Any tug along car recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
We are contemplating a small car to take along with us on our UK adventures. The car will also be a get around for the wife when at home and our tugger when away. The plan is to get an A frame jobby and have the car adapted to suit. We have looked at car trailers but they seem a pain once at the site.

Any car recommendations to fulfil the role? What one have you gotand how do you rate it.

As always, any guidance, recommendations or this is better's will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
4 door Toyota Aygo... don't know it`s on the back...:thumb:

Hooked up to a Tow car 2 tow bar electronic system...

Which is idiot proof, has to be for me to use it... :RollEyes:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Remember to check your tow weight, I see you have an Apache 700..
The later models can only tow 1050 kg as the towbar will be mounted on the chassis extensions, Earlier models can do a little more but not much..
You will find several cars under this weight but best to check and be aware of it..

Few for sale here,,
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just bought a fiat panda, going to Armitages on monday for an A frame.
Just the right size for a fold up wheelchair in the back and 2 small dogs harnessed on the back seat. Small and nippy.
Used to have a 2CV on a trailer,it was a pain to get on/off. Took me a good 20mins each time.
Watched a guy with a panda, 3 mins to unhook and park the car still with A frame on with the jockey wheel down.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

armitage a frame towing a kia picanto , use it to carry wifes mobility scooter plus bits and bobs dont know its on the back,dont forget to keep speed down,£60 3 points overtaking in outside lane of m/way:thumb:

Attachments

• misterton gala 018.jpg
    misterton gala 018.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 28

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Toad

Hi

Toyota Aygo Automatic.

Not all automatics suitable. For instance the Toyota iQ automatic isn't suitable I understand as it has a different type of Auto box.

Agree I don't know it is behind me and seems to reduce MH mpg by about 2 miles. Just remember that if you stop for a long time with the car attached you should check to see if the Towbar is still compressed as the unit stopped has resulted in the brake lights in the car staying on although the vans are off. Our setup, provided by Towtal, means that the MH does supply power to the cars lights, including the brake lights, when the vans lights are on.

One other thing you can do is buy a spare key but ask that it is not electronically logged to the car. You can then use this in the ignition as required to release the steering lock as you are travelling but whilst turning this key fully will turn the engine over the car will not actually fire up.

Doug

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We were considering getting an A frame too but decided against it due to the issues in Europe and potential issues here in the UK. We have decided on a fiat 500 with a 'smart trailer' as being our best option. It too will be swmbo's daily driver whilst we are at home. What issues have come up re trailers on sites btw?
We think the trailer takes up minimal space when on site.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when choosing a tow car you must take into account the cars GROSS weight.

as with any trailer, its the maximum permitted weight on the VIN plate which VOSA take into account...even if the trailer is empty.
dont forget to add in the weight of the actual A frame as well...it all counts towards the gross weight

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We were considering getting an A frame too but decided against it due to the issues in Europe and potential issues here in the UK. We have decided on a fiat 500 with a 'smart trailer' as being our best option. It too will be swmbo's daily driver whilst we are at home. What issues have come up re trailers on sites btw?
We think the trailer takes up minimal space when on site.

Hi thanks for getting back - and an alternative too.
Only one issue seen at a site when the site owner got all 'emotional' over the car trailer that came in on a MH. It was a large car trailer which he put at the 'non-awning side - the site guy moaned it takes up space, makes the grassy area look scrappy and cited that kids might injure themselves on it, especially in the dark. Not that I agreed with the site guy but I could see what he was bleating about. Just I would rather not get into conflab, a smaller trailer may be an answer.
What's a smart trailer?
Regards,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
a smart trailer is specifically designed and balanced to carry a smart car.

a 'bantam' trailer would also do the job

Last edited:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
There are several trailers out there suitable for Smart ForTwo and similar little cars like the Fiat 500 - we had a Brian James Smart Car trailer designed specifically for the Smart, and had the additional load space (piece of board) fitted so it could be used as a flatbed type trailer for anything that fitted, like a tractor mower etc. we hardly ever used ours and sold it about a year or two back - it towed beautifully and the CC had no issue with it provided you stayed on your pitch, which made it a bit tight at times. No idea about private sites , but trailers do have a large footprint so potentially a problem and can also be easily stolen when you are out for the day.......so another lot of wheel locks etc to worry about :Eeek:

Not cheap either - ours ended up being around the £2K mark, There are a few independent manufacturers around who do similar, good products.

