anybody know anywere near Edinburgh (1 Viewer)

isleofmancath

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
isle of man
Funster No
MH
kontiki swift
Exp
going to Edinburgh next week and scared to death of camping wild does anybody know of any wild camping spots that we could use pretty please??? xxxxx

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
If you're scared to death of camping wild, I don't understand why you're asking for wild camping spots.

Would it not be better/safer to go to a campsite?

Just my two'pennerth

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try the big car park at Liegth /lieth ? (where the royal yatch is ) there is a big shopping centre and we have stayed there tucked up at the back and nobody bothered us :thumb:Also there are a few quiet rds on the way from there to the CC site
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
going to Edinburgh next week and scared to death of camping wild does anybody know of any wild camping spots that we could use pretty please??? xxxxx
I have wild camped all over Scotland with out any problems

if you ask any police motor patrol officer they will know where it is best to stay over night

just remember wild camping over night is not holiday chairs out table up

industrial estates are good to try normally some night security about
out of town shopping areas are good too well lite up at night and again some security about

if you have Google earth have a look at housing estates where they have houses set back of wide roads in posh areas by the time you have moved they all thing you were visiting the house next door LOL

why have a motor home and pay over the top to park for a few hours on a camp site

get down to the sea front and enjoy the wild camping that MHs give you

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I know many on here call wild camping, "staying overnight for free".

I think there is a real difference between free camping and wild camping, though I do agree that neither involve getting out the table and chairs.

As regards moving into industrial estates or 'Posh' housing estates I believe you will find both fairly well Policed, but I would not recommend either unless all you want is a FREE night. :thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have stayed the night in Silverknowes golf course car park just go in and ask the steward if its ok im sure they will say its fine. Then you can pop in and have a pint.

This is just along from the cc campsite

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I used to go each year to the Fringe. When I was in my Iveco "Stealth" self build (no windows... looked like a van) I used to sweet talk the guy in a shed at a small private carpark just past the Pleasance venue (on the left... I believe it is sign posted) and because I looked like a van he let me stay there each year... Brilliant! :thumb:

But... when I went up in my Hymer I had to park at the official campsite out of town (Morton Hall) and bus in and out... :Sad:

Still much more affordable than anywhere "formal" in Festival time...

JJ :Cool:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just a thought but if you are in the CCC they have a holdiay rally each year on a bus route for the Fringe Festival, very handy and very good. When we stayed a couple of years agoe we paid £7 per night. A brilliant week I would not have missed.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Edinburgh also has its dodgy areas. we stayed on the Caravan Club Site there last year. It is near Marine Drive which looks ideal for wild camping but it is not far from Muirhead where I had to visit a local GPs for a prescription .
In the surgery there were signs "Would Patients Please Refrain From Slashing Seats As they Have Just Been Re Covered Again" :Eeek::hardhat:
We then went to a small pharmacy to pick up the prescription and inside was a full time Security Guard to prevent the theft of drugs.:helpsos:
Perhaps it would be wise not to wild camp alone unless you are sure of the area :Eeek:

whatta

Free Member
Aug 21, 2010
Scotland, but on the move
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2001
As usual Carol has beaten me to it!

Until a couple of years ago the Temporary Holiday Site was next to the Showground near the airport at Ingleston. It's now held at a park in Dalkeith, a few miles south of the City Bypass.

Dates are from now until 13th August. Pitch fee is £6.50 per unit night. No need to book in advance.

If the organiser (Mike Wild) has last minute cancellations you may be able to pick up tickets for the Tattoo. He arranges for bus transport to and from the Tattoo on several nights.

Great atmosphere in the City at Festival time...enjoy!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
As usual Carol has beaten me to it!

Until a couple of years ago the Temporary Holiday Site was next to the Showground near the airport at Ingleston. It's now held at a park in Dalkeith, a few miles south of the City Bypass.

Dates are from now until 13th August. Pitch fee is £6.50 per unit night. No need to book in advance.

If the organiser (Mike [HI]Wild[/HI]) has last minute cancellations you may be able to pick up tickets for the Tattoo. He arranges for bus transport to and from the Tattoo on several nights.

Great atmosphere in the City at Festival time...enjoy!

This sounds very useful and also a bit of "wild" camping as well:thumb:

OP
OP
I

isleofmancath

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
isle of man
Funster No
MH
kontiki swift
Exp
wild camping Edinburgh

thanks a lot folks will be on the road tomorrow and hopefully will find somewhere to park up ;)

tad kostka

Free Member
Feb 8, 2013
fife
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1981
wild spot

I live near aberdour and somtimes stay in the park grounds for the weekend it's safe and next to the sea .my freinds come and we have good weekends ,directions---- from forth bridge head for aberdour pass rail statioin about 500 yards take road on left and follow road to y-junction take left branch down to carpark and follow road to the left you will see a white house before you get to the house parking area on left will take large units.good for dogs and safe from wild highlanders.ten minute walk to bus to edinburgh or park m/homr at rail station.this is the best way to get into ediburgh .

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Try the big car park at Liegth /lieth ? (where the royal yatch is ) there is a big shopping centre and we have stayed there tucked up at the back and nobody bothered us

Really? I think you were fortunate. Leith is not the most salubrious area in Edinburgh. I must confess that I am basing this on what my Edinburgh friends tell me.

Now Glasgow, well that's a whole different baw game :ROFLMAO:

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I was looking to see if there are any car parks near Hollywood palace big enough for mh ?
Couldn't see amything on a search site, so will either get a bus in or use mini bus from cc site ?

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I googled it and this thread was in there

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Stay at the CMC site and use the bus. Edinburgh has a great bus service.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back