Any top tips for camping in -20 temps (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi All

We're planning xmas and new year in the Scottish highlands and have been advised by the campsite owners to expect temperatures of -20!

We camp through the winter in the MH but are there any good to know tips that I should be made aware of for such extremes.

We've got snow chains and loads of heaters that run off ehu as well as the on board gas heating.

Family of 4, 2 adults a 3 year old and a 6 month old.

Many Thanks

Nick

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Unless you are intending to camp on Ben Nevis I think it very unlikely you will be facing temperatures of - 20 degrees. Certainly temperatures this low are not unknown but they are far from a regular occurrance. In fact these last few years there has been more cold weather in England than in the Highlands of Scotland.

Otherwise I think you are well prepared and should not have too many difficulties. My only tip would be make sure you have bottled water inside the mh just in case your fresh water tank freezes which unless your fresh water tank is on board will certainly happen at these temperatures. Also leave your grey water tap open and allow this waste water to drain into a bucket.

When sleeping remember the greatest heat loss is through your head so make sure a woolly hat is near at hand in case you feel a tad cold.

But then I am sure you know all this already and I am teaching granny to suck eggs.

Have fun and enjoy the Highlands

Norman

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Hi All

We're planning xmas and new year in the Scottish highlands and have been advised by the campsite owners to expect temperatures of -20!

We camp through the winter in the MH but are there any good to know tips that I should be made aware of for such extremes.

We've got snow chains and loads of heaters that run off ehu as well as the on board gas heating.

Many Thanks

Nick
hi Nick i have done xmas/ hogmanay in cairngorms since 1983 and yes -20 is about right the worst we had was 1999 at-27 my advice would be use your gas heating & blow air on at night this will keep the water tank's & pipes flowing and dont let your fresh tank level drop below half & leave grey tank open; use an oil filled radiator or similar on in cab area and hopefully all will be well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I think the lady at the site was being over cautious exagerating the temperatures to be honest, maybe her way of making sure people just dont turn up poorly prepared and bang on her door every few hours for assistance.

We go away evey new year with the little ones so are well prepared with back up plans in case of things failling.

Just though any additional tips would be welcome.

Many Thanks

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
hi Nick i have done xmas/ hogmanay in cairngorms since 1983 and yes -20 is about right the worst we had was 1999 at-27 my advice would be use your gas heating & blow air on at night this will keep the water tank's & pipes flowing and dont let your fresh tank level drop below half & leave grey tank open; use an oil filled radiator or similar on in cab area and hopefully all will be well.

Great stuff!:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We were in Aviemore the Christmas before last , it dropped to -15 .
We were fine in the motorhome , deisel heating / great insulation as its fully winterised. Just keep the waste water tap open , into a gorilla tub http://www.gorillatub.com/
They are great cos they are flexible and the big lump of ice just falls out when you tip it.
We didnt need to sleep in anything different to what we do at home.
Me channel No5 and Ralph a string vest :winky::ROFLMAO:

As for out and about , ski wear and sheepskin jackets snow/ugg boots. Invest in some sheepskin insoles for your wellies or boots. They make a real difference.
Dont forget your gloves like me.:Doh:
I work for TKMaxx so as you can imagine I can get lots of winter wear bargains.
I left my ski gloves at home and had to pay the resort prices :Eeek:
They ended up costing me as much as my ski jacket :cry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a single or none extended drop to a -20 figure is an issue but nothing comared to a sustained ( several days ) at that level. that would require a little more care not least on your water systems but also on your gas flow and possibly on deisel flow. fuel tanks tend to condensate after engine running in very low cold soaked temeratures and if the levels are low and this can cause icing in the lines. so keep the tank reasonably topped up and that will sort that.
main point though is make sure your antifreeze is at the correct mix strength to accomodate -20 just in case.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Been there done that ... got the frost bite .. best tip I can give you is to book an hotel .. :roflmto:

We had a great time.. but boy was it cold.. the ground was frozen so hard I couldn't peg the awning out.... so I used snow..
Aviemore 1999/2000 Christmas - New year :Cool:

Attachments

• img419(1).jpg
    img419(1).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 78
  • img429(1).jpg
    img429(1).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 73
  • img431.jpg
    img431.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 70
  • img437(1).jpg
    img437(1).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 68

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
make sure your communications work were you are :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A couple of useful webpages full of information-

Link Removed

I don't imagine the Highland temperatures will be as persistently low as in the Alps in winter, but there are some good tips listed above. The need for propane gas being most relevant to you!:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
minus 20

I am sure you will manage ok, but i would be a bit dubious about subjecting a 6 month old baby to this extreme!

