Any suggestions for our next van? (1 Viewer)

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
We are on our second campervan at the moment, and are thinking of a major upgrade. This will involve us buying a new van and having it converted to our own spec. We think we know what we want now!

First up, we don’t want a coach-built vehicle but a white van conversion. Our present van is a LWB Ducato, which is just shy of 7m long. We don’t want anything longer.

However, we do want to fit everything in, and fully expect some compromise may be necessary.

Our current van is a 6 speed diesel which we would want again. However, there would need to be a few changes. We don’t at present have air-con, or cruise control both of which we do want now. Also, we are wondering about an automatic, as we are getting on a bit and we have recently enjoyed driving some hire cars with auto gears. Our present van is a lot quieter than our previous Ducato, and we appreciate this. We manage 30 mpg on our present van, and are not keen to worsen this figure.

In terms of space, these are our priorities, which are largely dictated by our preference for wild camping rather than using sites (which we consider a failure on our part!):

1. Present van has what amounts to a wetroom and gives a nice spacious shower

2. We want a permanent double bed or at least one which is easier to erect than our present van where the bed is transverse just behind the driving seats and which we find increasingly irksome to dismantle and mantle.

3. A decent kitchen with oven and at least three rings as we rarely overnight close to a pub or restaurant and do all our own cooking.

4. Space for a Gaslow system

I know, we want the impossible!

So, what sort of van should we go for? Some friends have recommended a Ford Transit, but I’m open to suggestions. This decision will be important as this van will have to see us into the care-home.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We had the same thoughts and have ordered a new twin wheel Iveco Daily 3.0L, 170bhp, 8 speed full automatic. Some compromises to be made but hope it will be worth it and its going to be converted to our own spec.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Stealaway. Looking at the picture is the low floor one on the left? I like the idea of a smaller profile offered to the air resistance.

Hi Ranger, that sounds quite a beast - twin wheel and 3 litre. How long is it? Do you have an anticipated fuel economy rate?

Anthea, Don't know who @Terry is, or where he resides. Perhaps he'll see this and reply.

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Right, so have tracked down Terry. Hope he'll reply to this thread as I'd welcome his view on my post. I'd also welcome any testimonials from Terry's customers!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Are those low floor vans walk through? They look like seperate box vans?
Ducato range will alow bed transverse if your not exceptionally tall

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i like rear wheel drive . also with fwd it can be low floor but then that makes it harder to have under floor water tanks of any big size .
but bed over garage . for bikes at rear sink cooker one side . shower toilet on the other . seats around a table in front of that possibly giving two decent day laying beds . ideally not involving the cab so that can be curtained off . renault do a rwd.

?

Deleted User
What bed do you have? I made a rock n roll bed that is down in seconds and up just as quick. Bedding is stored underneath it. Just like this but not as tall and i put sides on and a lift up seat for the storage

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Notakwak, That is a very interesting design notion. As for our current (transverse) bed, what makes it hard for a couple of old gits like us is there is really nowhere to stand while you slide out the various concealed bits.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Roger,only my thoughts so shoot away :LOL: I have a soft spot for Ivecos but they simply are not wide enough for what you want the only van is one from the Fiat stable (y)Cab air con is good but after that you struggle to run aircon in the rear without hook up :(Auto box would be excellent(y)Then we come to layout :eek:I am thinking along the lines of =from rear forwards- fixed french bed with wet room type loo/shower down one side of the bed leading onto kitchen area on both sides(y) then onto my pet hate of a dinette :LOL:using the front seats as well as two in rear-all squashed into a sevel van (y)Transits and other vans are simply not wide enough :)you can have a loo/shower aprox 26 ins wide and 4 ft wide bed -though about it a lot and I think it would work ;)
terry

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Hi Ranger, that sounds quite a beast - twin wheel and 3 litre. How long is it? Do you have an anticipated fuel economy rate?
Don't want to think about fuel consumption (its only money). Gone for the 6 metre version as is identical in size to our current van and fits in our garage, cheaper on ferries and is used more and more as a day van. The latest model is wider than previous and the autobox is an 8 speed ZF unit as used in a lot of high end motors.

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Terry, Thanks very much for your reply with its good ideas. I assume that you are referring to a 4ft bed arranged longitudinally? I don't know what a French bed is. Or a sevel van.
I have no detailed knowledge of van widths - I guess I now know why the most popular base for a van is the Ducato!
One other issue which I forgot to put in my OP is that we had a 90 litre tank put into our present van to make it possible to have three nights between fill-ups. We want to retain this feature.
Our current wet-room is 27.5" wide, so this may be one of the compromises we need to make.
My wife, who is a great lateral thinker and spends a lot of time in the small hours lying awake thinking and planning, was wondering about having a transverse bed at the back. In the daytime the middle third would be a board (table?) stored somewhere and the head and foot thirds would be permanent seating, perhaps with a table leg socket in the middle of the floor. I know this isn't a full-time bed, but it's pretty close and would avoid the worst aspects of our present set-up. I haven't quite worked out how this might work in terms of using the rear door for getting in and out (obviously not while the bed is made up!)
I think we might well be up for asking you to do a conversion for us as I've looked at the pictures on your web-site and like what I see. I think we might make a trip over to see you in the next couple of months to have a chat - we shall be in the Peak District late July.
Will be away for a few days just now, so don't expect an immediate reply from me.

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi Terry, Thanks for your reply and its helpful suggestions.
One thing I forgot to mention is that we have a 90 litre tank fitted to our current van so we can do 3 nights between fill-ups. We'd want to keep this feature as we are often out in the wilds.
Not sure what a French bed is, or a sevel van.

My wife, who is a great lateral thinker (she has the ideas and then expects others to carry them out!) and spends a lot of time in the small hours lying in bed thinking and planning had the idea of a transverse bed in the back. This would have a middle third consisting of a board (table?) stored somewhere and the head and foot thirds being permanent seating (storage under). Maybe a table leg socket in the floor. I know this isn't quite a permanent bed but it would do away with the worst aspects of our present set-up.
I'm not sure how this would impinge upon use of the rear doors for access (obviously not while the bed is made up!).

Our present wet-room is 27" wide, so perhaps 26" would be OK and just a compromise we need to make.

Looking at your web site I think we might well decide to offer you the job of doing a conversion for us. We shall be in the Peak District at the end of July so maybe we could call on you?

We are away now for a few days, so don't expect instant communication.

OP
OP
Roger Wilkinson

Roger Wilkinson

Free Member
Apr 19, 2010
South Lakes
Funster No
MH
Hi-top van conversion
Exp
since 2008
You must think I'm nuts! Thought I'd lost my first post, so tried to write it again from memory, then found I hadn't lost it after all. Can't see how to delete one of them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You have about 40 mins to edit a post;) Sevel vans are all the same van ie pugs Citroen and Fiat- french bed has a cnr cut off by your feet allowing a door to be used to get into the bathroom-I also think at strange times as to what can make a van different and work
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back