Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
anyone own an Apple iPad Air 16Gb Wi Fi tablet as I am thinking of getting one and believe its one of the best for travelling:thumb:

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
anyone own an Apple iPad Air 16Gb Wi Fi tablet as I am thinking of getting one and believe its one of the best for travelling:thumb:

It is a lovely bit of kit, that is for sure.

Do you have any other computers though? If you are used to using a PC you may find the Apple system a little unusual. My preference has always been for the android tabs. The Samsung Galaxy is one of the best on the market.

If you are already an Apple user, then I would say go for the iPad. Just have a little think about what you are going to be doing with it. 16GB is not a huge amount of storage, and once you have loaded a few of your favourite CD's to listen to, and taken some photo's and video, it will soon be used up.

Also, decide if you want to get something which you can put a sim card in as then you will be online even if there is no wifi hotspot available. The alternative is to set up a wifi hot spot using your smart phone if you have one and connect to the internet using that. This is what I tend to do with my laptop. :Cool:

Chris69

Free Member
Feb 5, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Hi I bought my first Apple devise just before Christmas and I love it.

It is an iPad mini 64 gb 3G and wifi. I paid £319 at PC World.

I was so impressed I later bought an iPhone the 2 synchronise contact, diary, and apps automatically.
No need for antivirus software either.
I have added a Giffgaff SIM card for use 3G in UK when no wifi available

I have always had Windows based laptops and android phones in the past but when my laptop is next renewed it will be an Apple.

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months

Highly recommend. Bought one for my wife for Christmas and she loves it. I am still using the previous iPad.

Just a thought for you, if you don't get the 3/4G version you will have to rely on finding a wifi connection if you need/want to get online with it whist away, not always that easy especially in rural areas.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought the ipad 2 almost 3 years ago.. love it...

My input.. Buy one with a bigger storage and dont bother with the 3g version.
Instead get a Mifi.. 3g can cost you £100 more and you are limited to just using the sim in the ipad. A MiFi will be about £40 plus you can share with other devices or give friends access...:thumb:
Plus many smartphones will do "teathering" so you may be able to use that for your internet access, i do...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've an iPad 2 and love it.

I recently bought a MacBook and find the iPad far easier to use, especially for the web.

My iPad is overdue an upgrade and I think I'll get the wifi-only iPad Air rather than paying for a SIM contract. As Tonka correctly said, it's easy to tether your phone to your tablet.

You won't regret it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
My wife has an ipad2 and loves it, but it is not for me. The problem you will have is that the memory is non-expandable (without considerable faffing about) and 16Gb may sound a lot, but it won't be when you start putting on music, maps, piccies of the grandkids and hols etc. The other problem is that wifi only means that you will be limited in when you can use it - better to go for the 3G/4G model for when you are about in the motorhome.

I personally prefer Android systems for both tablet and phone, because they are much more flexible in the way that they can be used and expanded. I am able to add any storage on my Asus tablet by way of SD slots and a USB port. And I can also use it the way I want it used - the Apple system is too restrictive for me in that respect.

But it is a good bit of consumer electronics and most of the time it is very easy to use, so I am not saying you should not buy it. In many respects it is technology for technophobes.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
I bought an iPad Air just after Christmas, bought separate sim package through EE 14.99 per month rolling contract after two months. Did this so could change supplier if not happy. Love the Ipad, (first time ipad user, struggled a bit at first, but soon got the grips with it). Wouldn't be without it. Have used the EE network across North and South of England, and found it pretty good, often better that the local wifi.

One happy teddy here.

:roflmto::roflmto::Smile:::bigsmile:

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Ipad

Hi
I have the iPad Air great bit of kit,used all over Europe,I also agree with Tonka just buy a Mifi
and tether to that no need for 3/4g just use what ever Wifi is available.
I also have a Sandisk Media Drive which I can load all my Movies,pictures and files too and look at without needing any Wifi it has it s own(inbuilt).
www.amazon.co.uk/scandisk+player‎:thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I have a non-SIM Air (32Gb) and love it. as others have said, use MiFi or free wifi when you can. I have an iBoost unit for use in Europe. if in the UK I set up my iPhone as a hotspot and use that as I have an unlimited data contract.

one word of caution with Airs - the glass screen is a little more fragile than previous iPads. my Air replaced an iPad2 and to make the Air thinner and lighter, they have made the glass screen cover thinner.

I cracked the screen on my Air after about 6 weeks - I just knocked the edge with a glass and it propagated a crack across the glass so I had to go to an Apple store to sort it out. as I didn't have Apple Cover it could have cost me over £200 - I managed to negotiate a deal to replace it for c£70. (they don't replace the glass, they provide a replacement unit). so my advice would be - take out Apple Cover for insurance and get a bumper cover for the edges to reduce the possibility of damage. I learnt a lesson there.

and FWIW, my missus has a Nexus Android tab and phone - so we have both tech bases covered....:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back