Any Truma model knowledge out there?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vanman, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Vanman

Vanman Funster

A few weeks ago all the 5.5m PVC’s had Truma 4 heaters in them, so although the odd one was 4E I didn’t get too bogged down looking at them. Now all of a sudden, as they bring out their 2017 specifications, some have 6, 6E or even 6D as standard or options.

Now I sort of understand that 4/6 run on the gas you carry around in the van … the E models can also run fully or partly on electric? The 6D on diesel? What confuses me is –

1. The 6 models have a 6000w output but according to the website don’t appear to heat the water any quicker?
    2. If I’m mostly going to be using it on EHC then am I better with E because it’s ‘free’ or better on gas/D because it leaves more of the EHU power for everything else?

Any thoughts/corrections? Thanks!

2. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I'm not sure I can add much to ease your confusion, but I have the Combi 6E and when away off grid it gets its fill of gas and when on EHU, it gets Elec only. Elec is definitely slower than gas, so if it is really cold or need water quickly, we use Gas/Elec setting, but if you have the CP panel, you also have the water boost setting. If on Elec only, you can still use kettle and hair dryers etc at the same time so don't need to leave any power for anything else.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

not sure if the number signifies higher output or just the newest model but i would guess that e has the electric element added and d is possibly deisel

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Fletton

Fletton Funster

What he said :)

Edit: when not on EHU which is most of the time... with fridge perm on gas and gas for hot water to shower... I use circa 0.6ltrs of gas per 24 hrs...

Ps... I'm not ridgid about turning water heater on and off ... Sometimes it'll be on an hr or two before I get around to using shower... Also there are many occasions when I forget to turn it off..
    :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. campa cola

campa cola Funster

If you use a continental (or another site) with an EHU under 16 amps and have the water heater on and the kettle most likely one of two things will happen. 1. The breaker will cut out
    2. The electricity volts will drop.....the first casualty of this is my fridge which cuts out. A kettle will boil slowly and the water heater will heat slowly.
    On low amps sites I just use the water heater on the lowest setting and wait an hour or two!!!
    As zigisla says the truma 6 fitted to the Carado/Sunlight range has an option to allow the gas to cut in if the EHU Supply drops below a useable range.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

I have the gas elec 6002eh combi. Use gas for heating water for showers use it on 40 because 60 is too hot . 15 minutes will give enough for 2 showers and the washing up. Turn it off then. If we are on why and need heating I use a small elec heater. If it's cold we leave it on if we go out . If it is really cold I use gas heating to warm it up quickly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ludo

ludo Funster Life Member

The Truma 6D is in fact 6 kilowatt diesel powered. Good if you don't want to carry lots of gas, more weight for booze. Also, no worries about finding gas either bottled or at the pumps. Diesel is available almost anywhere!

• Thanks Thanks x 1