Anyone bought a garmin camper 660? (1 Viewer)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
don't know what poi you have that aren't already on it, and if they are your own you already know where they are.

Does it have as POI's all the Aires. For example does it have the Aire at say Rugles for someone who has not been there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry @chaser but you are comparing apples and pears.. or a penny farthing with a modern road bike..

both do the job.. that is where the similarity stops..

I've tried all sorts of mapping on both phones and tablets.. and IMO nothing beats a dedicated sat nav..

until you have tried the Garmin camper.. you can't really compare

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is the readability of the screen in sunlight, not the size that is a difficulty.

Just downloaded Here We Go again and still can't see how to load my POIs - and with 2265 of them I certainly don't know where they all are :)
Also can't see how to set it up for large vehicles.
Ok , I give up you spends your money and takes your choice(y):) but ,and this is no way being funny , what is it with these poi things, I have seen this come up many times, if you have to put them in , you must already know where they are, why , if you know where you are going why has a sat nav got to tell you, I have never felt the need for them, what am I missing?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
sorry @chaser but you are comparing apples and pears.. or a penny farthing with a modern road bike..

both do the job.. that is where the similarity stops..

I've tried all sorts of mapping on both phones and tablets.. and IMO nothing beats a dedicated sat nav..

until you have tried the Garmin camper.. you can't really compare
When I used to drive a van for an electrical wholesaler, I got to be the tester for any new sat navs they were selling, must have had half a dozen of them, and I must say I never found one anywhere near as good as here maps or even google maps but for that you have to be online.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok , I give up you spends your money and takes your choice(y):) but ,and this is no way being funny , what is it with these poi things, I have seen this come up many times, if you have to put them in , you must already know where they are, why , if you know where you are going why has a sat nav got to tell you, I have never felt the need for them, what am I missing?

POIs can be downloaded from many sites.. for example. Campercontact.. , Caravan Club, Archies campings, etc there are literally tens of thousands.. free There are sites with lists of POIs for every conceivable place.. Shops, Parks, Cinemas, Hospitals , petrol stations, LPG ... etc etc .. you name it.. you can generally find them

this puts all the sites on your sat nav .. it then knows where they are.. it can then navigate to whatever one you want.. it will also alert when you are near one ..

but each to their own mate.. use what you find most useful.. all I'm saying is there are many ways to skin a cat ..

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
you must already know where they are, why , if you know where you are going why has a sat nav got to tell you,
Isn't that the whole point of a sat nav? You know where you want to go, the sat nav tells you how to get there? As a great man once wrote: if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
@chaser

I would like to be able to load an Aires POI file into a Sat Nav so I can search search for aires in Towns, Near Me or Along a Route. without having to refer to a book or remember where it was when I visited it 10 years ago only to find its been moved.

Out of curiosity what route does your App suggest between Borough Green and DA37NA. Does it recommend the A227 and B260 or does it go straight through Fairseat.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
POIs can be downloaded from many sites.. for example. Campercontact.. , Caravan Club, Archies campings, etc there are literally tens of thousands.. free There are sites with lists of POIs for every conceivable place.. Shops, Parks, Cinemas, Hospitals , petrol stations, LPG ... etc etc .. you name it.. you can generally find them

this puts all the sites on your sat nav .. it then knows where they are.. it can then navigate to whatever one you want.. it will also alert when you are near one ..

but each to their own mate.. use what you find most useful.. all I'm saying is there are many ways to skin a cat ..
Just an aside, when I had the first sat nav, they sent me to the middle of Birmingham well always used a A to Z before so used to finding the streets ok but set this satnav up to the post code and was amazed when it came up with you have reached your destination in a long road with odd doors in it , so gets out thinking this bloody useless sat nav , it's just an empty street, anyway went to the first door and b..... Me if there wasn't a massive great factory behind it , and it was the right place, never having used one before and seen them in action , I was compleatly gobsmacked as they say.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Isn't that the whole point of a sat nav? You know where you want to go, the sat nav tells you how to get there? As a great man once wrote: if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
Not only that.
My set of 2265 POIs, for instance, is of places where Motorhome Parking is possible. So, if we are on a journey somewhere and want to have a break we can see on the map where the nearest place is or search for the nearest place and then add it to the route to go to it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
image.jpeg
@chaser

I would like to be able to load an Aires POI file into a Sat Nav so I can search search for aires in Towns, Near Me or Along a Route. without having to refer to a book or remember where it was when I visited it 10 years ago only to find its been moved.

Out of curiosity what route does your App suggest between Borough Green and DA37NA. Does it recommend the A227 and B260 or does it go straight through Fairseat.
Three choices mate

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
If you ever need that route don't take the Dark Blue offering which I assume is its First Choice and the others are alternatives. That is virtually all single track with blind corners and I don't even attempt in my car. I would not know that if I was from elsewhere in the country so that concerns me. I view offering alternative routes as these are all suitable ways to go, take what you fancy. I don't want to have to study maps or Google earth to see what the roads are actually like before choosing.