We will need to change our Smart Toad as we have two dogs now, so watching with interest to see what automatic may be suiitable.........?

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
we went with tow car to tow bar - same as Old Mo. Brilliant system. we have a Kia Picanto which again has proved to be an ideal car to tow and to use on the road.
Don

Janet

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
20 years
Is there anybody towing a Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, or the Toyota Aygo that has been to Tow-Bars 2 Tow-Cars. I have had two Peugeot 107s and have had a problem with both. Please check the wire from the cam that operates the brake when towing. Mine has broken and I would like other people to check theirs as they could be towing without any brakes:Angry:
Hi All,
We are contemplating a small car to take along with us on our UK adventures. The car will also be a get around for the wife when at home and our tugger when away. The plan is to get an A frame jobby and have the car adapted to suit. We have looked at car trailers but they seem a pain once at the site.

Any car recommendations to fulfil the role? What one have you gotand how do you rate it.

As always, any guidance, recommendations or this is better's will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is there anybody towing a Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, or the Toyota Aygo that has been to Tow-Bars 2 Tow-Cars. I have had two Peugeot 107s and have had a problem with both. Please check the wire from the cam that operates the brake when towing. Mine has broken and I would like other people to check theirs as they could be towing without any brakes:Angry:

many folks tow without brakes anyway.

mainly those with a cable operated overrun system who insist they can reverse.

badly adjusted you have little or no brakes
properly adjusted you CANNOT reverse....end of !

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
been thinking about toading my renault clio,must look into building an A frame and a braking system:thumb:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Ford KA with Towbars-2-Towcars electronic system the same as Old Mo's....if you are going to do it make sure you get an electronic system it should then be compliant with the laws that come into force next year

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ford KA with Towbars-2-Towcars electronic system the same as Old Mo's....if you are going to do it make sure you get an electronic system it should then be compliant with the laws that come into force next year

ALL TRAILERS MANUFACTURED AFTER OCTOBER 28, 2012.

New laws that apply to almost every trailer completed after 28-10-12 mean that very few new trailers can be sold or used in the UK unless they have an approval certificate. This change has been brought about by a vehicle quality standardisation programme instituted by the United Nations, requiring whole vehicle type approval on new trailers made or sold in the UK. These rules have been in place in mainland Europe for many years.

What it means to us in the UK is the end of cowboy trailer building. Every part of the manufacturing process and every bought-in part used to assemble a trailer now has to pass stringent quality controls.

my interpretation of the above is....... A frames manufactured and fitted after the above date will become illegal as no A frames will have type approval.....too expensive on a small scale...... and as the A frame becomes part of the car the whole thing will not be type approved as a trailer

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi All,

Regards,

Each to their own but I love my fiat panda 100bhp, fully race prepared, quick as lightening blue tooth climate sport mode 6 speed 40mpg driven hard 50 driven nice, my Newfoundland dog fits in the boot due to the car shape, only 900kg...

I kid you not its like driving a go kart....Jeremy clarkson tested one and liked it so much he brought one. Such fun and gets me to work on time.

Easy to tow in the a frame, lowered and close to the floor so easy to get in, although the suspension may rock your bones..

Think fiat 500 atbarth, different body shell and half the price :thumb:

It saddens me that One day it will have to go

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Smart car on a woodford trailer. The trailer is a bit big but an Abarth cabriolet on the way which will fit. No issues on site with a trailer. Most sites are really accommodating and will even help you place it in your pitch if needed.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rule of thumb on many sites.....everything you bring must fit within your allotted pitch, including a trailer and car.
puts economy pitches out of the equation.

makes A frames so much easier.

Janet

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
20 years
4 door Toyota Aygo... don't know it`s on the back...:thumb:

Hooked up to a Tow car 2 tow bar electronic system...

Which is idiot proof, has to be for me to use it... :RollEyes:
Please check your wire under the brake pedal

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Chevrolet Matiz on Caratow A frame. We changed from a Smart as we needed a bit more room without much extra weight. The Matiz is 08 plate and we were thinking of updating it but decided to wait for the new law to be in force.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
g8ysn

re-dates for new law does that mean a frames purchased befor that date are legal in uk:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back