Any Updates on UK TV Across Europe Please

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hydrocell, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Hydrocell

Hydrocell Funster

Getting ready to go to Portugal soon and seeking any new info on sat signals across France, Spain and Portugal with an Oyster 11 85cm auto dish.

Last trip was not very successful.

Regards
    Ray

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

They haven't increased the satellite footprints if that's what you're asking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Same as last year

4. Hydrocell

Hydrocell Funster

Hi Nick
    Just wondering if anyone has a particular frequencies they use to get a signal further that the south west of France, or weather I might need down load new software or re set.

In may this year i got a signal for ITV, BBC, S4C and 5 as far as Taverner's, only difference is that i change my receiver from Sky to Maxview.

Regards
    Ray

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It doesn't work like that with satellite. You aren't tuning to a frequency as such, like you would if you were using an aerial. Once you go too far in whichever direction, South in your case, away from the area covered by the satellite's footprint it effectively drops below the horizon so the dish can't see it any more and you stop getting a signal.

Sometimes if weather conditions are favourable you will pick up something further South, or East, than you normally would but that's just luck.

That's the very basic version. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with the complicated one.

6. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

As I understand it, the signal beam became more focused on the UK, the farther out of the focused beam the fainter the signal hence down in Spain people are using 1 - 2 metre dishes, where you got to last year with the 85cm will be the same. Bigger dish will be your answer if practicable and or worth it ?
    Think of it like your headlamp beam,the further away from its focus the less chance you have of reading a paper. Your dish is the light/signal collecter. Bigger the dish generally the more light/signal you collect.
    Also a more sensitive(better noise suppression) LNB would help and maybe eke out a few more degrees South !

Also it actually doesn't disappear below the horizon, going South it actually rises higher, the satellite doesn't move, you do,make sure you have the attitude ie the angle above the horizon adjustment correct (of course this is for manually pointed dishes) I found the attitude from Scotland to Southern Germany for example quite different.

And that is still a simple answer :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

We've spent 3 weeks zig zagging France and hadn't any problems with TV reception. Once at Millau we know from earlier in the year it will start to deteriorate. We use an 85 cm dish but don't bother the Sky card rubbish. We're up in the Lot Gorges at the moment and reception is good as is our 3 mobile Internet and phone calls.

8. Hydrocell

Hydrocell Funster

Thank you all for you're comments, I will post my results on my travel's in the next few weeks, I will however be taking the two receivers too see which works the best.

Regards
    Ray

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

you need a really BIG dish these days. many now hire if wintering somewhere in the south

10. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

We're now in Gunzenhausen slightly south East of Heildelberg and we have Sky news which is fine and a broken signal of BBC this evening but it's been good during the day.

11. Moodybrook

Moodybrook Funster

We with an 85cm (with upgraded LNB)were fine in Fussen (as far away as we got) and Landsberg. (Freesat 168 channels), May 2015.

12. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn Funster

BBC 1 ITV 1,2,3,4 Channel 4 plus a few others available in Valence and Digne-les-Bain without any picture break up , we do have Autoskew which fine tunes the LNB

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 2