Anyone been to Cevennes national park

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sue, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Sue

Sue Funster

Hi, we are going to Cevennes in June and are searching for a good site, not too big, not commercial...but with good , challenging walks nearby., but no hairpin roads to navigate with the motorhome! Anyone have any suggestions? it's so hard to get a real feel from the internet

2. Jenben

Jenben Funster

We have been there, there is a very nice aire at Florac which also has the national park information centre handy for picking up guides and info. There is also an aire at Ispagnac, both these Aires have lovely walks around them. There is a nice acsi campsite in Ispagnac which we used for a couple of nights. Great area, fabulous drive up into Cevennes national park but we didn't overnight in the park as that is discouraged.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor Funster

Was there last June, spent most of our time at Anduze which we loved. Camping Le Pradal was very good, walks into the hills from just across the road from the entrance. River beach and swimming and a very cold pool! Went from there over the Col to Florac, fantastic drive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I drove through the park from Ales to Mende last year. I didn't stay at a site but the aire at Mende was good (free). The town of Mende is interesting too. The tourist information office have a compiled a map which includes a historic trail of approx 18 landmarks (in English). An interesting 3-4 hours.(y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Fenman

Fenman Funster

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sue

Sue Funster

Thank you for these great suggestions

7. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

That brings back memories. In 1971 as a geography student 16 of us hiked along the route of RLS Travels with a Donkey. It was in the Easter holidays with snow on the ground etc. Our first site was at Le Monastier and we worked our way down to Mende. From memory we ended up on the coast at Saintes Marie's de la Mer. I returned to the area about 8 years ago and memories flooded back. There is lots to see and do, ski lifts up into the mountains. Lots of walking and marked trails, "Donkey hire". You'll enjoy and in the words of RLS "it's better to travel hopefully than to arrive" so no need to rush!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Finvarra

Finvarra Read Only Funster

We were there last year, I think it was the most beautiful part of France. There is a lovely Japanese garden on the hillside that has Europes largest collection of bonsai trees, well worth a visit.

Lesley

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lizi

Lizi Funster

We stayed at Camping Chantemerle which was a lovely site with good river swimming about 2k from Florac. Nice little restaurant and a beaver colony at the far end of the site that we all watched in the evening. We were completely charmed by it. We had a tent rather than motorhome so cannot comment on the facilities in that respect. We plan to stay in our van possibly this summer. Loved the whole Cevennes region.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sue

Sue Funster

Thank you Lizi, we have looked at the site and it does look great...I think we will book ....can you remember what the road to the site is like? We had an accident on our 1st trip to,France last year...wing mirror smashed by another motorhome, on a narrow, very fast road...so I am a nervous wreck now!