Anyone bought a garmin camper 660? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just bought a satnav -Garmin camper 660 from Aldi -£130.Anyone tried one out?Didnt come with mains charger or instructions though!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you google the make and model you could probably print off the instruction manual .. here's hoping it is more informative than my TomTom satnav book which tells me how to switch it on and off. o_O

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Charging for these small gadgets is usually via a standard or mini USB socket.

You can always take it back to Aldi for a refund, their returns policy is excellent - or was it sold as seen, ex demo, as that price is the cheapest I think funsters have seen?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Ultima

It comes with a 12V plug which you have to use if you want the Traffic info to work. There is a small lead that comes with it which you use to connect it to the PC by USB for updating and charging. You can buy a Mains charger as an extra.

Here is the manual http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Camper_660_OM_EN.pdf

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I got one earlier in the year, it works well most of the time:rolleyes:, like all sat navs there will be times it wants to send you down unsuitable roads. I downloaded the manual from Garmin site as a pdf file.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Same as mine, no instructions or mains charger, just a usb for updates and a 12v car charger.. Must say after owning it for 6 months i am not impressed with it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also mine bought from Aldi .. and it's one of the best sat navs I've owned..

I use in conjunction with Base Camp and it will NOT send you down roads that are unsuitable..

Like all technology, to get the every best out of it you have to learn how to use it.. and that takes time and effort..

I loaded mine with the Campercontact POIs and used it all over France this summer to find sites and sites.. and it performed great .. it never send me down unsuitable roads.. but then again.. one man's unsuitable is another's OK .. and if a site is down a single track road.. how else would you get to it.. ?

Most sites are not on A or main roads.. if they were, would be complaining they were too noisy .. we want quite and secluded .. can't have it both ways..

It doesn't come with a mains charger.. why would you need that ?

It comes with a 12v cable with cigarette plug and a USB cable for updates and loading routes from Base Camp..

The screen is high quality (unlike the Chinese cheapies) can be viewed even in bright sunlight (not direct) the touch screen is sensitive and accurate..

It also has live traffic updates, connects to a smart phone to find local amenities and shops, it works as a mobile hands free .. and stuff I've probably forgotten.. how many more features does it need ?

A quality sat nav.. .... I challenge anyone to show me better

Giddy Lynn

Free Member
Oct 27, 2015
Wakefield, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
T-620 Ford Tribute
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just bought a satnav -Garmin camper 660 from Aldi -£130.Anyone tried one out?Didnt come with mains charger or instructions though!

Crikey, I just bought Garmin Camper 660 LMT and it cost me £259 off amazon ....and I shopped around, never thought about Aldi...how annoying!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Still full price at your local Aldi :(

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Did it come with Lifetime map upgrades?

I ask because I'm also considering a 660LTD from Aldi but I wonder if the price difference is due to the absence of the map upgrade package.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have the 760, which is the same but a bigger screen.
Like all sat navs it is not perfect but, as @scotjimland says, use it in conjunction with Basecamp and you can ensure that it won't take you down impassable roads.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I happily paid £199 for the exact sat nav from Aldi.
It comes with everything you need. Manual is on line and so is registration and updates.
Just a small query? Why would you need a mains charger? I have had them with sat navs before and they never saw the light of day.
However I'm sure Garmin could supply one if you needed.
Incidentally, you can also get a camera attachment that is Bluetooth. Sounds interesting.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I've found that mine does send me on miles of minor roads when there are A roads that only add a few miles to the journey so I've upped the weight imput and it does seem better.I will find out how much better soon when we're off to Devon and Cornwall for a few weeks.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I've found that mine does send me on miles of minor roads when there are A roads that only add a few miles to the journey so I've upped the weight imput and it does seem better.I will find out how much better soon when we're off to Devon and Cornwall for a few weeks.
Check your setting are not set to "Quickest Route" if they are change them to "Fastest". HTH

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Presently on our second jaunt into France with our Aldi 660 and it is far superior to the built in unit (Autotrail Mohawk 2013) absolutely love it and hasn't put a foot wrong.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @MotorHomeParking.co.uk

As you know I have some reservations on the routing of these Garmins. I note your comment along with @scotjimland about Basecamp and that will avoid impassable roads.

Can I suggest you input the following into your unit and into Basecamp and then answer the following. Start Meopham Green and the End at 9 Pescot Avenue New Barn ( Not my address by some distance).

On the unit why as I have mentioned before it detours through The Parade at the junction of the A227 and B260 which is a parking slot in front of a parade of shops.

