BTW? IE or Firefox?

Laurie:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back