Anyone bought a garmin camper 660?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ultima, Sep 2, 2016.

1. ultima

ultima Funster

Just bought a satnav -Garmin camper 660 from Aldi -£130.Anyone tried one out?Didnt come with mains charger or instructions though!

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

If you google the make and model you could probably print off the instruction manual .. here's hoping it is more informative than my TomTom satnav book which tells me how to switch it on and off. o_O

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Charging for these small gadgets is usually via a standard or mini USB socket.

You can always take it back to Aldi for a refund, their returns policy is excellent - or was it sold as seen, ex demo, as that price is the cheapest I think funsters have seen?

• Like Like x 1
  4. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi Ultima

It comes with a 12V plug which you have to use if you want the Traffic info to work. There is a small lead that comes with it which you use to connect it to the PC by USB for updating and charging. You can buy a Mains charger as an extra.

Here is the manual http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Camper_660_OM_EN.pdf

5. golly

golly Funster

I got one earlier in the year, it works well most of the time:rolleyes:, like all sat navs there will be times it wants to send you down unsuitable roads. I downloaded the manual from Garmin site as a pdf file.

6. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Same as mine, no instructions or mains charger, just a usb for updates and a 12v car charger.. Must say after owning it for 6 months i am not impressed with it.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I also mine bought from Aldi .. and it's one of the best sat navs I've owned..

I use in conjunction with Base Camp and it will NOT send you down roads that are unsuitable..

Like all technology, to get the every best out of it you have to learn how to use it.. and that takes time and effort..

I loaded mine with the Campercontact POIs and used it all over France this summer to find sites and sites.. and it performed great .. it never send me down unsuitable roads.. but then again.. one man's unsuitable is another's OK .. and if a site is down a single track road.. how else would you get to it.. ?

Most sites are not on A or main roads.. if they were, would be complaining they were too noisy .. we want quite and secluded .. can't have it both ways..

It doesn't come with a mains charger.. why would you need that ?

It comes with a 12v cable with cigarette plug and a USB cable for updates and loading routes from Base Camp..

The screen is high quality (unlike the Chinese cheapies) can be viewed even in bright sunlight (not direct) the touch screen is sensitive and accurate..

It also has live traffic updates, connects to a smart phone to find local amenities and shops, it works as a mobile hands free .. and stuff I've probably forgotten.. how many more features does it need ?

A quality sat nav.. .... I challenge anyone to show me better

• Like Like x 2
  8. Giddy Lynn

Giddy Lynn Funster

Crikey, I just bought Garmin Camper 660 LMT and it cost me £259 off amazon ....and I shopped around, never thought about Aldi...how annoying!

9. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Still full price at your local Aldi :(

10. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

Did it come with Lifetime map upgrades?

I ask because I'm also considering a 660LTD from Aldi but I wonder if the price difference is due to the absence of the map upgrade package.

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes.. there is no difference in the model or what it comes with.. I updated mine quite recently, a big update that took a while..

LMT - D stands for Lifeime maps + Traffic updates

info here https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/camper/camper-660lmt-d/prod524489.html

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have the 760, which is the same but a bigger screen.
    Like all sat navs it is not perfect but, as @scotjimland says, use it in conjunction with Basecamp and you can ensure that it won't take you down impassable roads.

13. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

I happily paid £199 for the exact sat nav from Aldi.
    It comes with everything you need. Manual is on line and so is registration and updates.
    Just a small query? Why would you need a mains charger? I have had them with sat navs before and they never saw the light of day.
    However I'm sure Garmin could supply one if you needed.
    Incidentally, you can also get a camera attachment that is Bluetooth. Sounds interesting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Melvin

Melvin Funster

I've found that mine does send me on miles of minor roads when there are A roads that only add a few miles to the journey so I've upped the weight imput and it does seem better.I will find out how much better soon when we're off to Devon and Cornwall for a few weeks.

15. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Check your setting are not set to "Quickest Route" if they are change them to "Fastest". HTH

16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Presently on our second jaunt into France with our Aldi 660 and it is far superior to the built in unit (Autotrail Mohawk 2013) absolutely love it and hasn't put a foot wrong.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Don't you mean "shortest" rather than "quickest"? :)

18. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Yes you are correct "Shortest" I was obviously to "Quick" with my reply......:whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  19. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi @MotorHomeParking.co.uk

As you know I have some reservations on the routing of these Garmins. I note your comment along with @scotjimland about Basecamp and that will avoid impassable roads.

Can I suggest you input the following into your unit and into Basecamp and then answer the following. Start Meopham Green and the End at 9 Pescot Avenue New Barn ( Not my address by some distance).

On the unit why as I have mentioned before it detours through The Parade at the junction of the A227 and B260 which is a parking slot in front of a parade of shops.

If I use Basecamp in RV mode it does not repeat that problem but goes via Melliker Lane, a Single Track, instead of turning by The Parade into the B260 which is a 2 way. Use Google Earth to see the difference in the road types. I know this is not an impassable road but it definitely not a route I would select in a Motorhome or any other vehicle and it is also longer. If you select return trip in Trip planner it does not go back via Melliker Lane.

Also why does the Garmin avoid the A227 unless you force it to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Melvin

Melvin Funster

I can't unstand why you buy a sat nag it doesn't do the job straight out of the box and you have to learn how to use it ( it should be intuitive if it was designed well ) and also have to have a PC to use other programs to get the best out of . Not fit for purpose comes to mind.