anybody know anywere near Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by isleofmancath, Aug 7, 2012.

1. isleofmancath

isleofmancath Read Only Funster

going to Edinburgh next week and scared to death of camping wild does anybody know of any wild camping spots that we could use pretty please??? xxxxx

2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

If you're scared to death of camping wild, I don't understand why you're asking for wild camping spots.

Would it not be better/safer to go to a campsite?

Just my two'pennerth

• Like Like x 2
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Try the big car park at Liegth /lieth ? (where the royal yatch is ) there is a big shopping centre and we have stayed there tucked up at the back and nobody bothered us :thumb:Also there are a few quiet rds on the way from there to the CC site
    terry

4. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I have wild camped all over Scotland with out any problems

if you ask any police motor patrol officer they will know where it is best to stay over night

just remember wild camping over night is not holiday chairs out table up

industrial estates are good to try normally some night security about
    out of town shopping areas are good too well lite up at night and again some security about

if you have Google earth have a look at housing estates where they have houses set back of wide roads in posh areas by the time you have moved they all thing you were visiting the house next door LOL

why have a motor home and pay over the top to park for a few hours on a camp site

get down to the sea front and enjoy the wild camping that MHs give you

5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I know many on here call wild camping, "staying overnight for free".

I think there is a real difference between free camping and wild camping, though I do agree that neither involve getting out the table and chairs.

As regards moving into industrial estates or 'Posh' housing estates I believe you will find both fairly well Policed, but I would not recommend either unless all you want is a FREE night. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

I have stayed the night in Silverknowes golf course car park just go in and ask the steward if its ok im sure they will say its fine. Then you can pop in and have a pint.

This is just along from the cc campsite

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Glasgow is pretty wild.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  8. JJ

JJ Funster

I used to go each year to the Fringe. When I was in my Iveco "Stealth" self build (no windows... looked like a van) I used to sweet talk the guy in a shed at a small private carpark just past the Pleasance venue (on the left... I believe it is sign posted) and because I looked like a van he let me stay there each year... Brilliant! :thumb:

But... when I went up in my Hymer I had to park at the official campsite out of town (Morton Hall) and bus in and out... :Sad:

Still much more affordable than anywhere "formal" in Festival time...

JJ :Cool:

9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Just a thought but if you are in the CCC they have a holdiay rally each year on a bus route for the Fringe Festival, very handy and very good. When we stayed a couple of years agoe we paid £7 per night. A brilliant week I would not have missed.

10. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Edinburgh also has its dodgy areas. we stayed on the Caravan Club Site there last year. It is near Marine Drive which looks ideal for wild camping but it is not far from Muirhead where I had to visit a local GPs for a prescription .
    In the surgery there were signs "Would Patients Please Refrain From Slashing Seats As they Have Just Been Re Covered Again" :Eeek::hardhat:
    We then went to a small pharmacy to pick up the prescription and inside was a full time Security Guard to prevent the theft of drugs.:helpsos:
    Perhaps it would be wise not to wild camp alone unless you are sure of the area :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

What? Glasgow, wild? How can you say anything bad about our old "stomping ground"? :Wink:

Friendliest city in the UK, just not very mh friendly unfortunately:RollEyes:

Margaret:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. whatta

whatta Funster

As usual Carol has beaten me to it!

Until a couple of years ago the Temporary Holiday Site was next to the Showground near the airport at Ingleston. It's now held at a park in Dalkeith, a few miles south of the City Bypass.

Dates are from now until 13th August. Pitch fee is £6.50 per unit night. No need to book in advance.

If the organiser (Mike Wild) has last minute cancellations you may be able to pick up tickets for the Tattoo. He arranges for bus transport to and from the Tattoo on several nights.

Great atmosphere in the City at Festival time...enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

This sounds very useful and also a bit of "wild" camping as well:thumb:

14. isleofmancath

isleofmancath Read Only Funster

wild camping Edinburgh

thanks a lot folks will be on the road tomorrow and hopefully will find somewhere to park up ;)

15. tad kostka

tad kostka Read Only Funster

wild spot

I live near aberdour and somtimes stay in the park grounds for the weekend it's safe and next to the sea .my freinds come and we have good weekends ,directions---- from forth bridge head for aberdour pass rail statioin about 500 yards take road on left and follow road to y-junction take left branch down to carpark and follow road to the left you will see a white house before you get to the house parking area on left will take large units.good for dogs and safe from wild highlanders.ten minute walk to bus to edinburgh or park m/homr at rail station.this is the best way to get into ediburgh .

16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Really? I think you were fortunate. Leith is not the most salubrious area in Edinburgh. I must confess that I am basing this on what my Edinburgh friends tell me.

Now Glasgow, well that's a whole different baw game :Rofl1:

17. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Thread is 5 months old.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Oops, sorry :Blush::Blush:

• Like Like x 1