If I use Basecamp in RV mode it does not repeat that problem but goes via Melliker Lane, a Single Track, instead of turning by The Parade into the B260 which is a 2 way. Use Google Earth to see the difference in the road types. I know this is not an impassable road but it definitely not a route I would select in a Motorhome or any other vehicle and it is also longer. If you select return trip in Trip planner it does not go back via Melliker Lane.

Also why does the Garmin avoid the A227 unless you force it to use it.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I can't unstand why you buy a sat nag it doesn't do the job straight out of the box and you have to learn how to use it ( it should be intuitive if it was designed well ) and also have to have a PC to use other programs to get the best out of . Not fit for purpose comes to mind.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi @MotorHomeParking.co.uk

As you know I have some reservations on the routing of these Garmins. I note your comment along with @scotjimland about Basecamp and that will avoid impassable roads.

Can I suggest you input the following into your unit and into Basecamp and then answer the following. Start Meopham Green and the End at 9 Pescot Avenue New Barn ( Not my address by some distance).

On the unit why as I have mentioned before it detours through The Parade at the junction of the A227 and B260 which is a parking slot in front of a parade of shops.

If I use Basecamp in RV mode it does not repeat that problem but goes via Melliker Lane, a Single Track, instead of turning by The Parade into the B260 which is a 2 way. Use Google Earth to see the difference in the road types. I know this is not an impassable road but it definitely not a route I would select in a Motorhome or any other vehicle and it is also longer. If you select return trip in Trip planner it does not go back via Melliker Lane.

Also why does the Garmin avoid the A227 unless you force it to use it.
It certainly looks like there is a mapping error in that area. All you can do, I suppose, is report it to Garmin and, in the meantime set the minor road as a road to avoid.
EDIT - probably something to do with general lack of road width data.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can't unstand why you buy a sat nag it doesn't do the job straight out of the box and you have to learn how to use it ( it should be intuitive if it was designed well ) and also have to have a PC to use other programs to get the best out of . Not fit for purpose comes to mind.
The reason is that it isn't like a TV or radio with tightly defined functions.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you google the make and model you could probably print off the instruction manual .. here's hoping it is more informative than my TomTom satnav book which tells me how to switch it on and off. o_O

Made by a bloke with a stammer :p

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008

Largely Tomtom's and Garmins are fairly intuitative. However they are capable of doing many thinks and there are lots who would have a unit for years and not realise half of what they can do. The option is, as with many products, to download an instruction manual to help understand the products full capability. Downloading saves paper although those who don't have computers then have problems.

Yesterday I came across a case of someone who had bought a new Tomtom and took it out the box and assembled it ready for use. He was asking how do you now disconnect it from its holder. There was no button or release switch as on previous units. Actually they are held together now by a fairly strong magnet so they will not come apart during use. He had to be told to give it a sharp pull to remove it. Seems he needs to read the instruction manual!!!

Except for the very latest Tomtoms announced this week you need a computer to update the units Maps and Software etc and the additional PC based software gives you additional route creation facilities without having to do all the work on the unit itself.

Reactions: GJH
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have one and I'm very happy with it. But even the best still requires some consideration from the driver. Do not blindly follow any instructions!

Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know why you all don't just get the ' here maps' app for your phone or tablet, free, allways up to date , no all night downloads, don't need to connect it to a PC, works off line, more poi than you can shake a stick at, uses the same maps that Audi and bmw use in their cars, even tells you the bus that you could catch or how to walk there, even the nearest taxi, just try it you will never use anything else

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't know why you all don't just get the ' here maps' app for your phone or tablet, free, allways up to date , no all night downloads, don't need to connect it to a PC, works off line, more poi than you can shake a stick at, uses the same maps that Audi and bmw use in their cars, even tells you the bus that you could catch or how to walk there, even the nearest taxi, just try it you will never use anything else
One reason is the difficulty in reading the tablet screen in sunlight.
Another reason is the difficulty in mounting the tablet.
A third reason is that (last time I looked at it anyway) I couldn't work out how to load my own POI set to it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A third reason is that (last time I looked at it anyway) I couldn't work out how to load my own POI set to it.
You can use as big a tablet as you want, if you can't see a small screen, thousands of tablet and mobile phone holders on eBay, don't know what poi you have that aren't already on it, and if they are your own you already know where they are.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can use as big a tablet as you want, if you can't see a small screen, thousands of tablet and mobile phone holders on eBay, don't know what poi you have that aren't already on it, and if they are your own you already know where they are.
It is the readability of the screen in sunlight, not the size that is a difficulty.

Just downloaded Here We Go again and still can't see how to load my POIs - and with 2265 of them I certainly don't know where they all are :)
Also can't see how to set it up for large vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back