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I am sure you will manage ok, but i would be a bit dubious about subjecting a 6 month old baby to this extreme!

Thanks for the concern, I am not a daft parent, if I cant sustain the right environment there's a Hilton less than a mile away.

We will be doing stuff most days, we prepare well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When sleeping remember the greatest heat loss is through your head so make sure a woolly hat is near at hand in case you feel a tad cold.

I used to wear a woolly hat to keep my head warm but it was a pain in the bum as it would keep moving around and made my head itch so instead I use a zip-up hoodie as you can zip it right up which ensures that the hood stays put and also that your neck is kept nice and warm too. :thumb:

If you get really desperate you could try a balaclava but just remember to tell your better half first in case she wakes up in the morning before you and gets one hell of a fright!!!! :whatthe:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Don't do it !!!!

I see you have an Autotrail !!! Your water tank will freeze at -6 or thereabouts !! The lagging on the pipes is insufficient !!
I toured the Highlands in January once !.....Never again !!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Just one more detail if you needed it after all those warnings..... I know that English babies can stand the cold a tad more than French ones as a baby adapts his body reactions accordind to where he was born BUT whichever country the baby comes from there's a constant data: a baby gets hot or cold 3 times quicker than an adult!!!!!! You can move and jump and rub your body if you feel cold .. a baby can't . Honestly with a six months baby , I would not risk it. Just my opinion (Childminder since 1990)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I see you have an Autotrail !!! Your water tank will freeze at -6 or thereabouts !! The lagging on the pipes is insufficient !!
I toured the Highlands in January once !.....Never again !!!:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Water barrels with taps in the cab for backup me thinks. We're on a site
so heating isn't a problem, gas central heating, 4 electric fan heaters and 2 oil radiators, not all on at once of course!

Im fairly confident temperatures won't be a constant seriously low temperature, however i will plan for the worst.

I'm going to look at all of the pipe routing and add lagging before we go and make any other adjustments I can.

All part of the adventure, if it wasn't i'd be booked into he Hilton already!

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Great pictures Jim

Thanks for sharing, looks like great fun was had by all.

Go for it Derick and enjoy.::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Brrrr.

We wish you well, one thing we would say the Auto-trail has very little in the form of being winterised, the cab area will be freezing which will send a draught right through the motorhome, perhaps a heavy curtain to seal the cab off will help, certainly screen covers like the silver screen or taylor made will help.
Keeping water from freezing will be the biggest challange, the outlet of pipes are the weakest points.
Good luck and have a wonderful time.:thumb:

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Concerns about baby - err babies are born up here too you know!!!! Enjoy, you will have a lovely time, plenty of snow there are the moment, all ski runs open but, of course, that can change overnight!
Just keep the heating on low all the time and you will be fine.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I used to wear a woolly hat to keep my head warm but it was a pain in the bum as it would keep moving around and made my head itch so instead I use a zip-up hoodie as you can zip it right up which ensures that the hood stays put and also that your neck is kept nice and warm too. :thumb:

If you get really desperate you could try a balaclava but just remember to tell your better half first in case she wakes up in the morning before you and gets one hell of a fright!!!! :whatthe:

No way would I stay in a van where you have to wear hats in bed to keep warm! :Eeek:

On the subject of babies (which I know absolutely nothing about but that never stops Funsters anyway!): the Inuit seem to manage. ::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Concerns about baby - err babies are born up here too you know!!!! Enjoy, you will have a lovely time, plenty of snow there are the moment, all ski runs open but, of course, that can change overnight!
Just keep the heating on low all the time and you will be fine.

No way would I stay in a van where you have to wear hats in bed to keep warm! :Eeek:

On the subject of babies (which I know absolutely nothing about but that never stops Funsters anyway!): the Inuit seem to manage. ::bigsmile:

You beat me to it Maz ... I was away so never had time to answer this . Of course babies are given birth everywhere in the world: in Igloos and as well in the savannah. But the thing is their body is already adapted . Put an "igloo baby" in the savannah (or vice versa) and you'll have problems! I will just take an example of babies born in France going to Guyana.. well the moisture % is 80% in Guyana .... consequences are quite amazing on the skin, (adults as well as babies sweat an awful lot , they are wet all the time) and when they come back to France ... the skin is sooooo dry it cracks a lot and you have to put a thick cream on their skin, while the babies born over there look absolutly normal.
Babies born in Scotland live for most in their HOUSE.
In any case it was just an opinion , don't worry about it , just some daft one obviously!