The Left hand route is not to bad until it joins the blue route. So 1 out of 3 ok

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I can't unstand why you buy a sat nag it doesn't do the job straight out of the box and you have to learn how to use it ( it should be intuitive if it was designed well ) and also have to have a PC to use other programs to get the best out of . Not fit for purpose comes to mind.
It needs to be registered to the owner for security and update as it may have been in the box for months. Then you can update regularly.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't know why you all don't just get the ' here maps' app for your phone or tablet, free, allways up to date , no all night downloads, don't need to connect it to a PC, works off line, more poi than you can shake a stick at, uses the same maps that Audi and bmw use in their cars, even tells you the bus that you could catch or how to walk there, even the nearest taxi, just try it you will never use anything else
Personal choice?

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Not only that.
My set of 2265 POIs, for instance, is of places where Motorhome Parking is possible. So, if we are on a journey somewhere and want to have a break we can see on the map where the nearest place is or search for the nearest place and then add it to the route to go to it.

So are all the Parking (BMP images) sites shown on the map at the same time, as with TomTom, or just 'selected' ones?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So are all the Parking (BMP images) sites shown on the map at the same time, as with TomTom, or just 'selected' ones?
I have Proximity Alerts set up to show Custom POIs. That means that all POIs I have added (not just the Motorhome Parking ones) which are within the area shown on the screen at any given time show up. That is the same as the older TomTom devices (and Mio & devices using iGo) show as well. The newer (Nav4) TomTom devices do not allow .bmp images to be associated with custom POIs (though they still say they are working on it.

In addition, say we fancy a stop and there is nothing within the map area showing then I (as passenger with Jill driving) can search the POIs for the nearest one and add it as a waypoint so that we will be taken there as part of the journey.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have Proximity Alerts set up to show Custom POIs. That means that all POIs I have added (not just the Motorhome Parking ones) which are within the area shown on the screen at any given time show up. That is the same as the older TomTom devices (and Mio & devices using iGo) show as well. The newer (Nav4) TomTom devices do not allow .bmp images to be associated with custom POIs (though they still say they are working on it.

In addition, say we fancy a stop and there is nothing within the map area showing then I (as passenger with Jill driving) can search the POIs for the nearest one and add it as a waypoint so that we will be taken there as part of the journey.
I was thinking of giving the new 5200 a try and I thought the poi issue was solved. However you mention that the newer nav 4 devices don't allow . BMP so do you think that's the case with the new 5200?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was thinking of giving the new 5200 a try and I thought the poi issue was solved. However you mention that the newer nav 4 devices don't allow . BMP so do you think that's the case with the new 5200?
There is no proper POI support on the new TomTom range. They have been receiving complaints throughout the 3 year life of the Nav4 range but they still brought out the new WiFi range without incorporating it. See Link Removed for instance.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you google the make and model you could probably print off the instruction manual .. here's hoping it is more informative than my TomTom satnav book which tells me how to switch it on and off. o_O
Tom Toms are gender specific it appears, you have bought the one intended for men with On Off instructions
The female version is available with No instructions;)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 (waterproof version). In April this year me and 7 mates went over to Belgium to do a WW1 war graves tour.

We had 6 Garmins between us and none of them showed the same routes for any given destination. In fact mine wouldn't find Ypres or Lepers no matter what I entered. Most frustrating.

I used it when we went to Italy last month and it worked quite well, though I wish we could tell it the size of the vehicle we were in as going down the west side of Lake Garda was an experience I wouldn't want to do again.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 (waterproof version). In April this year me and 7 mates went over to Belgium to do a WW1 war graves tour.

We had 6 Garmins between us and none of them showed the same routes for any given destination. In fact mine wouldn't find Ypres or Lepers no matter what I entered. Most frustrating.

I used it when we went to Italy last month and it worked quite well, though I wish we could tell it the size of the vehicle we were in as going down the west side of Lake Garda was an experience I wouldn't want to do again.
I also have the 660 waterproof ( motorcycle) Garmin. I have had the same problem finding places. I have since discovered it is because the town I am looking for is in a different country than the one I am in at the time I put it into the 660. I found if I changed the country on the sat nav it found it straight away.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I also have the 660 waterproof ( motorcycle) Garmin. I have had the same problem finding places. I have since discovered it is because the town I am looking for is in a different country than the one I am in at the time I put it into the 660. I found if I changed the country on the sat nav it found it straight away.

Yes, we realised that when we were abroad this last time.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I have a 760 and I'm quite pleased with it. I find it a bit harder to use than my previous cheap Chinese job, but I won't use that now due to the map update issues and questionable legitimacy of the supplied software.

I do have one annoying issue which perhaps someone can help with? It has a tendency to start displaying warnings of approaching hazards as popups, obscuring most of the screen. There is a section of the A9 around Golspie where it does this in particular. I can't find the setting to turn this off?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back