Any top tips for camping in -20 temps

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Dereckerick, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Hi All

We're planning xmas and new year in the Scottish highlands and have been advised by the campsite owners to expect temperatures of -20!

We camp through the winter in the MH but are there any good to know tips that I should be made aware of for such extremes.

We've got snow chains and loads of heaters that run off ehu as well as the on board gas heating.

Family of 4, 2 adults a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Many Thanks

Nick

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Unless you are intending to camp on Ben Nevis I think it very unlikely you will be facing temperatures of - 20 degrees. Certainly temperatures this low are not unknown but they are far from a regular occurrance. In fact these last few years there has been more cold weather in England than in the Highlands of Scotland.

Otherwise I think you are well prepared and should not have too many difficulties. My only tip would be make sure you have bottled water inside the mh just in case your fresh water tank freezes which unless your fresh water tank is on board will certainly happen at these temperatures. Also leave your grey water tap open and allow this waste water to drain into a bucket.

When sleeping remember the greatest heat loss is through your head so make sure a woolly hat is near at hand in case you feel a tad cold.

But then I am sure you know all this already and I am teaching granny to suck eggs.

Have fun and enjoy the Highlands

Norman

3. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

hi Nick i have done xmas/ hogmanay in cairngorms since 1983 and yes -20 is about right the worst we had was 1999 at-27 my advice would be use your gas heating & blow air on at night this will keep the water tank's & pipes flowing and dont let your fresh tank level drop below half & leave grey tank open; use an oil filled radiator or similar on in cab area and hopefully all will be well.

4. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

I think the lady at the site was being over cautious exagerating the temperatures to be honest, maybe her way of making sure people just dont turn up poorly prepared and bang on her door every few hours for assistance.

We go away evey new year with the little ones so are well prepared with back up plans in case of things failling.

Just though any additional tips would be welcome.

Many Thanks

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Wrap up warm and keep the heating on :BigGrin:
    terry

6. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Great stuff!:thumb:

7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

We were in Aviemore the Christmas before last , it dropped to -15 .
    We were fine in the motorhome , deisel heating / great insulation as its fully winterised. Just keep the waste water tap open , into a gorilla tub http://www.gorillatub.com/
    They are great cos they are flexible and the big lump of ice just falls out when you tip it.
    We didnt need to sleep in anything different to what we do at home.
    Me channel No5 and Ralph a string vest :Wink::Rofl1:

As for out and about , ski wear and sheepskin jackets snow/ugg boots. Invest in some sheepskin insoles for your wellies or boots. They make a real difference.
    Dont forget your gloves like me.:Doh:
    I work for TKMaxx so as you can imagine I can get lots of winter wear bargains.
    I left my ski gloves at home and had to pay the resort prices :Eeek:
    They ended up costing me as much as my ski jacket :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phill D

Phill D

a single or none extended drop to a -20 figure is an issue but nothing comared to a sustained ( several days ) at that level. that would require a little more care not least on your water systems but also on your gas flow and possibly on deisel flow. fuel tanks tend to condensate after engine running in very low cold soaked temeratures and if the levels are low and this can cause icing in the lines. so keep the tank reasonably topped up and that will sort that.
    main point though is make sure your antifreeze is at the correct mix strength to accomodate -20 just in case.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Been there done that ... got the frost bite .. best tip I can give you is to book an hotel .. :Laughing:

We had a great time.. but boy was it cold.. the ground was frozen so hard I couldn't peg the awning out.... so I used snow..
    Aviemore 1999/2000 Christmas - New year :Cool:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Its Aviemore we are going to, nothing like a proper white christmas!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. bmb1uk

bmb1uk Read Only Funster

make sure your communications work were you are :thumb:

12. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Rofl1: don't eat yellow snow !:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

Minus 20??!!:Eek!: At least you don't need a washing line - just lean your wet towels against the van!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

DON'T

• Like Like x 2
  15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

• Like Like x 1
  16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

minus 20

I am sure you will manage ok, but i would be a bit dubious about subjecting a 6 month old baby to this extreme!

17. Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Thanks for the concern, I am not a daft parent, if I cant sustain the right environment there's a Hilton less than a mile away.

We will be doing stuff most days, we prepare well.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I used to wear a woolly hat to keep my head warm but it was a pain in the bum as it would keep moving around and made my head itch so instead I use a zip-up hoodie as you can zip it right up which ensures that the hood stays put and also that your neck is kept nice and warm too. :thumb:

If you get really desperate you could try a balaclava but just remember to tell your better half first in case she wakes up in the morning before you and gets one hell of a fright!!!! :Eek!:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Don't do it !!!!

I see you have an Autotrail !!! Your water tank will freeze at -6 or thereabouts !! The lagging on the pipes is insufficient !!
    I toured the Highlands in January once !.....Never again !!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  20. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Just one more detail if you needed it after all those warnings..... I know that English babies can stand the cold a tad more than French ones as a baby adapts his body reactions accordind to where he was born BUT whichever country the baby comes from there's a constant data: a baby gets hot or cold 3 times quicker than an adult!!!!!! You can move and jump and rub your body if you feel cold .. a baby can't . Honestly with a six months baby , I would not risk it. Just my opinion (Childminder since 1990)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

• Like Like x 3