Amicalement

Frankie:Cool:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Water barrels with taps in the cab for backup me thinks. We're on a site
so heating isn't a problem, gas central heating, 4 electric fan heaters and 2 oil radiators, not all on at once of course!

Im fairly confident temperatures won't be a constant seriously low temperature, however i will plan for the worst.

I'm going to look at all of the pipe routing and add lagging before we go and make any other adjustments I can.

All part of the adventure, if it wasn't i'd be booked into he Hilton already!
HI,have alook at my festive pics of grantown on spey,Dont be put of by some wimps out there.you certinaly seem to have enough heaters you might be able to sell some of them:ROFLMAO: you'l have a great time.:Smile:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Just one more detail if you needed it after all those warnings..... I know that English babies can stand the cold a tad more than French ones as a baby adapts his body reactions accordind to where he was born BUT whichever country the baby comes from there's a constant data: a baby gets hot or cold 3 times quicker than an adult!!!!!! You can move and jump and rub your body if you feel cold .. a baby can't . Honestly with a six months baby , I would not risk it. Just my opinion (Childminder since 1990)

Amicalement

Do you really think I would even consider putting my child at any form of risk?

I have a considerable better understanding of homeostasis and the role of medulla oblongata than a Childminder(1990), including signs symptoms and more importantly as a PARENT being able to first hand monitor behaviour changes. Preventing such things in the first place is key. If my van isn't up to it i would know by now, we've spent the last 5 years away at new year in cumbria, althought the temps were a little less severe certaily -10 at times, i spend most nights in my undies with no covers on because its too hot

Please anyone don't take this the wrong way but, I am not about to start molly coddling my kids and keeping them wrapped up in cotton wool.

Be prepared and prepare them well.

Oh by the way, the first child was with us in Edinburgh camping at 3 weeks old, hes still fine and the stump is healing well!!:whatthe:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I always have to do this as I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (CFS) which means that I feel the cold a lot more than 'normal' people do ... :Sad:

If you think that's bad you ought to see me on a summer's day if it is a bit cooler than normal, I'm wrapped up like an Eskimo!!! :cry:

Consequently I have to take such a large variety of clothes away on holiday with me ... well, that's what I tell hubby anyway! :roflmto:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi All

Many Thanks

Nick

Do you really think I would even consider putting my child at any form of risk?

I have a considerable better understanding of homeostasis and the role of medulla oblongata than a Childminder(1990), including signs symptoms and more importantly as a PARENT being able to first hand monitor behaviour changes. Preventing such things in the first place is key. If my van isn't up to it i would know by now, we've spent the last 5 years away at new year in cumbria, althought the temps were a little less severe certaily -10 at times, i spend most nights in my undies with no covers on because its too hot

Please anyone don't take this the wrong way but, I am not about to start molly coddling my kids and keeping them wrapped up in cotton wool.

Be prepared and prepare them well.

Oh by the way, the first child was with us in Edinburgh camping at 3 weeks old, hes still fine and the stump is healing well!!:whatthe:

Hey ... why are you getting grumpy now ? YOU asked ... I only gave an opinion (as I already said) according to what you've given us as infos : You never said in the first post you would be on a site with electricity : you said your heaters were working with ehu ...or not!... I didn't even realise when you spoke about campsite owners that it meant you would be on a site but then it's not your fault ... just me who didn't get it all. Then you ask for tips but you obviously have all (snow chains ..etc..)and you mention family.... so I thought tips are not only asked for motorhome but for children as well ... otherwise why mention them???? If you had only said WE and not I ... I guess we would all have understood you were talking about other members of the family.
Now do I consider you putting your child at any form of risk ? Well I am very sorry to tell you that I know nothing about you. I know a lot of people who do ... but they don't even realise it. I would not make a guess about you, I just see the post and what it's asking for. We are all different and react differently. You know everything about yourself and your capacities (Still I don't get why you're asking then) about how good is your van, I don't.

And BTW ..... childminders deserve all respect my dear... they have such responsabilities with all these little lives to care ... I am not sure that you and your knowledge would stand such an every day stress, every single second is a potential danger!

Have a very nice time in cold as in warmth . I will be very careful next time not to try to be helpfull when I'll see your username. As far as I am concerned ... end of discussion.

Amicalement

Edit: And just in case you wonder why babies are so important to me ... One thing you don't know about me : I had 7 pregnancies for 8 babies (my daughter is the rescued one of twins) ... and only 2 alive ! But ..... you could not know could you??? No one knows nothing about other people unless they are told!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back